• 1 Post By IdentityCrisisMama
  • 1 Post By lauren
  • 1 Post By lauren

#1 of 26 Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
When do all the kids go back?

Mine go on Wednesday. Just a couple of days left! I am hoping to start getting them on routine Mon and Tues so they are ready on Wed. I have a 4th grader and an 11th grader.

#2 of 26 Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My 9th grader starts tomorrow (Monday.) We moved our college kid into the dorm on last week and she also starts classes tomorrow!

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 26 Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Oh! I forgot to add we also dropped our oldest off at college on Fri and he starts tomorrow. I'm nervous for him! The other two are feeling pretty good about everything over all. How are your kids feeling about it?

#4 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Mine goes back next Monday the 2nd....she is 6 and in 1st grade...
#5 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This is the third week of school for my kids!

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#6 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Both back today - one to 6th and one to 9th. Both in new schools. Both nervous. Definitely some meltdowns yesterday. Going to pick up 9th grader in a few hours. Hope it went OK!

PS Getting into the new routine early is a good idea. We didn't specifically do that, and our wake-up time is being pushed back quite a bit to 6:30. Good thing both schools are lenient the first week!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#7 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Two and a half weeks ago!
#8 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 11:23 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
No idea. We're in the midst of a public school teachers' strike. No school for the foreseeable future.

Ds17 and dd20 have college classes beginning on the 2nd.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#9 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
7th grader went back today. She's feeling good, though felt a little nervous just last evening and this AM. I'm off to pick her up in 5 mins. Excited to hear about the first day.

3 year old pre-schooler goes back a week from tomorrow. She doesn't know it but she will be absolutely thrilled to be back at school, although she's doing extended day 2/3 of her days, which will be a bit of a transition.

*I* go back on Wednesday.

We party pretty hard all summer. We're all ready for routine. Really ready.
lauren likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#10 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLaura View Post
This is the third week of school for my kids!
Wow!!

#11 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
No idea. We're in the midst of a public school teachers' strike. No school for the foreseeable future.

Ds17 and dd20 have college classes beginning on the 2nd.

Miranda

Sorry to hear about the strike! WHat are the issues at hand?

#12 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post
Sorry to hear about the strike! WHat are the issues at hand?
The issues are the usual: money, class composition and class size. But it's all much more contentious right now because of the back-story:

A couple of years ago the government passed a law saying that class size and composition can't be negotiated by the teachers' union. The union challenged the law in the courts and won, but the government decided to appeal the ruling, and the appeal process isn't going to be resolved for another month and a half. So who knows what is going to happen in the meantime. Is the government stalling, expecting to come out on top when the appeal ruling is made? Who knows... Right now the parties are not even meeting to negotiate, though they're both spewing a lot of rhetoric.

We are long-time homeschoolers though, and we will cope just fine if there's no school for a while. Dd11 is still homeschooled, albeit under the umbrella of a public school program, and really nothing will change for her: it's only my reporting that may be on hiatus. Dd15 is due to start at a new big high school in a different community, and is anxious to get started, but it was going to be a scramble to get her moved in time. Now we have all the time we need to get her apartment sorted, and she's still happily working at her café job, reading, playing violin and enjoying hiking and camping. She may decide to start some coursework, if she can figure out what courses she's scheduled for during the first semester.

Miranda

#13 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
DD#1 starts back to classes at community college tomorrow. She's fine with it - it is a return to what she did last year.

DD#2 is in her 3rd week already. She is a Junior this year. She is sorta of excited but sort of dreading it. She has difficult classes, and it's a lot of work. She's had one melt down so far when she declared that she wanted to go back to 5th grade when her biggest problem was writing a paragraph with a topic sentence.

Miranda - what is the "class composition" issue? Here in the states, inclusion of special needs students is an issue, and some teachers are frustrated at having students who have moderate special needs but no extra support in their classrooms, while trying to teach to common core standards. I can see their point.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#14 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
Miranda - what is the "class composition" issue? Here in the states, inclusion of special needs students is an issue, and some teachers are frustrated at having students who have moderate special needs but no extra support in their classrooms, while trying to teach to common core standards. I can see their point.
Yes, it's special needs of various levels and types, and ESL kids, and all the kids who should have received special needs designations but are wait-listed for evaluations, and the kids in need of reading recovery intervention and so on.

Miranda

#15 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh! I forgot to add we also dropped our oldest off at college on Fri and he starts tomorrow. I'm nervous for him! The other two are feeling pretty good about everything over all. How are your kids feeling about it?
DS 13 had a great first day. He made some friends and had people to eat with at lunch (this is an out-of-area charter school so he knew no one in his grade going in.) It's a very different format than he's used to but he thinks it's going to be good.

DD 17 also had a great first day. Loved her professors and subjects. She's a little nervous about the amount of work ahead of her but excited about it too.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#16 of 26 Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post
DS 13 had a great first day. He made some friends and had people to eat with at lunch (this is an out-of-area charter school so he knew no one in his grade going in.) It's a very different format than he's used to but he thinks it's going to be good.

DD 17 also had a great first day. Loved her professors and subjects. She's a little nervous about the amount of work ahead of her but excited about it too.
Good for your 13 yr old. 13 is such a sensitive age, socially!

#17 of 26 Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
She's had one melt down so far when she declared that she wanted to go back to 5th grade when her biggest problem was writing a paragraph with a topic sentence.
Tell your DD I feel the same way!!

#18 of 26 Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
Both back today - one to 6th and one to 9th. Both in new schools. Both nervous. Definitely some meltdowns yesterday. Going to pick up 9th grader in a few hours. Hope it went OK!

PS Getting into the new routine early is a good idea. We didn't specifically do that, and our wake-up time is being pushed back quite a bit to 6:30. Good thing both schools are lenient the first week!
Waking up is going OK. DD1 took the public bus this morning - success! But they both had a hard time eating breakfast/lunch due to anxiety about school, though. Hope that gets better as they settle in.

Hope the teachers' strike is over soon! (with the best possible result)

#19 of 26 Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Our last evening! Tomorrow's the big day. Backpacks are packed. Youngest is tucked in. Whew!
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

#20 of 26 Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM

I went back today (Art education certification) and got a big blow. I found out that my class and DD2's pre-school start at the exact same time. I'm so bummed that I need childcare for such a short amount of time. We have lots of family and support so will get by but I really thought I had the perfect (tight) schedule this semester. Ah, well!

#21 of 26 Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Bummer! Don't you love those setbacks right after you get everything figured out!! I got one of those today having to do with ballet carpooling!
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

#22 of 26 Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We started last Thursday. This year I have one in 6th, 2nd, K, and preschool. They all are at the same school even! The preschooler just goes three mornings a week so I can work those times.

It's going. Everyone has had a rough transition. We keep a tight schedule/routine all year so that wasn't the case. Just lots of special needs, anxieties, and changes it seems.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#23 of 26 Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Bummer! Don't you love those setbacks right after you get everything figured out!! I got one of those today having to do with ballet carpooling!
Yes! They are the worst. I was lucky to have had lunch today with two of my most reliable supports (my mom and my SIL). I told them about my Wednesday (which includes 10 varieties of school sections/drives/carpools between 2 DC's and me). They took pity on me and I'm feeling so much better.

DH also softened on the idea that he may have to miss work from time to time if we have a conflict. I've been a SAHM, part-time, or a student for the entire time I've been a parent so he's just not used to the idea that he may have to take off work to care for kids. I know that sounds kind of surprising but it's an adjustment even I have to make in my mind just because we've never needed to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
It's going. Everyone has had a rough transition. We keep a tight schedule/routine all year so that wasn't the case. Just lots of special needs, anxieties, and changes it seems.
My DC (who is pretty sold usually) was really wobbly last night. I know she was just over-tired from me letting her swim for 5 hours after school. Today was better but we had a surprise crop of anxiety yesterday too.

Deep breaths!

#24 of 26 Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Yes! They are the worst. I was lucky to have had lunch today with two of my most reliable supports (my mom and my SIL). I told them about my Wednesday (which includes 10 varieties of school sections/drives/carpools between 2 DC's and me). They took pity on me and I'm feeling so much better.

I hope you figure out your ballet carpool.

DH also softened on the idea that he may have to miss work from time to time if we have a conflict. I've been a SAHM, part-time, or a student for the entire time I've been a parent so he's just not used to the idea that he may have to take off work to care for kids. I know that sounds kind of surprising but it's an adjustment even I have to make in my mind just because we've never needed to do that.

Quote:
My DC (who is pretty sold usually) was really wobbly last night. I know she was just over-tired from me letting her swim for 5 hours after school. Today was better but we had a surprise crop of anxiety yesterday too.

Deep breaths!

#25 of 26 Old 08-29-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
They all are at the same school even!
That's good! I've been doing two school runs for a few years and so happy now that teenager can take the public bus to school and preteen walks with her friends!

Re: anxiety - Anyone had luck with particular anxiety-reduction techniques, special routines, anything? I have one who is getting treatment soon for anxiety (mainly school related), but I want to try to implement little things at home that might ease the situation - scented candles, special foods, ? Unfortunately, this one is now resistant to yoga, meditation - stuff that has been tried and worked before.

#26 of 26 Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
Re: anxiety - Anyone had luck with particular anxiety-reduction techniques, special routines, anything?
For my DC support looks like a lot of structure and encouragement to organize and complete work in ways that minimize anxiety. But I think that looks different for different kids, YK? Some of DC's friends need a break after school and do homework in the late evenings. DC prefers to bang it out so she can relax and play the rest of the day.

I think the most universal thing we can do is to recognize what works for them and encourage them to follow through on those things.

My DC is in 7th grade. Most of her anxiety seems to be related to needing to stay organized and on top of things. When she doesn't feel in control of that, she gets stressed. Part of me wants to say, "Hey, you know you really don't need to stress over getting your work done a full day ahead of when it's due." But, for her, that's what she needs to do to foeel relaxed. OTOH, two nights ago my DC was stressed about finishing an assignment that wasn't due until the following day. She was exhausted and wasn't thinking clearly. In that case, I encouraged her to see that relying on the cushion she gave herself was a good choice.

It's weird - I parented for 10 years in the moment, not worrying or even thinking about preparing for the future. That changed pretty drastically at around 11, or the start of middle school. Now a lot of what we talk about are building skills specifically for the future. Not sure why that is or how advisable that is.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page