Stunned! Is this going on where you live? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 05-26-2004, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.fairtest.org/Failing_Our_...en_Report.html

This report from fairtest.com came across my desk today...interesting.
#92 of 110 Old 06-01-2004, 11:40 AM

Magnolia and other NJ moms.....I currently teach in NJ in a non Abbott district but I previously taught in two different Abbott districts in Monmouth county ( one of which spends more than 15000 per student and STILL has the lowest scores in the county). The reasons I left were EXACTLY some of the reasons Magnolia states...Abbott districts are forced to choose an educational program. Both districts I worked for used SFA (success for all) which is extremely retrictive for teachers (the trainer called it 'teacher proof') and actually has a TEACHER SCRIPT with what you are supposed to SAY each day, each lesson. Sooooo what did I go to school for an educational degree for?????I should have taken drama instead so I can learn my lines quickly and effeciantly. AW it is part of the reason I left the district even though I loved teaching the children of the district. I now am in the district where the teachers were jailed for striking and things are better in that I have more academic freedom. I teach middle school so our challenge with No Child Left Behind is unique because a lot of middle school teachers hold k-8 certificates and are not certified in a specific subject, but may have taught themselves the subject matter and have wonderful teaching styles and methods and UNDERSTANDING of middle school age children (which with this particular age group is key). With NCLB you have to be certified in your subject (special ed also which is another HUGE thing) for middle school or the district will send home a letter to the parents saying "your child is being taught by a teacher who is not 'highly qualified'. Well I know of a science teacher who has been teaching 16+ years on the middle school level and 23 years total, is a great teacher,(used as a mentor for new teachers) innovative, patient and loves teaching this age group (those of you with middle schoolers know what I mean) but still had trouble qualifying due to her k-8 certificate. Very frustrating!!!! In NJ you have the NCLB PLUS the existing political educational problems.....
#93 of 110 Old 06-01-2004, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzannah
I don't teach to the test ('cuz I'm just like that, and because I have highly adaptable students), but I have to say that if we don't review at least the format of the test all students are screwed.
Wow, this is what I did when teaching too! I taught in Private Catholic schools but the arch diocese required testing. I NEVER did those stupid lesson plans that the test booklets provided.

Quote:

So teachers are in an impossible position. The curriculum here has also been divided into three categories: totally important, pretty important and get to it if you have time (not the actual labels, but I forget them!!!). The totally important stuff is useless crap like the parts of speech, and the get to it if you have time stuff is analyzing a writer's message (WTF!!). The curriculum has also been standardized to such an extreme that teachers are forced to use textbooks almost 100% of the time, which goes against everything I ever learned about human development and effective teaching (and I don't do, b/c I teach gifted students, so apparently gifted students get to have a thought-provoking education, whereas regular-ed students get to become automatons). Some schools are so precise that every math teacher needs to be on the same page on the same day doing the same problem, and administrators walk around checking that it is so.
Have admins. heard of blooms taxomony or multiple intelligence learning? identify is the lowest brain level activity! when i taught, i actually used reading workshops (based on nancie atwell) and my kids all loved it! I would express to the hte importance of not just telling me they liked a book but why! when reading their journals i would continually ask the why to all their i don't or like statements. we even had kids come up w/ their own written and acted out monologs based on a character in their book we'd talk about their books in an open format. it was so cool as the year progressed to see several students reading the same book and then going oh....oooops can't say anymore or so and so hasn't gotten there yet. i had kids discovering their own reading style too. funny i had one student abandon 7 books and then finally read 1 all the way through and she was like, wow, i really liked that! and she was so proud of herself for doing it too. she always just read what teachers threw her way and kept picking out similar books until i just finally said read until you find a book you like even if that means stopping after 30 pages and finding something new.

and 1 school, i didn't even tell the principal i was doing this. what's funny is when he came to my room, i taught like he wanted to see teaching done...outta of a book, LOL! The other times I rarely had a book and actually only requested 25 copies of the book to keep in my room. students had to check it out if they didn't get something completed in class time. and spelling books. so sad the school where i did change the spelling system to be personal spelling which does work went back to spelling lists and books. so sad

all this nclb talk is really making not want ps even more for dd. i've been looking around for other options but waldorf is so freaking $$$. we're now moving out to the desert (no joke) so I dont think i'll have many options other than hs. i'm highly considering it but worried that i'd never get the learning to read thing down w/ dd. she's 2 and this is one of the hardest decisions i've ever had to make for her

mind typos spelling. brain isn't functioning and nursing baby right now. do you find when you nursing and type your brain turns to mush sometimes?
#94 of 110 Old 06-04-2004, 06:47 PM

I recently left my teaching job (public high school) to stay home with my son. I can't decide whether it is a great time to be out of education until this NCLB foolishness wears itself out or whether I am a rat deserting a sinking ship. I really believe in the necessity of public education and I loved my students (yes, it is actually possible to love a group of adolescents ). I am, though, really frightened for the future of public education.

Something needs to be done. None of us (even staunch supporters of PS) would argue that the system is perfect or that reforms are not necessary in many areas. However, NCLB is a nightmare. I try to believe that the intentions of the act are good, but you know what they say about good intentions....

All of us, teachers, former teachers, parents of school age children, grandparents, childless adults, adults with grown children, need to demand that real, funded, community and teacher driven reform happens in our schools. Even if your kids are homeschooled, privately educated or grown up, what happens in public school has an effect on your life. These kids are our communities.

My plea is that people will get educated about NCLB and then get active about making change...whatever that change means to you for your kids, grandkids, neighbors, future employees etc. There shouldn't be one way to educate our children and that needs to be true within the public school system as well as available through PS alternatives (private schools, homeschool etc.)

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#95 of 110 Old 06-04-2004, 07:13 PM

I haven't read through all these posts but I think my nephew is part of the NCLB program and you know what? He consistently fails math for the past three years and his other grades are not so great either and they pass him! And, summer school is no longer an option for kids that need to catch up. He desprately needs to be held back and they won't do it!
#96 of 110 Old 06-04-2004, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
jessemoon can you recommend the best way to become more informed about NCLB other than the mainstream press?

#97 of 110 Old 06-05-2004, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren
jessemoon can you recommend the best way to become more informed about NCLB other than the mainstream press?
Contact the National Education Association...not a totally unbiased source, either as they are very anti-NCLB, but they can point you toward the actual text of the act and have resources about how all of the states are attempting to meet it.

Also, your state Board of Education (or whatever it is called in your state) should have the information for you. It is all public record and I would be willing to bet that most states have info. on the web about their attempts to comply. They can't come right out and say that they hate it, obviously, but you can get an idea of what is being attempted in your state.

Good Luck!

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#98 of 110 Old 06-06-2004, 05:38 PM

I, too, am a public school teacher. I teach high school English in Georgia. We have some of the highest-stakes testing here. Over the past year, here is what I witnessed:
Fall: Juniors take the Georgia High School Graduation Test (Writing). they give this one to them so early because it has such a high failure rate. My sophomores took the PSAT.
Spring:Juniors take the rest of the Graduation tests. They are tested in 4 subject areas. If they do not pass one of these standardized tests (which we the teachers cannot know what is on and cannot prepare the kids for) they do not graduate from high school no matter what their grades are.
Late Spring: Now, even though we all have finals for our classes, Georgia is introducing the End of Course Tests. Basically, its a final for the whole year long course. The kids get to tak 2 finals per class now!

I watched in horror as the Graduation test scores came in the WEEK BEFORE GRADUATION. I saw girls huddled in the bathroom crying who had glorious plans of walking down that aisle to get the diploma only to find out that they they didn't succeed well on a standardized test that the teachers don't even know the contents of.

If anyone knows of a good commune that I could come work on as an English/Humanities teacher.... I can't stand this anymore. Its only my first year of teaching too.......

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05
#99 of 110 Old 06-06-2004, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is "NO Child Left Behind" the same as "Goals 2000"?

If so, you can blame both Bush Jr. and Clinton.

In CA, we have some crappy program called "Open Court". All morning hours are spent with language arts...phonics is stressed...teachers are told how to lay out their classrooms so that all students are facing forward...

Amazing.

When I was in student teaching, I was told I would have more freedom in public school. Really?

At least in private school, I have some input as a professional. All private schools are different, which gives parents true choices...public? you get what you get when you get it - get it?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#100 of 110 Old 06-09-2004, 04:39 PM

reading this post has me concerned about my daughter we will be moving to Houston TX next month and she will be going to a new school she has learning problems like I do and will need some extra help. but what Iam reading up sets me. I just dont know what Iam going to do know I would love to homeschool her but since I have some learning problems myself I dont see how I can do that. I dont think priviate schools have anything for learning problems.

Christina

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#101 of 110 Old 06-09-2004, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy_28
I dont think priviate schools have anything for learning problems.

All the private schools here do except the really small ones. Certainly check them out.

Marilyn

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#102 of 110 Old 06-09-2004, 05:16 PM

Thanks I will when I get down to Texas.

Christina

#103 of 110 Old 06-09-2004, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Yes this is legal, thank your President Mr. Bush and his supporting wife, a librarian, for No Child Left Behind. I think I am going to be sick.
This started in PA. way LONG before BUSH took office.
The Dem's in this state started "teaching to the test" about 10+ yrs ago.
THe kids are only taught what will make the teachers look ggod on state results.
In AZ, where I lived most of my life, the Teachers were lower paid but much better Teachers.

AZ teachers must take refresher courses & It's a great idea unlike here in PA where most of the teachers got in under different times & have not had to undate there cert forever.
Most of the PA teachers I know hate this system & would like to have to re-Cert b/c they see many teachers making $65+K/ yr for doing squat.

Also, they have everyone take chorus as a real credit class & if the school has a pool - they make the kids take 9 wks of swimming every yr.
With the chorus, there is no other class you can sign up for - just study hall.
Instead of widening the curriculumm they put on these hokey 3 hr choral thing 2X / year.
It justifies the Artistic $$ they get from the state.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#104 of 110 Old 06-18-2004, 12:40 AM

Well, all i can is: I taught school in Texas before, during and after Bush was the governor. Public education was noticeably worse - maybe some nice stats, but definitely worse in the classroom. He pushed testing so much that that was all we did. I had kids who came to me who barely spoke English who had miraculously passed the state tests the year before! It was on education alone that I did not vote for him. My dh comes from a very long line of Republicans, many whom have met both W and his dad. He voted for him and totally regrets it. It's only going to get worse, I'm afraid.

Squishy 28 - This is what I know about Houston. Years ago when I was looking into teaching there, I discovered that you didn't need to have a teaching certificate at all to teach there. Since then, I have learned that now you don't even need a DEGREE to teach there, forget about the certificate. I don't know about you, but I'd STRONGLY think about homeschooling. If you've raised your child this far, you're teaching him/her already.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#105 of 110 Old 06-18-2004, 05:42 AM

wow Iam so upset I cant beleive they are allowed to teah with no degree and certifate. is the private schools like that too? actually Iam going to live outside of Houston in cypress I hope there school systems are better.

Christina

#106 of 110 Old 06-30-2004, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Also they are doing away with special ed and mainstreaming all special ed students into the classroom with NO AIDS unless the child has a feeding tube or oxygen. It doesnt matter if this kid is MR, EC, violent -- it doesnt matter. So a regular teacher is going to have special aid students, and the special aid teachers are going to be used as "resource" teachers that travel around to classroom to classroom. As a volunteer and as someone who volunteered with special olympics, I am very aware of how sad this will be for ALL students!

I am just so frustrated. I just hope I can handle homeschooling ----

Is this happening in all states?
#107 of 110 Old 06-30-2004, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsaratea
I, too, am a public school teacher. I teach high school English in Georgia. We have some of the highest-stakes testing here. Over the past year, here is what I witnessed:
Fall: Juniors take the Georgia High School Graduation Test (Writing). they give this one to them so early because it has such a high failure rate. My sophomores took the PSAT.
Spring:Juniors take the rest of the Graduation tests. They are tested in 4 subject areas. If they do not pass one of these standardized tests (which we the teachers cannot know what is on and cannot prepare the kids for) they do not graduate from high school no matter what their grades are.
Late Spring: Now, even though we all have finals for our classes, Georgia is introducing the End of Course Tests. Basically, its a final for the whole year long course. The kids get to tak 2 finals per class now!

I watched in horror as the Graduation test scores came in the WEEK BEFORE GRADUATION. I saw girls huddled in the bathroom crying who had glorious plans of walking down that aisle to get the diploma only to find out that they they didn't succeed well on a standardized test that the teachers don't even know the contents of.

If anyone knows of a good commune that I could come work on as an English/Humanities teacher.... I can't stand this anymore. Its only my first year of teaching too.......
I just wanted to say that I grew up in GA and my family is all there. My sister used to be a teacher but when they started mandating all this ridiculous testing crap, she became very fed up. Then, they went on to tell them that if a child fails a part of that test, the parents can go back and sue every teacher the child EVER had! ABSURD! She quit teaching that year and has moved on to be a SAHM and sell Mary Kay.
#108 of 110 Old 06-30-2004, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniewb
I just wanted to say that I grew up in GA and my family is all there. My sister used to be a teacher but when they started mandating all this ridiculous testing crap, she became very fed up. Then, they went on to tell them that if a child fails a part of that test, the parents can go back and sue every teacher the child EVER had! ABSURD! She quit teaching that year and has moved on to be a SAHM and sell Mary Kay.
Wow! Is there any source for this information? (Something "official," I mean?) I'm putting together a huge list of reasons why not to do ps that will convince my dh. He might go for that one.
#109 of 110 Old 06-30-2004, 05:09 PM

I don't know where to find the official information. I'll check with my sister.
#110 of 110 Old 06-30-2004, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniewb
Is this happening in all states?
No, every state has their own special ed laws on the books, own budget constrictions, etc. They deal with NCLB in different ways.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page