Stunned! Is this going on where you live? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My child goes to public school where they are heavily into the No Child Left Behind.
The more I learn and see this program in action the more I despise it.
First, my child has no recess -- there is no free time at all. All students are taught middle of the road. The ones that are slower lose, the ones who learn at a faster pace (like my daughter) are bored, and the ones in between, do okay. Art is only one semester and music another. They say that is all they need. I found out tonight that they are no longer going to run a regular library! I am furious!!! Evidently teachers will have to sign up for time slots and be responsible for everything because there will be no librarian.

Then I find out, that many good teachers are going to get fired because they do not think their certification is good enough. They want them to go back to school to take additional classes at the teachers expense. If they do not, then they get canned or forced into retirement.

Also they are doing away with special ed and mainstreaming all special ed students into the classroom with NO AIDS unless the child has a feeding tube or oxygen. It doesnt matter if this kid is MR, EC, violent -- it doesnt matter. So a regular teacher is going to have special aid students, and the special aid teachers are going to be used as "resource" teachers that travel around to classroom to classroom. As a volunteer and as someone who volunteered with special olympics, I am very aware of how sad this will be for ALL students!

I am just so frustrated. I just hope I can handle homeschooling ----
#2 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 09:46 PM

Is this LEGAL? I feel so bad for you and all the others who will suffer b/c of this!! Is terrible!!!!
#3 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I am just so frustrated. I just hope I can handle homeschooling ----
Onthefence...I will be "new" to homeschooling next year. We can support each other!!!

Sorry to hear about the situation where you are, I'll have to look into it in my area!

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#4 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 PM

Sped students mainstreamed without aids? I'd sure as hell like to see them deal with some of my previous autistic students--like the one who threw chairs, punches and his private parts around and often had to be redirected by his aids: 250 lbs, 6' tall, and completely out-of-control. These wonderful (yes, I said wonderful) children are supposed to receive the most appropriate education in the least restrictive environment--that is to say, it is going against sp. ed. laws to put them mainstream because that environment is not suited to their needs. Not only that, they are a hazard to the other students.

Jesse
#5 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 10:35 PM

The NCLB thing is insane.

We are lucky in that our school is in fairly good shape financially. Our kids still get recess and have a library.

The cuts in the library and art/music you are seeing are likely because the school now has to spend ridiculous amounts of money on testing and other NCLB requirements. I am sure it is nothing the school wants to do.

My dh is a public school teacher. His favorite euphamism is "higher standards." What that really means is lower standards for the top and middle of the curve. It's only "higher standards" for the lowest achieving students. In our state, the regents exam has been dumbed down considerably from what it was pre-NCLB. Passing has gone from a 65 to a 55. Higher standards, my left buttock.

The tests are everything. They are how the teacher is evaluated and how the school is evaluated. DH has pretty much had to cut everything interesting out of his curriculum to focus on the test. It is sick.

For the kids who are not at all academically oriented, or who have disabilities, it is incredibly frustrating. He sees it all the time. There are kids who would have done OK in the non-regents level courses that used to be taught, who are now checking out of school emotionally in September, because there is no way they will be able to pass the exam.

The schools don't have a choice about having these so-called "highly qualified teachers." They have to do it.
#6 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 10:42 PM

My dh is also a ps teacher. He HATES NCLB.

HATES. Actually I don't know if that's a strong enough word.

He says it is "No child left behind, but all children left unsafe, uneducated, and unhealthy"

Makes me want to vomit when I hear the kindy teachers at his school who don't have recess because they're "too busy learning". WHAT? A 5yo is learning SO much they can't play?? ALL DAY LONG???
#7 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 10:43 PM

Quote:
standards for the top and middle of the curve. It's only "higher standards" for the lowest achieving students. In our state, the regents exam has been dumbed down considerably from what it was pre-NCLB. Passing has gone from a 65 to a 55. Higher standards, my left buttock.

The tests are everything. They are how the teacher is evaluated and how the school is evaluated. DH has pretty much had to cut everything interesting out of his curriculum to focus on the test. It is sick.
OH YES!!!

They lowered the pass rate from 70% to 52%..... what is THAT? So now a 52% is good enough? Let's just LOWER all of our standards so we can all succeed??? Gag.
#8 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 10:59 PM

I have heard about this becuase my step-mom is in Alabama. Are any other states doing it? There will be an education crisis there for sure, you just wait!
#9 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Is this LEGAL? I feel so bad for you and all the others who will suffer b/c of this!! Is terrible!!!!
Yes this is legal, thank your President Mr. Bush and his supporting wife, a librarian, for No Child Left Behind. I think I am going to be sick.
#10 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomwith4
Onthefence...I will be "new" to homeschooling next year. We can support each other!!!

Sorry to hear about the situation where you are, I'll have to look into it in my area!

Good, I need support! My daughter is 7.
#11 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Sped students mainstreamed without aids? I'd sure as hell like to see them deal with some of my previous autistic students--like the one who threw chairs, punches and his private parts around and often had to be redirected by his aids: 250 lbs, 6' tall, and completely out-of-control. These wonderful (yes, I said wonderful) children are supposed to receive the most appropriate education in the least restrictive environment--that is to say, it is going against sp. ed. laws to put them mainstream because that environment is not suited to their needs. Not only that, they are a hazard to the other students.

Jesse
The teachers are supposed to follow each childs IEP. Even kids like this will be mainstreamed into the classroom under these new rules. My son is bipolar, a wonderful kid! Right now he is a mainstream preschool and they work with me and his aggression. He is on medication -- in a few years he will be in PS (maybe?) andhe may be fine going into a mainstream classroom. He is brilliant. Course work is not a problem, it will be behavioral. However if he was violent I wouldnt want him in a mainstream classroom, a regular teacher wouldnt be able to handle it!
#12 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicey Momma
I have heard about this becuase my step-mom is in Alabama. Are any other states doing it? There will be an education crisis there for sure, you just wait!
I LIVE IN ALABAMA!!!!!!!

Its happening here, its happening in GA, its happening in MS. God help us.
#13 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:14 PM

My aunt works for the Dept of Ed in Washington. She's been career-government for a LONG time and has seen it all. She's is a staunch Republican but even she talks about the utter bone-headedness of this program (and the Secretary who oversees it). They ALL hate it, but it looked so good on paper and it had such a catchy title...well, who wants to be the Representative that didn't vote for a program entitled "No Child Left Behind."

It is awesome in its idiocy. I won't even speak of the regime that started this. :

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#14 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:14 PM

I'm not sure how new all this is. When I was in school we had 1 semester music and 1 art. Passing was 60. I was shocked because I had come from a private school where this was not the case. This was more than a decade ago. I honestly don't care for the public education system anyhow, but just wanted you to know this was going on long before NCLB. Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#15 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 PM

Because of what I see my dd's school doing as a result of No Child Left Behind I decided to finally homeschool her next year. Every time I am unhappy with how much they push the kids or take away from the kids I always got from someone that it is a result of the No Child Left Behind action. Our district had a big assembly program for parents about it last eyar, it was so ridiculous.
#16 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a public school teacher, I can't even begin to express my level of concern about this law. There is nothing -- not one thing -- that I have found to be redeeming about it. In fact, I can't even get started talking about my hatred for it because I get too upset.
#17 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:24 PM

many of those things were in place when I was in elementry school. No library, signing up for time slots, no recess, half art half music (actually it was less than that because PE was in the mix. I htink we got one day of art and one day of music if we had both. etc. . . but the whole special ed thing is awful. those poor kids. all of them. those poor teachers.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#18 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
many of those things were in place when I was in elementry school. No library, signing up for time slots, no recess, half art half music (actually it was less than that because PE was in the mix. I htink we got one day of art and one day of music if we had both. etc. . . but the whole special ed thing is awful. those poor kids. all of them. those poor teachers.
I went to private school for the majority of my education, my husband went to public.

My husband who is 34, had art, music, home ec, shop -- they had business math and even a business writing course for an elective. I went to PS highschool one year and it was like this too. My brother went to PS elementary so I could go to private middle school. He had recess, art and music. I remember him learning the recorder. My daughter doesnt even know what that is. She thinks music class is watching a tv show about music.

I want to cry.
#19 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:46 PM

That is terrible. I had no idea what this program was doing to schools- although I suspected it wasn't anything good (Bush hasn't come up with a lot of good ideas).

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#20 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:50 PM

we HATE NCLB too. The State Ed dept is pushing it down our throats so badly there is virtually nothing but the 3 R's until you get to high school here. They are obsessed with state standards, teaching to the test (AIMS in AZ plus the Standford tests). They get virtually no art, music, drame, science, world studies or anything - just a bit of geography and AZ history. We are also VERY remote and a poor district in the rural ghetto and they probably never had things like an art teacher, they are loosing the one music teacher they have k-12 (pretty much stayed at the high school anyway) this year and not replacing her and they are just strapped for everything. It is really sad. We will be here 1 more year and then moving to KY or TN where our kids will go to private school (thank goodness my folks will and can pay for it). My mom sent me an interesting article from the Nashville Tennessean paper called "Rich School, Poor School" about the disparity of quality of education among public schools in TN and I know it is very similar in other states as well. Our district is simply DIRT poor and we don't have the same quality of education as bigger cities. So I think a lot of this depends on where you live.

http://tennessean.com/education/arch...nt_ID=51062761
#21 of 110 Old 05-11-2004, 11:55 PM

This is what happens when you have the Federal Goveernment meddling in local affairs. What the he** does some bureaucrat in Washington, D.C. know about the needs of your child? What the he** do they really care about your child?

I have been a teacher for a very long time and believe me I have seen it all ...long enough to see the old crap we got rid of years ago come back, repackaged and as "new and improved", which of course it is not.

Homeschool.

Homeschool, and be sure the government, both state and federal, stay out of your home and your homeschool and your family.
#22 of 110 Old 05-12-2004, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

That is what we are planning. Moving on to homeschooling. My husband was once a PS teacher. He is so glad he has a new career.
#23 of 110 Old 05-12-2004, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam
Homeschool.

Homeschool, and be sure the government, both state and federal, stay out of your home and your homeschool and your family.
Yep, yep, and yep!

Don't worry about not doing a 'good enough' job--how could it be any worse than the mess that public schools are in.

We thought we had an education crisis in this country 10-15 yrs. ago?! Holy crap--just wait!
#24 of 110 Old 05-12-2004, 12:01 AM

agreeing with Josie (and waving..hi josie, its me Barb)

Quote:
My child goes to public school where they are heavily into the No Child Left Behind.
The more I learn and see this program in action the more I despise it.
yes. When discussing how non English speaking students were being mainstreamed into my 8th graders classes and that the class was slowing down to teach to them, I was advised to "read the NCLB act" since surely my concerns were because I"m racist against the non English speaking students...and probably against special ed students too (?!)
Nope...against the act because its bad for the children. All of the children. Those who have special needs and those who do not and need to have a decent public school education.

Unfortunately I will not have the opportunity to homeschool my kids. We will need my income back after almost 8 years of me being home raising our children. I've been home 4 years this summer and at least another 4years till ds is old enough for preschool. If we can afford to continue of course we will - but i'm betting my kids will all go to free charter schools. I'd pull dd out of public school now but she's starting high school and is adament that she go - she's involved with the drama club, band, choir and has friends.
maybe i'll get lucky with the little ones and be able to homeschool
#25 of 110 Old 05-12-2004, 12:30 AM

I am also a teacher and I think NCLBA is the worst thing to happen to public education ever. It is super counter productive. I'm teaching at a private school but my dd goes to a public one. Her school is a special school that parents must choose for their children so of course has high parent involvement, has no esl kids, and gets high test scores.

Did you know that they are going to test head start kids this year? Did these people even read any education psyc before they wrote that piece of trash?

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#26 of 110 Old 05-12-2004, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess
I am also a teacher and I think NCLBA is the worst thing to happen to public education ever. It is super counter productive. I'm teaching at a private school but my dd goes to a public one. Her school is a special school that parents must choose for their children so of course has high parent involvement, has no esl kids, and gets high test scores.

Did you know that they are going to test head start kids this year? Did these people even read any education psyc before they wrote that piece of trash?

That is so messed up!
#27 of 110 Old 05-12-2004, 12:45 AM

I live in a fairly weathy area, the schools here are traditionally very good. People move to my city *because* of the schools. Even here, I talk to moms with school-age kids that are concerned with the changes that are occuring. All day kindergarden, so that kids will be able to read by the time they get to first grade. They want to get the kids "ahead" so that the children will test well. Not much time for creative pursuits, kids are taught to the test.

Reason #52 we'll be homeschooling.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#28 of 110 Old 05-12-2004, 01:14 AM

I'm a teacher, as well. I just wanted to clarify a few things because many people who posted here don't understand what NCLB is. No Child Left Behind is not a program - it's the name our "friend " George W. came up with for his Education law, H.R.1 of 2002.

It is a LAW that applies to any and all education programs that accept federal money. This means that if a Catholic school has Title I funding (for poor children), it must also follow the rules of the law. Obviously, ALL public schools must follow it. Many states are looking to opt out of parts of the law that aren't funded (one of the main problems of this bill) or out of it altogether, which means that they won't get federal funding for education.

Do some research on this bill, if you don't know about it. It affects all of us, whether we have children or not because of it's impact on education. While many of you have complained about things being "dumbed down", those of us in special education know that children with disabilities are being held to the same standards as those without, which is impossible for many children, and makes teaching a nightmare. For example, a child with severe Mental Retardation is expected to take the same yearly tests as a child with a 90 average. Furthermore, children with disabilities, whose educational goals and programs are determined by their individualized education plans (IEPs) are no longer allowed to get a HS Diploma even if they have fulfilled all their goals because they haven't met the standards of kids without disabilities. Parents and students are very upset about this.

While this bill does have some good provisions (among the MANY bad ones), there is almost no funding for any of the provisions, so its forcing schools to implement things they don't have money for. It's H*ll!!!

I could go on and on but I just wanted to clear it up and tell people to get informed and get involved.

Early intervention specialist and parent consultant since 2002.
#29 of 110 Old 05-12-2004, 01:25 AM

I taught until 2000, so I have not been directly affected yet as a teacher. My friend is teaching and was just beside herself over what this is doing to the school she is in. She can't wait to leave teaching now. I am afraid to go back.

I have considered homeschooling in the past, then decided against it. I don't think I will be able to deal with a Kindergarten that is not allowed to have recess. May have to rethink......my son would start Kindergarten in a year or two......

I taught Special Ed., and the schools didn't have a clue what to do with my kids when they were out of my classroom unless me or an aide were out there with them. And the regular ed teachers were already so overloaded with overloaded classrooms, standards, and standardized test b.s., they didn't have time to take on one more thing. I am scared for kids with special needs. I had to fight for their services before all this mess.

I think (and I thought this before NCLB) that there is going to be a HUGE bottoming out of our education system in the next ten years. We think schools are in crisis now........

L.
#30 of 110 Old 05-12-2004, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz
All day kindergarden, so that kids will be able to read by the time they get to first grade.
That is rubbish. We decided to teach our kids to read the old fashioned way. 10 minutes each day, of phonics. The oldest one was reading fluently in six weeks. The younger had dyslexia, so it took him longer.

We home schooled from start to finish.
Quote:
They want to get the kids "ahead" so that the children will test well. Not much time for creative pursuits, kids are taught to the test.
If any of you are going to send your kids to school, the best thing you can do beforehand is to teach them to read properly. But IMO, state schooling is a waste of time.

JMO

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page