WWYD - Incident at dd's school - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my Gosh!!! Your poor baby. That woman should not be around children, period.

I'm glad you're pulling her out of the school right away. At this point I can't see finishing the year being beneficial. How have you/will you explain it to her? I would emphasize how much you love and value her, and that it is important for her to be somewhere that the teachers treat children nicely and help them if they are feeling sick. That way, it's not like a punishment for your little girl, it's a valuable lesson in how she deserves to be treated well and should be able to walk away from any situation where that doesn't happen.

Good luck! Also contact licensing authorities. And I agree with the previous poster who suggested threatening media attention, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WHAT??? That is incredible! What did your daughter say about that? She must feel just awful - poor dear! I'm so sorry you have to go through this!
#33 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 02:27 PM

OH MY GOSH! I cannot believe that her teacher told the class to not have anything to do with your DD. That is just unbelievable! I don't know if I would take Lexie back to that school for the rest of the year.

Please keep us posted on what happens. I am just

Hugs to you and your DD!
#34 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 03:41 PM

I am so sorry they betrayed your trust. Do what you feel you need to do to make that never happen to another child. Unreal.

Good luck and let us know what happens,

Doreen
#35 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 03:57 PM

Your poor little girl. I do think she'll know you're protecting her if you don't send her back. Tell her you will never let anyone treat her that way and it's wrong so she doesn't have to go there anymore. I wouldn't be satisfied until that teacher was fired and not allowed to teach again w/o some counseling & more child development classes. to your dd.
#36 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 04:54 PM

I just read through all of the posts, and after the first page was in the "talk to the administration but not the lawyer just yet" camp.

Then I read the OP's follow up and was tempted to call my OWN lawyer, I was so angry!

Supakitty, I am so sorry for what you and your family were put through. There's no excuse for it. Major s to all of you. I hope this gets resolved for you quickly!

Best to all,

JA & S
#37 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 05:11 PM

that is unbelievable & awful. do NOT send lexie back there, ever! i am wondering what else this teacher has done, what other students she has harassed & abused.

there is NO WAY a 4 year old should be responsible for unclogging a toilet, even if she had clogged it intentionally just for fun, to make her put her hands in the filthy water (yellow gloves or not!) & dig out the toilet paper is WRONG!

& then the teacher was reprimanded & to PAY YOUR LITTLE GIRL BACK, she tells the whole class to ostracize her?? what is she teaching these kids?

i am really sorry that you are going through this. i am so sorry that lexie had to be humiliated in that way... i am as mad as if it happened to my son or nephew, & i don't even know you... it is just wrong.

i hope that teacher is swiftly fired.
#38 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 05:50 PM

s to your dd. That teacher better lose her job! That is abusive and disgusting and just plain mean! :
#39 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 07:30 PM

This is so sad for your daughter. Besides everything you are doing, I hope Lexie's friends parents have big mouths and let other parents know what is going on. I would be furious that the school has her for a teacher. The cleaning the toilet was a bad call, but what she told the students makes me think that other "stuff" -- even smaller stuff -- has probably happened and the school should have been on her before this.
#40 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 10:50 PM

You bring up a good point Sara. I think all the parents should be alerted.
#41 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 11:28 PM

Wow, take her home, never take her back and PLEASE tell all the other parents! I would want to know, because you don't know what has happened to their poor children or might in the future. You should be so relieved your DD was confident enough in you to tell you (so many kids would feel it was there fault and never mention the "bad" thing they did).

to you both

#42 of 51 Old 05-20-2004, 11:42 PM

i agree with the other posters...this was so wrong. Did you speak with the teacher? supervisor etc?

update?
#43 of 51 Old 05-21-2004, 03:38 PM

or at least file a formal complaint with whatever authority you can -- are they affiliated/accredited with the American Montessori Society? Send a letter to them. Also send a letter to the local gov't agency for a formal complaint (school board? not sure of the correct agency). Make sure you do everything IN WRITING.

I think this teacher is really crappy and probably stupid. I think the ostracism might have been a misguided attempt to prevent the other kids from getting sick (e.g., no touching so they don't share germs kinda thing). But still, she shouldn't be teaching if that's the kind of judgment she possesses! What a mean thing to do to a little one!
#44 of 51 Old 05-21-2004, 04:51 PM

I agree that if this is what it sounds like, then you should definitely pursue some actions with the school. But, before you do that, I'm a little concerned that this is based soley on the word of a 7 year old. Not that I would think a child would lie, but what if they just misunderstood what was said? Before you do anything I think you need to follow-up with the school and get their side of the story. If nothing else, so demonstrate to everyone that you shouldn't jump to conclusions about anyone or any situation.

Now, if this plays out, then I would definitely move forward with alternate plans for your child and seeking some sort of formal resolution from the school. Though I'm not sure that a lawsuit is the right answer or would actually go anywhere.
#45 of 51 Old 05-22-2004, 04:33 AM

Boy Montessori is getting a bad name in my book! I had some bad experiences too but don't want to butt in on your post. First, I would follow Evanandanna's mom's advice and go to the school immediately and ask them what happened. Then, after your daughter's story is confirmed:
1. Verbally let that teacher have it. It isn't appropriate for them to make a child clean toilets, they are paid to care for your child and keep their own toilets clean. OStracizing a child is a form of abuse if it is done by a teacher. Report that person to the board that holds her credentials.
2. Notify the director and anyone else affiliated with the school like the pastor if it is church sponsored in writing
3. NOtify the parent teacher org. and all parents
4. Notify the Am. Mont. Society
5. NOtify the Dept of Health and Human Services (that is who licenses the preschools in our state and handles complaints)
6. Tell your daughter that the teacher was really wrong. Praise her for telling you and assure her she didn't do anything wrong
Please keep us updated.
#46 of 51 Old 05-23-2004, 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=supakitty]The teacher admitted that she did make Lexie put on the gloves and pick the toilet paper out of the toilet and she quickly apologized for her actionsOkay, so, she apologized and that seemed to be the end of things.

Here's what happened today... Lexie's very close friend and classmate (age 7) told his mom that while Lexie was in the bathroom the teacher, Melissa, instructed all the children in the class not to look at Lexie, not to touch Lexie and not to be her friend. He told this to his mom twice in the car and then told his father the same story when he got home. >>>>>

Sounds like this *teacher* was getting back at your daughter for getting her in trouble.I would tell EVERYONE what this woman does to kids in her care.It may not be a big deal to many,but I think it can have a great impact on the target child as well as the other children in the class. Those other children are essentially learning that everyone will be mean to you if you tell on someone.

I am very sad for your dd,and glad to read she won't be returning. It always mad me so sad when my own dd would tell of having a mean teacher that day at preschool. She no longer goes as well.
Best wishes to you both.And I hope you will let other parents know.I would want to know what is going on.
Sara
#47 of 51 Old 05-23-2004, 11:48 AM

This story just about broke my heart. Of course you are pulling your daughter out of this situation but please take further steps to protect the other children that are still under her care.
#48 of 51 Old 05-23-2004, 06:11 PM

Do you have an address list of all of the parents in the school? I'd craft a letter to send to all of the others.

Jesse
#49 of 51 Old 05-23-2004, 06:42 PM

Check with a lawyer before you do anything!!!

I'd hate to see you compromise your case accidentally!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#50 of 51 Old 08-27-2004, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is totally outrageous, totallly unacceptable. They cannot hide under Maria Montessori here. The teacher didn't want to deal with the problem, so she shamed your daughter and forced her to deal with it. I would pull her out of that school, because a teacher who does something like that doesn't respect kids and doesn't have good judgement.
#51 of 51 Old 08-31-2004, 08:04 PM

Oh how awful
I am so sorry that your family has to go through this.
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page