How much $ is your child's preschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 06-13-2004, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are checking into preschools for dd in the fall, and I'm just curious how much people pay.

We are considering two mornings/week.

Also note what type of preschool it is (Montessori, church affiliated, Waldorf, etc.).
#2 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 12:27 AM

I paid 125 a month for 2.5 hours each day,5 days a week.As for type -no specific.Some academics and some play time .
#3 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 12:33 AM

I have been researching the same thing here and have been rather alarmed at how expensive everything is! I was mainly looking into Montessori and Waldorf preschools. What I have found is that the Montessori schools have a lot more rules about attendance-- all the schools I checked out required your child attend a MINIMUM of 4 half days (8-1) a week, and they all preferred 5 days a week. Of course, that translates to big bucks! The average prices with the Montessori schools I found were around $450 a month for half days and around $600 a month for full days. Yikes!

Then I started exploring Waldorf school. In my city there is one amazing looking Waldorf school, but it is spendy! After 1st grade they have scholarships, but until then it's definitely out of our reach. But the Waldorf school referred me to another Waldorf based preschool that I believe I will send my DD to. It runs $300 a month for 2 full days a week, from 8-4. It's long days, but they feed the kids good meals, breakfast and lunch, and I was really impressed with the teacher and the environment.

It's crazy how much preschool costs! Good luck with your search!
#4 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 12:56 AM

My dd will be starting a Montessori preschool this fall. It's M-Th, 8:30am-12:30pm and it's $250/month. It looks to be a really great school so I think it's worth a try.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#5 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I looked into a few preschools in our area and they're spendy. One is a French-immersion school (that continues through high school); they have only a full-time option (M-F, 8-3, except Wed 8-12) and it is about $9,000 a year. Waldorf is even more here for comparable hours per week, closer to $10,000. For a couple days a week, Waldorf is around $3,500 a year. A two-day Montessori school was about $3,000. This is Chicago, so I think prices tend to be higher in larger cities.
#6 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 01:01 AM

Savannah smiles,

Wow! I would be so happy to find a Montessori school that is so reasonable! Was that the going rate for Montessori schools in your area, or did you find a deal? I am attracted to a lot of the Montessori philosophy, but here in Colorado the prices just seem out of our reach! Are you in an urban area too? There are 2 public Montessori elementary schools in our public school system, but it can be really challenging to get your kids in a slot. I'm planning to give it a shot when it's time to apply though!
#7 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 02:27 AM

Ninamom,
I live in Sandpoint, Idaho which is a stone's throw from Canada and near *nothing* which is why it's so affordable. We moved here from Connecticut where there was no way I ever could have afforded to send her, well, anywhere without working full-time. That's part of the reason I'm so eager to get her into the school because when we move again (in a year or so) I may not be able to afford to send her. The Waldorf school here is affordable too but I'd rather do Montessori.
Sorry they're so expensive out your way.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#8 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 10:28 AM

I send my DS to preschool 2 mornings a week. The cost is 150. a month. It is a playschool with some structure.
#9 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 11:02 AM

My ds will be starting preschool in the fall, 2 half days per week and its $70 per month. We live in a low cost of living area, and all of the preschools in the area cost the same (there are only 4 though).

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#10 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 11:11 AM

My dd goes to a preschool that is based at a private elementary school. We pay about $350/month for 3 days/week. My older dd went to a Seven Oaks Academy. For 3 mornings/week, if remember correctly, it was close to $400/month. This was a year and a half ago.
#11 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 12:09 PM

My son went to a Montessori school for two years. The first year & a half he went half days (five days a week) and we paid 225/month for 12 months (great option!) He started full days in November of last year and our payments switched to 300/month.

I feel it was totally worth it. He has learned SO much. The school shut down the end of this year and he will be going to a traditional school next year, we'll see how that goes!

aisling
#12 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 04:22 PM

the preschool/daycare my children currently attend is church affiliated and would run $40 for a 3 hour program twice weekly, snack included in tuition. To send them twice weekly for a half day (drop off at your leisure, beginningat 6:30 a.m., picking them up immediately following lunch that you have provided at 1:00) is $45. This is per child, of course. We used to send ds to a city run preschool program and that was either $70 or $75 monthly, three days weekly, three hours each time. We were also responsible for providing snack once monthly.
#13 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 05:43 PM

My child's preschool is montessori and will cost $161 a month, in addition to the $200 deposit we payed at registration. It will run 3 afternoons a week for 3 hours.
#14 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I looked at three different preschool options last year: a church program, Waldorf and Kindercare. I have a current price sheet from the church based program. The preschool rates: 2 half days - $218 a month, 2 full - $289, 3 half days - $290, 3 full days - $382, 5 half days - $376 and 5 full days - $489. I don't remember the prices for the Waldorf school, but they were lower. I think 2 half days was $185 a month. I also checked into Kindercare's preschool program and that was something like $75 a week with breakfast and lunch included for 3 half days.
#15 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Wow! I would be so happy to find a Montessori school that is so reasonable! Was that the going rate for Montessori schools in your area, or did you find a deal? I am attracted to a lot of the Montessori philosophy, but here in Colorado the prices just seem out of our reach! Are you in an urban area too? There are 2 public Montessori elementary schools in our public school system, but it can be really challenging to get your kids in a slot. I'm planning to give it a shot when it's time to apply though!
Where in CO do you live? My dd is now 9 but she went to the waldorf school in Ft Collins where we live. Many years ago it was $220 for 3 day prek. I teach at a Reggio Emilia inspired early childhood center in Boulder and it is REALLY pricey. My ds is onlty 3 months but my plan was to send him the waldrof school at age 3 just like my dd...now I'm afraid I will not be able to afford it.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#16 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 11:34 PM

Hey Bathrobe Goddess!

We just moved to the Denver area. Prices here are definitely higher than they were back in the Pacific Northwest, where we're from. There is a really cool looking Waldorf school in town, but it's really spendy! I think that there is finantial aid available after the 1st grade, and I'm planning on looking into that... but it's definitely a drag how much it costs!
#17 of 37 Old 06-15-2004, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like costs vary a lot!!

I am looking into a Waldorf based school (LifeWays) in Milwaukee, WI. It is $35/week for 2 1/2 hrs. two days. So about $140/mo. It sounds like that is pretty reasonable/competitive, esp. for a Waldorf program.

I like Montessori philosophies as well, but I agree w/ nimamom, they usually require at least four days/week.
#18 of 37 Old 06-15-2004, 10:14 PM

My son's Montessori school is 3 hours/day, 5 days a week, and is $175. But the owner is allowing ds a full tuition waiver if I come in two afternoons a week and help out. You might want to ask about options like that if you are able to spend some time volunteering.
#19 of 37 Old 06-18-2004, 01:27 PM

Ds goes to a preschool that is affiliated with the local community college. It's NAEYC accredited and costs $205 for 2 half days (9-12) a week. That's on the more inexpensive side for preschools around here. It's wonderful, we're very happy there, and I'd reccommend checking out your local community college. They are probably not all the same, but the 4 that I have come accross are all wonderful.
#20 of 37 Old 06-18-2004, 03:44 PM

My son goes to a fairly traditional preschool in So. CA -- not church or non-profit affiliated and not Montessor or Waldorf. For 3 full days the tuition is $540 a month. It would be $720 if he went 5 full days. I know they offer 1/2 programs (5 days/wk or 3 days/wk), but I don't know the cost because for me this is preschool and childcare while I work 3 days/wk.
#21 of 37 Old 06-18-2004, 04:49 PM

DS attended preschool at our church last year. Monthly tuition was $85 for 2 mornings/week, $115 for 3 mornings/week. 9-11:30am. I thought this was a WONDERFUL value.

However, we are homeschooling from this point forward...

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#22 of 37 Old 06-19-2004, 01:07 PM

Wow Amy, Kindercare is cheap where you live! I checked it out when I was looking for preschools and they wanted $350 a month for 2 half days The Montessori was worse. They wanted $450 a month for 3 half days and didn't offer 2 days. This was just preschool for my 3 year old for goodness sakes! I can't see any program being worth that much, personally, no matter how good it is. He was already learning so much at home, I know I could teach him just as well myself (and I continue to) but I wanted him there for the socialization. He is having a great experience, but no WAY would I pay $450 a month for preschool. Maybe for college!
#23 of 37 Old 06-21-2004, 02:13 PM

WOW! I paid $160/month for three 3 hour days...

This was a private preschool-the "teacher" had her masters in early education and was the most wonderful woman. She had a special extension put on her house and a large playground (swings, slides, sandboxes, large wooden pirate ship, monkey bars, see saw, etc etc etc). They did lots of cute crafts.
DS loved it

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#24 of 37 Old 06-21-2004, 03:54 PM

Asha will be going to a private playschool. It is in a church but not church affiliated. She'll go Thurs 2 hours in the morning. $44/month. It has doubled from what it was 2 years ago to match the prices of the other schools around. When she goes the year after it'll be about double for 2 hours on 2 afternoons, Nadia will be going that same year in the morning for 2 hours.

it is based on Learning Through Play.
#25 of 37 Old 06-22-2004, 02:13 PM

Kaya will be going to Montessori in the fall 8:30am-12:30pm Monday thru Friday....

Tuition: $655/month
#26 of 37 Old 09-01-2004, 04:35 PM

ds will be going 5 full days of preschool (8:30-3 & nap time is from 1:30-3---I am so happy he still will get his afternoon nap ) cost is $85 per week. Its a preschool age 3 to grade 2, it's also a private catholic school. I have to option of bringing him in as early as 7 and be picked up as late as 6pm at NO extra charge. This was the best option for me seeing as I have a class this fall and I will also be doing my MA externship, so the baby-sitter would get rather expensive!
#27 of 37 Old 09-02-2004, 12:31 PM

ds #1 goes to preschool twice a week for 3 hours. We pay $120 a month. He goes to a little church that is within walking distance from our house. It's based on learning through play.
#28 of 37 Old 09-02-2004, 04:04 PM

If we are back in the States next year, dd will be going to a French Immersion pre-school next fall at the International School. It's French all day, 5 days a week for a traditional school year. It'll be $7500/year or $800 a month.
#29 of 37 Old 09-03-2004, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We pay $160/mo for 2 days a week 4hrs a day. Its a private school that goes from preschool thru 5th. The kindergarten has 13 dc's.....and the other grades are limited to 16-20 average. In preschool she has music, spanish, sign language, art.....but in a very free, semi structured environment.
#30 of 37 Old 09-07-2004, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah smiles
My dd will be starting a Montessori preschool this fall. It's M-Th, 8:30am-12:30pm and it's $250/month. It looks to be a really great school so I think it's worth a try.

I have to ask the name/ location of that school, ours is 475 and increasing for three hours five days!!!!!!!!!!!!! we wonder if it's worth it for a super attatched toddler!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page