Talk to me about the DARE program - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2004, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our school system has stopped the DARE program because it was deemed ineffecticve. THey are looking for a new program that has been proven to work, and have not yet succeeded. My area has a very very high drug abuse rate. I beleive that 30 percent of highschoolers here have tried heroin, and marajauna and alcohol are very common in all age groups.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2004, 04:50 PM

Dare here was 5th or 6th grade (depending) and both my older kids went through it. Their health book was worse for misinformation. DS1 kept calling DH an alcoholic for having a beer with dinner. Now DH and I BOTH had alcoholic parents and there is no compairison! DS1 also said he could drink more than his sister by weight and then went into the alcohol content of different things. This is MONTHS after the class. DS1 says stupid things all the time, but this made me really mad.
DH swore by the DARE program till he expereinced it here.

As for the sex ed part, it was 5th and 6th grade. 5th was our changing bodies, talked about body hair, odor, periods. 6th grade was more about changing bodies, but not about STDs or birth control. When I was a freshman, it was all about mechanics and STDs. I chose the class over writing 10 page reports on different sports.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:19 PM

My DARE experiance of about 10 years ago:

Sat in a classroom, learned how drugs made you insane. People who picked up a cigarette, would pick up alcohol, then Marijuana, and move onto crack cocaine. It was your duty to report the illegal ones to authorities because the police need to help them. We were told stories of how marijuana growers were paranoid at first, then grew insane, and how the growers planted fish hooks at eye level in areas that they were growing their plants at. Yeah, I *STILL* am leery when I'm walking in a forested area.

I graduated and won the DARE essay award. #1. I marched out thinking all people who did drugs were horrible, crazy people who needed my 11 year old HELP.

Then, I met some productive, responsible, *GASP* SMART druggies, who don't believe neccesarily that something man made is better for certain conditions then a god given herb.
Add that to the fact that I met MANY alcoholics who couldn't say the same thing, and as they swallowed down their 40's of Old E (all they could afford) spoke of what losers druggies were. Hmmm..A year after my DARE training, you could say I was confused.

I've met both extremes in this situation, and I am not advocating that abuse of anything is good, or that the education of children is BAD.

I believe that DARE is a huge waste of money, resources, and our time.

I participate in the National Organization to reform marijuana laws and National asst. to legalize medical marijuana. I have to say, DARE helped me to get a head start on seeing what I think of as a huge hypocrisy.

This is what I learned from DARE.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:12 PM

*slightly* T

Career Day in dd's kindergarten (actually multi-grade classroom , so K, 1, & 2 class):

Mr. Policeman is talking about safety (i.e. bike helmets, skating elbow/knee pads, stranger danger, crossing streets, etc.)

Topic turns to Q & A (for little ones, we ALL know this means everybody gets a turn to say "Um, one time....")

A first grader proceeded to tell his story "Um, one time..." reguarding a fender bender his dad had and how he got to meet a policeman who talked to his dad about drinking and driving.

This prompts another safety speach about drinking and driving from the policeman. At which end he said "So if you see your mom or dad starting to drive when they drink, remind them that it's NOT SAFE".

My sweet little baby raised her hand and says matter-of-factly, "My mom drinks and drives ALL THE TIME!"

To which I loudly (and quickly) said to her, "He's not talking about Pepsi, Honey!"

She slid her hand down and said "Nayber mind"..... (15 minutes of fame...miss-spent!)
Old 08-12-2004, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
:LOL

Old 08-13-2004, 09:13 AM

LOL

Yep, I loved working at the kindegarten class this last winter. Some of the stories that came out of those kids mouths, and yes- they all began with "Um..This one time..."

LOL
Old 08-13-2004, 09:49 AM

My experience in the DARE program (I was in the 6th grade) was very similar to KatienDwayne's. I came out of it convinced I'd never ever ever use drugs. That people who use drugs are very bad, horrible, awful spawn of the devil.

I smoked a little pot in high school, tried a few other things in college, and every single person I have kept in touch with from the 6th grade (okay, so there are only about four of them, so take this with a grain of salt) tried or used way more drugs than I ever did. And not one of them is a bad person.

They've since stopped the DARE program in the district where I went to school because it wasn't working.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:43 AM

I remember that the officers used to tell us to watch out for the drug dealers, b/c they loved to prey on children. They would supposedly come to the playground and try to give us free drugs to get us hooked, so we'd want to buy more from them! :LOL :LOL
That had me a bit scared as a youngster. But now I just think it's hilarious. As someone who's been friends with so many 'drug' users, I'd have to just laugh if I heard of any drug dealer who thought an elementary playground would be a good spot to find customers!!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 08-13-2004, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
They would supposedly come to the playground and try to give us free drugs to get us hooked, so we'd want to buy more from them!
There are a lot of people who wish this was true! :LOL

User Tag List