Son with reading problems....schooling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-17-2004, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds will be 12 this fall. We have always homeschooled but it has not gone well. We had him tested for learning disabilities and the preliminary results show he does have some problem. Our town does have some resources for this, but I did tell them already that even though he'd be of age to enter 6th grade this fall, I don't think he'll be able to handle it at least not at first.

I was reading here a minute ago about the No Child Left Behind thing. I am wondering now if I should just still homeschool him but have him go out for tutoring or something. Anybody dealing with something similar?

I do have to dd's who homeschool, and two other dd's who go to a private school.
#2 of 6 Old 07-18-2004, 11:11 AM

without pulling him out of home schooling. My kids go to a private school and the public schools provide help to those with learning disabilities. I would check out what the public schools have to offer.
#3 of 6 Old 07-20-2004, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding,
at 1st i was really thinking going out to school might be better for him. But now I've started to remember the reasons why we hs'd in the first place, and those reasons are still valid.

Thanks, I will check into this further.
#4 of 6 Old 07-21-2004, 10:37 PM

I know that Public schools have great recources for and LD, i just couldn't come to terms with it for my own DS (sending him to PS). They are , in some states(mine) obligated to offer certian services . We are going through the proccess right now so i will keep you posted on the outcomes.

Nothing against PS its just that i don't feel that the large environment is that good for Ds who is coming from a gentle Waldorf school (sorry for going OT)

I'll keep you posted though, they cannot test him until Sept.
#5 of 6 Old 07-21-2004, 11:57 PM

Our state has a program called SNAP. My daughter does this for her speach.

She goes in the evening. We had the option of taking her up to the school and doing it during the day. If this was my only option I would have done it.

http://www.ssd.k12.mo.us/Sp_edu/private_parochial/
#6 of 6 Old 07-24-2004, 09:44 PM

Rebecca-

You need to check your state laws regarding special education. If he qualifies it does not matter where he is educated or by whom. Your public school system may still be responsible for providing him with services. PT, OT Speech and SPED resource are all considered services.
I live and teach in CT, and my neice who attended Montessori and is now homeschooled went for resource and speech at her local public school. Call your state education department for the best information. Best of Luck!

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page