Summer reading, math, etc..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-18-2004, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a boy who just doesn't like to read and i think summer is a time when we just hang loose and do what we please. The reading list seems more directed towards girls (dh would LOVE to read ad do reports on "Captain UnderpantsLOL)

It has become such a challenge just to get DS to read things he doesn't want to read as far as i'm concerned we would be better off homeschooling as to meet his needs better. He loves to draw and he will read things of interest esp if i am there switching off reading paragraphs with him. I think reading is important and better if DS is reading something rather than resisting and not reading anything.

Does anyone else have an issue with summer reading and the resistant reader? or am i just unique?

Blessings , Kelly
#2 of 11 Old 07-18-2004, 09:35 PM

Are you saying he has to read *specific* things?

#3 of 11 Old 07-18-2004, 11:36 PM

My daughter will begin First Grade next year, so she only reads some of the beginner books. Still, she likes to do her own stuff (drawing specially - she wants to be a fashion designer ) and it is hard to convince her to do some refreshing of kindergarten material with her in a way she will feel it is fun and not a pain... I am not worried, just wonder how it will be next year when she will sit in a real school environment most of the day, with things to be done in a certain time frame and in a certain way.
So I know what you mean s
#4 of 11 Old 07-19-2004, 03:08 PM

We don't have required summer reading or math. All the state's public libraries do a summer reading program, but the student decides what to read. We participate in that, and I think it is great. I wouldn't want the school telling us what we had to read, since I think summer reading should be fun.

We do make our kids do math and science during the summer. We try to make in enjoyable, but some times we have to just require it, particularly the math.

I don't see it as a homeschooling v. public schooling thing for us. I think all parents should be involved in their children's education no matter what system they use. In general, we are quite happy with our ps, but we still teach and reinforce a great deal at home because we think it is part of our jobs as parents.
#5 of 11 Old 07-20-2004, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I guess the issue with me is that reading should be~ fun ~in the summer and DS should have the freedom to choose his material in the summer.
I fully believe that parents should be involved in their childs education regardless of HSing or PSing, we had intended to HS 4th grade up until recently mostly due to certian LDs and defiant behavoir that i felt unable to adequetely act as his teacher and it became clear (to me) that unschooling wouldn't work bc nothing would get accomplished.

Math practice is great and i want him to have that advantage, it is just the specific reading lists that have gotten me going
#6 of 11 Old 07-20-2004, 05:10 PM

No way would I have my boys read from a required list in the summertime. That time is ours. I took them to a couple of bookstores just a few weeks ago & let them pick out some fun stuff. One got a collection of Goosebumps & the other got more of the Series of Unfortunate Events.
#7 of 11 Old 07-20-2004, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
He loves to draw and he will read things of interest esp if i am there switching off reading paragraphs with him.
That sounds great!

It sounds like he likes to read, just not boring stuff! Do you know anyone who likes to read boring stuff? Reading paragraphs with him sounds like a great idea!

What kind of things does he like to draw? Maybe he would be interested in reading about those things, especially if he could draw as he was reading.

If he had to tell someone what his favorite book was, what would he say? Does he like comics? Magazines geared toward his age group and interests? Joke books? How-to-draw books?

What are some of his favorite movies or TV shows? Maybe he would be interested in books about them or the books these movies were based on. Just some ideas...

Is he young enough for bedtime stories? (I got bedtime stories well into middle school.) One thing I always liked was when my mom would let me read the story to her and my brother at bedtime. It would be something like the chronicles of Narnia, Watership Down or the LOTR series and sometimes it would be my turn to read a chapter.
#8 of 11 Old 07-21-2004, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, Greaseball, his fave is Captain Underpants, he is really into batheroom humor and comic books. He is in fact a great artist and does some rad comic strips.

I don' see his teacher liking book reports on C underpants LOLOL I may try it with him though(i've always been a rebel) to see her reaction . Seriously though, i wouldn't want him to stand out bc of his 'wierd' ma.

We were doing bedtime stories, but now there is no time bc of the required reading I do like the trading off of reading pages and it seems to be working in helping him get interested in the stories.

He doesn't complain much bc of the math practice bc i make it up and he is pretty good at basic equasions except the borrowing & carrying bc of a directional issue (maybe dyslexia...hate that term)

He is coming from a Waldorf school and this is totally different, W schools just are too expensive for us and becoming too exclusive.

Don't mean to go on but i really feel very strongly that summer is a time for winding down and being bored to allow what they learned all year to be assimilated (sp?) and since we are new i feel i should follow the rules to the letter.
#9 of 11 Old 07-26-2004, 01:05 PM

I feel as you do, Beloved1. At our house we don't do school work/practice in the summer at all. And I don't think that being new to the system should alter how you handle things- I think you should be guided by what's in the best interest of your individual child. Not all "rules" are appropriate for every child.
#10 of 11 Old 07-26-2004, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that Amnesiac, i really needed to hear that. I/we are very nervous going into a new situation and i suppose i want us to 'fit in' The truth is that in most traditional settings my inner self rarely' fits in'

If we were HSing, all of his book reports would be on Cpt Underpants(well most of them CU related stuff) and that would be fine, i doubt he would go to college still reading it....there are other ways to get 'cultured' and who knows how far he will go in his cartooning . I am one of the only moms i know that duels Yu-Gi-Oh with her child and i am pretty darn good. Some of the other moms (well most) roll their eyes when they hear the words that relate to what their child is int in (such as CU or Yugi)....oh i could go on (thanks for the boost)
#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2004, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd think a teacher would be glad to get a report on Cpn Underpants, as long as it was well-written! Kids write best when they can write about things that interest them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page