Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know anything about KinderCare?

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#2 of 5 Old 07-25-2004, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes, my DS has been going to KIndercare for 2 months now. He goes 3 half days. Hes 2.5 and in the twos class. He has a wonderful teacher with a bachelors in early childhood education and a 1-7 teacher-child ratio. He gets good snacks and a good lunch. They let me substitute anything with my own organic choices if I need to. He gets regular diaper changes, is well supervised and has a lot of fun. He doesnt talk much and is shy , so the teacher takes really good care of him. I'm very happy so far.
#3 of 5 Old 07-25-2004, 09:52 PM

We had a horrible experience at one near us. I visited 2 near us and one that was pretty far away and unfortunately got the best vibes from the one that was just too far (I was worried about driving for hours in bad weather). The one near us looked nice and the director and teacher seemed fine.

Well, after the first day (a half-day) the director said to me, "We can't provide your son one-on-one attention". She said this after the FIRST DAY a 4 month old was without his momma. Definitely a red flag and I considered quitting work (which I should have), but I teach and I couldn't leave my boss hanging with no one to start. I was really hoping the teacher would be better -- but she wasn't she said something the second week about how he always wanted to be near someone. SO? That's what I would expect. He was definitely loud compared to all of the other children, but eventhough he is more "passionate", the other children were uncommonly quiet. He kept getting reports about crying all day -- one even when I stopped by twice and he was playing. I worry a little still that they gave him a vibe, because of there attitude toward him.

After 3 weeks we found a great room at the Y where they .... expected him to need time to adjust, put him on the couch with him when they fed other kids, and just kept him around them all the time.

I still cry thinking about him there. It was only 3 days a week, but it was such a bad experience. (And I did quit my job in December. )

Icky -- but I think it varies from center to center. I felt very comfy with the one center. They seemed right on target.
#4 of 5 Old 07-26-2004, 02:36 AM

Well, Kindercare is a franchised operation, so each one will be run differently. My ds was at a Kindercare as an infant and received very good care, but our next door neighbor was the asst. director there at the time, and her dd is about 6 weeks younger than our ds, so she was there as well. It made a difference I'm sure. I suspect that most daycares are less than optimal in terms of one-on-one attention, although I'm sure there are some that are better than others. We had dd at a Tutortime as an infant and it was wonderful, but didn't meet our needs when she turned one year old...although it met ds' needs at the time (he was three). Daycare is always filled with guilt and longing in my opinion, especially when your children are very young--my ds is now 5 and dd is 3, and it's become easier simply because of their ages I believe. I hope you find something that works for all of you.
#5 of 5 Old 07-26-2004, 10:15 AM

My friend worked at one and peopel with DEGREES get only a quarter-25 cents-more an hour than those who come off the street with no experience. Then my friend worked in the infant room and was fired for calling out with the flu...thier comment "We come in when we are ill, so and so was here with the flu-so should you!" That was scary to me...sorry...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page