How did you prepare your child for preschool? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-26-2004, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What did you find worked best preparing your dc for their first school experience?
TIA,
Steph
#2 of 5 Old 07-26-2004, 08:55 PM

we visited the school a lot before the first day . and on the first day I planted my self on a chair and stayed there. really easy to do it your way, its you kid
#3 of 5 Old 07-27-2004, 01:43 AM

We read a lot of books about pre school. Also, the school that we chose had a transition program which was a mommy and me a few months before before the pre school class began. The school also has the parents stay there until the child is comfortable. The parent can leave the room for a few minutes at a time and is always accessible if the child needs mom or dad. After a few weeks of this, DS was ready for me to leave the school.

Good luck,

Lori
#4 of 5 Old 07-27-2004, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We visited, the teachers did a home visit to our house and brought her a little 'package' of books to enjoy. We stressed the fun and friends she would see there. It was such a warm and inviting program that there were no transition difficulties on the first day.

#5 of 5 Old 07-28-2004, 06:35 AM

If you can, visit some more at the school - maybe a picnic on the playground (now during the summer)?

Send the teacher a drawing your child did for him/her - maybe they will send a reply back? I know of a preschool teacher who had a tea party with a child who was reluctant to switch to a new school this year.

See if you can get a few phone numbers of classmates and have some playdates with those kids (one on one, at your house and then at theirs) so your child has some friends in class on the first day.

Let the child pick out a "first day of school" outfit, backpack, etc. Put the child's favorite teddy bear or what have you in the backpack. Just knowing it is there is often a big comfort.

Choose a school with a very warm, loving teacher. This was my top criteria when choosing a preschool.

And the biggest thing (IMO) that you can do is to have a positive attitude yourself. I personally loved school and just glow with excitement when I talk about it (mine or my kids') - they followed suit. On that first day, my husband left for work late so he could be there that morning to help and be there on that big day. I took tons of photos - of the child getting ready, all dressed to go on the front porch, at school in front of the sign and with the teacher, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page