worried about kindergarten - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-29-2004, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds is registered to start kindergarten in sept. i am lucky that we live in a great school district.

dh and i have been talking about looking at kimberton waldorf. my friends son went there and whenever she would talk about it my mouth would drool. when dh said he'd actually look at it i just about fainted!

now i am getting nervous. i can't shake the stereotypical notion of what school should be - reading, math, science etc. ds is very bright - he is more geared towards the academic vs the creative (unless it has to do with power rangers LOL) i'm afraid that if i send him to waldorf he'll miss out on the ABC's and 123's (make sense) and will somehow be behind academically. i know they don't really start "academics" until the later school years.

another thing - ds watches too much tv. i know i mentioned this before - dh and my mom have no problem with letting him sit in front of the tube for hours on end. it is a battle we have daily. don't get me wrong - i don't mind tv but when i think about the times he would play for hours and now we fight over turning off the tv - i cringe that it got this far.

finally - our main reason for waldorf is we like the gentle atmosphere it provides. chris is a follower - if everyone is good, he is good. if a kid is running around screaming - he is right there with them. also - he is very sensitive and we are afraid that he will become a target for bullies. he isn't aggressive AT ALL and we are afraid he won't stand up for himself. he can play with very young kids (as some of you can attest) and also hang with older kids. he is like an old man (which makes for some very hysterical conversations) i know kids are kids and i remember how cruel i was to my younger brother growing up and i dont want him to get hurt like that. if someone really hurts his feelings he won't tell us until days later when it casually pops up in conversations. he is also very cautious and not very daring. (which we don't mind at all!!) basically - he is a super sweet kid and i am afraid he'll get eaten alive in public school. i could easily be over-reacting too. he went to preschool for 2 years, had no problem, had tons of friends and got his first girlfriend yesterday! (hubba hubba) his teachers loved him and often commented on how he was able to bring some very shy kids out of their shell. i dont know what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-29-2004, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

i just noticed the waldorf thread - sorry!
#3 of 3 Old 07-30-2004, 02:49 AM

Lorena: Hi! Have we "spoke" in the past perhaps about our kids ? There was someone I "met" here at MDC from Collegevile and we tried to get together and it didnt work out or somthing?? anyway, My son is at Kimberton and Has just finished Kindergarten. If there is any consolation in this, My son is also a very sensitive and conscientious child who I also would worry about being "eaten alive" at public school. He has done very well at waldorf and the concern that he would miss out on abc 's is not there. He is only now starting to show any interest in letters--- 6and a half--- and i believe in following the childs needs, the way waldorf does. What I would be concerned about your child missing out on would be the time to just "be" a child--- as the social climate and time to play in public school is often not revered for young children. They really do need time to play a lot and be outside, which is what they do a whole lot of in waldorf. It's great!!!!
hope you can come to a conclusion soon.
Laura

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page