What do you think about Waldorf Parent and Child program? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-07-2004, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to decide if we're going to participate in the parent and child program. i'm sure that ds would enjoy it, but i'm not sure that it's really necessary at this point in time. He's almost 3. It's only 2 hours a week. I can find the money for tuition somewhere, but it's really pretty expensive for us. I think the program would be a good way to ease into waldorf--i still have some misgivings about anthroposophy, but there are aspects about waldorf that i really like.

I'd really love to hear some feedback from someone who's participated in the parent and child thing...

heartbeat.gif

#2 of 5 Old 08-08-2004, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We went to the program with my daughter. Overall we liked it. She did not have any siblings or neighborhood friends at the time, and she was/is very social, so we wanted a regular group of kids to hang out with. We were very interested in Waldorf at the time, too.

However, in the end we just decided it was too expensive for what it was, and we decided against Waldorf for various reasons. Personally, I think it's a "nice to have", but not worth scraping to get the tuition for. Maybe you can arrange a free playgroup that would use a similar "Waldorf-inspired" approach.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#3 of 5 Old 08-08-2004, 01:11 PM

Learning more about Waldorf and seeing if it is right for your family, meeting other like minded families, helping you get into Waldorf pre-school if that is what you want.

It can be expensive and it isn't absolutely necessary. Our school recently added a parent tot class because so many families had requested it. It can be a good introduction to Waldorf. It is, however; very teacher dependent and a mismatched teacher can skew a family's whole view of Waldorf and turn them off from it. We have had to evaluate Waldorf at each step of the process because it is so teacher dependent.

Good luck! I would also take the advice of seeing about starting an informal play group. You could advertise for like minded families at the natural food store, the local Waldorf school's newspaper or anywhere families congregate.
#4 of 5 Old 08-08-2004, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

i love the idea of a free waldorf inspired playgroup! i'm not prepared to take on something like that though. now, if someone else around here organized something like that, i'd sign up in a second.

heartbeat.gif

#5 of 5 Old 08-08-2004, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Why don't you put up some notices just saying that you are interested in a waldorf inspired play group and want to see if there are any other mamas who want the same thing. There may be somebody who has been thinking about starting one and just needed a nudge. Or someone who would take it on if the interest is there. Stir the pot a little!

Nana

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page