Anyone else having their first day at preschool/kindergarten? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-13-2004, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just wondering if you are, how its going.

Dd (3 1/2) started preschool last a week ago tuesday, 2 days a week. Yesterday was the first day she made it all the way thru w/o crying, and the first day she made some friends. Im so glad its gone well, and that we didnt have to stay all day with her or come to pick her up bc she was upset to be there. I think she was really ready for it........in fact, it was HER idea about starting this early, I was ready to wait another year.

Just wondering how everyone else is getting thru the first week or two of the new transition.
#2 of 24 Old 08-13-2004, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
glad to hear it's going well! when my ds started preschool over a year ago, i was more emotional than he was. i'm sure she'll have a great time. ds starts at the end of august, he's been going to this place for a while but moved up to the older class--a very big deal to him--and i think he's a bit anxious about playing with the "big kids"
#3 of 24 Old 08-14-2004, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

yea, its alot easier when they are ready. It HAS been an emotional week though!
#4 of 24 Old 08-17-2004, 12:16 PM

Not quite yet........6 more days. I'm kind of nervous. Margaret is starting kindergarten, and I'm not too worried about that. She ADORED pre-K last year. The only thing that worries me a little is that she still can't write her name. I have worked and worked and worked, but I'm not cut out to be a teacher (hence, we are not homeschooling yet, maybe once they get to middle school age). She knows her full name, her b'day, her address, her phone number, all the stuff she needs to know, except how to write.

Aidan's starting preschool. THAT has me really nervous. I think 3 is kind of young for school. But he has autism, and the school district takes over providing services once a child turns 3. He'll be going full days, 4 days a week. They'll be providing all his therapies that he used to get at home, along with a preschool type classroom setting. I'm afraid he's going to be pretty slow to adjust. Then again, I'm sure they are used to dealing with that, the whole school is early childhood special ed.
#5 of 24 Old 08-19-2004, 05:52 PM

Ds starts Sept 7th, preschool. We went and toured it today, it was great! he seems excited, but keeps asking me what I am going to do when he is at school......lol
#6 of 24 Old 08-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Banned

Dd started last Thursday. She was a little apprehensive both Thurs and Fri (could see it in her eyes, but she didn't cry), but now she's totally settled in and happy. She'd attended the same school previously for mornings, but in a different class for younger kids.
#7 of 24 Old 08-19-2004, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulybabes
Aidan's starting preschool. THAT has me really nervous. I think 3 is kind of young for school. But he has autism, and the school district takes over providing services once a child turns 3. He'll be going full days, 4 days a week. They'll be providing all his therapies that he used to get at home, along with a preschool type classroom setting. I'm afraid he's going to be pretty slow to adjust. Then again, I'm sure they are used to dealing with that, the whole school is early childhood special ed.
My son is getting ready to start Kindergarden and he just finished up at an autism preschool. It was a fabulous, fabulous, fabulous program. He was non-verbal when he started. He hid from other kids (usually by dropping to the floor in the middle of a group). He had so many issues that I cried every night worrying about him. Now, he speaks (short, focused conversations, but they count!). He is potty-trained. He will play with other kids as long as they lead him. That isn't to say we didn't have rough patches -- we did, especially about 2 weeks after every break. But I credit a lot of his progress to his wonderful teachers and simply the preschool routine that kept him secure while teaching him. Feel free to PM me if you want details, or just to chat.

All that being said, my boy is starting Kindergarden on Monday. And my girl (also special needs) is starting Preschool on Monday. I'm waiting to see if I pass out or throw up. I may schedule a therapy session for my youngest (also special needs) just to keep me busy.

Hang in there mamas. I'm hoping the stress is all mine so there's none left for my kids.
#8 of 24 Old 08-23-2004, 10:16 AM

Well, one down, one to go. Just dropped Margaret off at school. She's been excited up til this morning, and I guess it finally clicked that it's a new school. First it was "I don't want to go if I can't ride the bus" Then it was "what if the other kids are too loud and I can't hear the teacher?" Poor little thing. But she was grinning as I left, little rolling backpack in one hand, lunch bag in the other. Eesh, when did she get so big?

Aidan's school starts at 9, so he's munching on some cereal and watching Elmo's World (when is that little Muppet gonna learn PRONOUNS, man???), then it'll be time to dress him and take him in. THAT one is gonna get me, I know. My baby, probably my last baby, going off to school. At least he still lets me dress him. He's gonna be so cute in his little rainbow tie dyed shirt! LOL
#9 of 24 Old 08-23-2004, 10:55 AM

My first baby starts preschool for the first time after labor day. He is soo excited and very ready! He's never been the type to cry when I leave him. He says 'okay mommy, you go now' and runs off to play. So yeah, I'm more emotional about it than he is! He's only going 2x per week for about 3hrs. each time but I know he'll have so much fun!

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#10 of 24 Old 08-23-2004, 11:55 AM

Well, that was harder than I thought. As soon as we pulled into the parking, lot, Aidan started yelling "Oh no! Oh no!" I got him out of the car, and put his backpack on him, which he actually liked, and oh it was so cute! But as soon as we got to the door, he tried to pull me the other way. When he saw his teacher, he really started pulling for the door, then asked me to pick him up, which is kind of unusual for him. I wanted to make it quick and cheerful, so I told him Daddy would come get him in the afternoon, gave him a kiss, and handed him off to the teacher. He let her hold him, so that's good, because he doesn't usually let people other than me or dh hold him. But he was yelling "BYE BYE!" in his really mad voice.

I hope he settles in ok. I guess he hasn't been TOTALLY awful, they haven't called yet. I've just got to keep reminding myself that these people are really experienced, and they know what to do. For the past 3 yrs, dh and I have been the only ones who knew how to "handle" him, so this is really weird.
#11 of 24 Old 08-23-2004, 09:51 PM

Glad to see this thread and to read of your experiences. DD and I are going for a half hour orientation tomorrow. She starts after Labor Day. She's a social butterfly and is (at least at this point...) absolutely ecstatic about starting school. She's been acting out going to school several times a day for the past month. I'll post soon. I still can't believe she's going to school (a very outdoorsy and creative Montessori school close to our home)--but she seems eager and ready. Hoping for the best! I think that she's going to have a blast.
#12 of 24 Old 08-24-2004, 07:04 PM

How many days are you all having your little ones go to preschool ? Half day or whole day ? And at what age did you start ? I am considering having my little one at 3 yrs old attend 3 days a week, half days - Montessori School.
#13 of 24 Old 08-24-2004, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgh
How many days are you all having your little ones go to preschool ? Half day or whole day ? And at what age did you start ? I am considering having my little one at 3 yrs old attend 3 days a week, half days - Montessori School.
Aidan is going 4 days a week, full days, and he's 3. Half days were an option, but then he wouldn't be getting all the services he needs. It's just a really different situation with him because of the autism though.

I started Margaret full days 5 days a week at 4. I thought about half days, but she's one of those kids that just LOVES school, and the school was good, so I didn't see any harm in letting her go full time.

I think it just depends on the personality of the child. Some will want the slow transition of just a couple half days a week, some want to jump in with both feet.
#14 of 24 Old 08-24-2004, 07:14 PM

BTW, Aidan settled in just fine. He slept most of the afternoon yesterday, but they just let him. I think they know I feel his morning class is more important than his afternoon class.

Today, he was happier about going to school. Not actually excited, but didn't fight me. When we went to pick him up, he was in the para's lap, fast asleep. LOL He didn't take a nap today, and when they went out in the lobby to wait for parents, he just climbed up and went to sleep. They said he did really well today, his note says he played in the water table, and painted and colored, all of which are preferred activities for him, so no surprise that he was happy today. LOL
#15 of 24 Old 08-24-2004, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgh
My son with autism also went 4 full days a week. My daughter is going 4 half-days a week. If it weren't for her special needs, she would only be going 2 days a week because 3-year olds are limited to that in our district due to enrollment numbers.
#16 of 24 Old 08-24-2004, 07:18 PM

we never thought we would use a preschool, but tristan is starting in a week.

i have a new one and he needs play that i simply cannot provide consistently.

he is 2. totally 'ready'- he is a nursing toddler but is willing to leave me and play for hours if there is fun to be had!

he will have 2 days, 3 hours a day. tuesdays and thursdays- at least 2 times a week out of the house guaranteed for him and that is a big thing for us right now. kassi is 2 months already but i am still feeling very housebound.

it is a little montessori preschool right down the street.

i dont expect tristan to have trouble but seriously if he cries about school at all i will take him out.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#17 of 24 Old 08-24-2004, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Dd is 3 1/2 and goes Tuesday and Thursday 9-1. Dh would like to add a day, but she's just getting thru the adjustment period, and I think 2 days is just the right amount of time.

Shes VERY social.......I always thought Id start her in Prek or Kindergarten, but she told me she wanted to go....
She attends a private school about 4 minutes away that goes Preschool thru 5th grade. Small classes, excellent teachers. Dd has 18 kids in her class and 3 teachers that are there all the time, plus whatever parent decides to help out. THe kindergarten has only 12 children.
#18 of 24 Old 08-25-2004, 01:39 PM

3.5 yo DS started last Monday. He goes 3 days a week, full day (8-4) I wanted to pick him up early, but I got him at 3:00 - he said I came too early. On Wed. he said the same thing! Friday he didn't go because he had conjuctivitis - but it only stayed through the weekend. Monday I got him at 4:00, and he said I left him too long!

I feel bad for leaving him - but he really likes it! He loves the social interaction. In Dec. he goes to the Pre-K room when he turns 4 and there is more structure there. He's in the "3's" now, they mostly play in there. He is also starting in Sept. a "Fast Track" program - we'll see how that works out.

My problem, is sitting here at home doing nothing and feeling bad about it! We are sending him so that when I start getting substitute teaching calls, I already have a place for him. But as I sit here and wait - I'm supposed to be cleaning or working on WAHM stuff.... but I don't! AAARRGGHH!!! I came to this section because as I was sitting here reading, I couldn't believe that I dropped my baby off somewhere else, while I was home! I understand if I was working, but I'm perfectly capable of taking care of him..... I miss him But I know it's could for him, and get him used to it before I do start working.

Ok - I babbled long enough. I think I'll go vaccumm -might make me feel better! At least I have a puppy that I am housebreaking to take care of! What would a mama's day be without cleaning up poop!
#19 of 24 Old 08-30-2004, 03:58 PM

Ds starts the older-two's preschool program in three weeks (they start late at this school!) and I'm anxious but excited, and so is he, I think. We had to get him potty-learned for the most part, and he did great with that - underpants all day long and sometimes he's dry all night! He says to me often "I'm going to school, Mama!" and we talk about what he will do there - play with toys, make friends - and about his teacher, who he's met a few times, Mrs. Massa (a fun name to say!)

I hope he does all right with the separation. I bet he'll be the only bfing toddler there! I'll let you know how it goes when he starts!

Oh, it's T/W/F 9-12, and they have a gradual separation in the beginning where the kids go half the time, and the parents are allowed to stay in the building (not the classroom/playground).
#20 of 24 Old 09-03-2004, 07:41 PM

We're starting dd (3 y.o.), either next week or the following week - depending on which school I decide on! I had thought I was too late to get into a Waldorf pre-school, so signed her up for another nice enough play-oriented pre-school, which starts next week. Then, I found out today, that a school I'd heard great things about had an opening for a girl. Went and met the teacher and saw her little cottage/school - it's sooooo sweet! I'm really leaning towards Waldorf and am feeling a little sheepish about cancelling the other school : My only concern about the Waldorf school is that they really don't want alot of parent involvement, and this is dd's first time away from home without me for a few hours. My gut tells me once she gets settled in, she'll be fine, but I guess I'm still having issues about her going to school!
#21 of 24 Old 09-07-2004, 01:14 AM

I am soooooooooo aganizing over whether or not I was right to sing up my two year old ( march 02) THe trial week of summer camp was tough, he didn't want to get into the car, out of the car when we got there, and I felt as if i was betraying him! He had fun while there ( i think) but now while we are waiting for schoold to begin ( one week) he says he dosen't want to leave the house. We even says "I want to stay home' when I ask if he wants to go to the park. He seems restless and confused, I hope I haven't danaged his trust, and i worked sooooooooo hard to prevent him from developing learned helplessness!!! Does anyone who is attatchment parenting friendly have a background in shild psych?????????? I don't want ot push him, but he also will love using the montessori materials!
#22 of 24 Old 09-07-2004, 03:00 PM

My son just turned two and started preschool today. I stayed with him the whole time - the only mother who did. The teachers did not have a problem with it but I have received so many comments from people about it. I just am not sure if it the right thing. He really likes playing with other kids and although I am a SAHM and do try to arrange play dates, I though maybe this would be more consistent and also give me some time to get things done around the house , if and when I do leave him there. My main fear is that he will feel abandoned and scared and secondly, I fear he will somehow escape and get hurt. The school is located on a very busy street.

The comments I am hearing, mainly from my sister who is very mainstreamed in her parenting beliefs, are things like, " you have to leave him so he can learn to fend for himself." Can you imagine thinking such a thing about a two year old? I wonder if two is too young...
#23 of 24 Old 09-07-2004, 04:15 PM

My dd has been attending a "mommy and me" type class once a week at a Montessori school. Parents are required to stay, so no problem there. I think just follow your gut, your heart, and that little voice inside ! You and your child will know when he/she are ready to start the "leave alone at school phase". I so far plan to start at age 3. Part of my reason is the Montessori theory was initially geared for the ages of 3-6 anyway. Also a big issue for my husband is that dd must be "talking" enough so that we understand what she is saying, and can "report" aobut school and anything that happens/happened. See if your school offers a class like that, also many do let you become the "class mom". Lastly if after a week of trying to get your little one to "go" to school with out you, and they are still have a very difficult transition, I would say it was too soon. Don't worry two is still very early to start "real school", it tends to be more of "daycare" at that point it seems anyway.
Now having said that, if you want to or need to get your little one in school now, try other opportunities of leaving your little one. Start with playdates with a trusted friend. Also try maybe half day of school versus a whole day.
Take care
#24 of 24 Old 09-08-2004, 02:22 AM

mom2august - I know that for me, two would have been too young. Even now that dd's three, I have moments where I'm wondering if I should wait a little longer. Don't get me wrong, I think she's going to enjoy school - otherwise I wouldn't have signed her up. But, the shift from being home with me all day every day to being at school three mornings a week will be big (at leaste for me!). I'm in my forties, and when I was little, there wasn't even any pre-school. You started kindergarten at age 5 (or really late 4 in my case) and that was that. Everyone just was at home with their mom or other caregiver. I don't know when the trend began to start sending kids to school earlier and earlier began. Honestly, if all of dd's friends weren't in school (thereby prompting the question from her regularly "when am I going to school?"), I probably would have waited another 6 months to a year.

I agree, go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right, change the situation. Or stay with him in school. Just follow your instincts - you know your child. Best wishes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page