Thoughts on Sacramento Waldorf or Montessori schools? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2004, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since this is my very first MDC post, I am not sure whether this is the best place for my query, or if it should go to the CA/NV tribal area (and I'm not sure if x-posting is a no-no. Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum!

I am wondering if anyone here has personal experience (positive or negative or mixed) with any of the Sacramento (CA) area Waldorf or Montessori schools?

My husband and I are starting to think about pre-school programs for our son, and are attracted to aspects of both of these (very different! :smile) educational philosophies. What we really want to know, though, is how those philosophies are put into action at the various schools (esp. pre-school and elementary) in the area. Of course, we will be visiting many schools, but wanted to talk to some parents with experience. (I searched through old forums and didn't see any specific comments about this area's schools.)

If you (or someone you know) has had experience with any of the area schools (Camellia Waldorf, Sac Waldorf, Sac Montessori, McKinley Montessori, etc.), do you mind either a) sharing your perspective here in the forum or b)sending me a PM so that I can ask you a bit about your perspective?

Many thanks!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 01:41 PM

Hi Karen! I will be moving to Sacramento in about a month and my dh, who is already there, is checking out schools (we have a ds,7, dd 5, and ds 2.5.). He emailed me last week all excited about the Sacramento Waldorf School; it sounds like just the environment we want for our children, however it is fairly expensive. Dh was going to see if maybe there was some way we could volunteer to offset the cost. I don't know much more than that, I'll let you know if I find out more.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:13 PM

Hi Karen! I'm also in the Sacramento area, but my DD isn't school-age yet.

My best friend has two daughters in the public Montessori program across from Sutter's Fort. She loves the school and the girls have really blossomed since they started attending there.

I wanted to let you know that Sac Waldorf is hosting a conference on Waldorf in the home in late October: http://www.informedfamilylife.org/ I found out about it through the Mother's Support Network. I'm interested in the sessions about preschooling at home.

Good luck and let us know what your experiences are!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Linnea -- I am very interested in the public Montessori programs and am glad your friend's family is doing well there. I have heard they have long waiting lists..will check it out soon.

Deb--welcome (almost) to Sacramento! Maybe it will cool off by the time you arrive I've heard good things about SWS, as well, but the price tag--oy! It's also pretty far from us; we live near downtown.

Please post again if y'all learn anything more...

User Tag List