Indoor Shoes for school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-16-2004, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is starting 1st grade at a Waldorf school and her teacher has requested canvas boat shoes for indoor shoes. Anyone know where you can find this that don't cost a mint?

Does your school have indoor and outdoor shoes (cuts down on the dirt)? The teacher requested shoes with flexible soles that can be worn outside during a fire drill. He specifically mentioned the boat shoes but I am having no luck finding them. What do your children use at school?

Thanks!
#2 of 16 Old 08-16-2004, 11:17 AM

sounds like Keds! Have you looked at Payless? Shoe Dept? Walmart?

Just canvas sneakers... simple, easy to slip on or tie. I think Keds even has some that are slip on with elastic.

My ds's schools haven't required anything special.
#3 of 16 Old 08-16-2004, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Slip on would be the choice. I haven't had much luck at Target or Payless. I won't shop at Walmart. The problem I have with these lists from the teacher is that they send them out after all the summer stuff has gone on clearance so you can't find these shoes anywhere! I have been looking online and have found Vans in black and red which she won't wear for $35 but nothing else for kids. Let me know if you see anything online!
#4 of 16 Old 08-16-2004, 01:01 PM

Do you have DSW shoe stores? What about Shoe Carnival? Those two usually have Keds for kids. Maybe bigger department stores? JC Penny and Sears usually carry a large line of kids shoes.
#5 of 16 Old 08-16-2004, 11:02 PM

I just went through the same thing!! My son also needed the indoor shoes for waldorf kindergarten, his teacher also mentioned the ked type boat shoes, payless or target. I couldn't find them anywhere, not even online. Except for some really girly ones. I ended up just ordering some online from lands end kids. They are called all weather mocs.(the ones without the zipper) $24.50 They come in all different colors. I think they will work really good.
good luck
#6 of 16 Old 08-17-2004, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

I will probably end up going with the fake Merrells at either Target or Lands End. I hope the sole is flexible enough. The only canvas slipons I have been able to find have pretty thick and stiff soles so I don't think they are flexible enough. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check out Sears online.
#7 of 16 Old 08-17-2004, 09:09 AM

It won't solve your problem for this year, but how about a school shoe recycle coop. Our local soccer league invites people to turn in their outgrown shoes, tied together and marked with size. Then at the team announcements, the shoes are out for people to get and use.

I know when I was in private school growing up people handed their uniforms down in a similar way. Especially if the shoes are only used indoors, they might be able to last through a number of kids that way.

Maybe something for the parents' group to organize.....
#8 of 16 Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend
It won't solve your problem for this year, but how about a school shoe recycle coop. Our local soccer league invites people to turn in their outgrown shoes, tied together and marked with size. Then at the team announcements, the shoes are out for people to get and use.

I know when I was in private school growing up people handed their uniforms down in a similar way. Especially if the shoes are only used indoors, they might be able to last through a number of kids that way.

Maybe something for the parents' group to organize.....
That is an interesting idea. The school already has a ski equipment exchange. I think many people end up using the indoor shoes at home during the summer so the indoor shoes become outdoor shoes. I know that is what we do!
#9 of 16 Old 08-17-2004, 11:20 AM

when I last looked there were nonbulky slipper and slipon shoes in the Land's End overstocks section.
#10 of 16 Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 PM

Check Marshalls! They will have their summer shos on clearance
#11 of 16 Old 09-05-2004, 04:32 PM

I ended up buying some soft star mocassins for my daughters indoor shoes for Waldorf Kindergarten. Her teacher also suggested those canvas shoes but she said the mocs would be fine as long as they don't slip off too easily.
#12 of 16 Old 09-06-2004, 07:54 AM

Just thought that you all might be interested to know that "indoor shoes" are very common here in Europe. In my children's public schools they are required to have them for the classroom...
#13 of 16 Old 09-09-2004, 12:23 AM

In our son's Waldorf school kindergarten they just started using Eurythmy slippers as their indoor shoes. They are white slippers that strap on. They are easy to put on, and they don't fall off. The teacher says they are working out great becasue of this. They cost us very little, but I think they got them wholesale or on bulk order because we are lucky enough to have a mom in the classroom whose family is from Germany and she bought them there this summer and brought back 70 pairs of slippers in her suitcase! I know you can get them in the U.S. though too, you just might have to order them.
#14 of 16 Old 09-09-2004, 12:57 AM

i didn't see (maybe i missed it) but no one mentioned "water shoes" the slippers you can wear in the water? anyway, they are very flexible, rubber bottomed & have been working great-were recommended by my sons kinder teacher.
you could maybe find them on clearance somewhere now?
good luck whatever you do!
sanQ
#15 of 16 Old 09-09-2004, 01:53 AM
Len

I also needed indoor shoes/slippers for my son who is in a Waldorf school, and the Acorn slippers are what I liked the most.... actually I ended up buying a pair for myself... here'sa link but you can also make a search yourself, they're great.
#16 of 16 Old 09-09-2004, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas! We ended up going with Merrel moc knock offs. I never could find canvas boat shoes. The eurthymy shoes and Acorn slippers won't work here in the grade school. They have to be shoes that can be worn outside in wet Seattle if there is a fire drill. Those shoes work great for Kindergarten though. We used Kandy Korn slippers in Kindergarten.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page