DD not going to preschool - have I screwed up? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-24-2004, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The plan was that I was going to go back to work full time. I've been half heartedly looking for a job all year and still don't have one. It is hard to find a job that pays enough to justify putting 2 in full time daycare. Anyway, that means I never enrolled dd1 in a preschool for the fall. She'll be 5 in October and will go to K next year, but I'm finding that it seems EVERYONE around here goes to pre-K or preschool somewhere. I've called several places and they either have no openings at this late date or are crazy expensive. (It was $340/month for one program that was part of the public school's high school child dev program!)

I guess I never gave it much thought until we started meeting others around here (we moved states at the end of last year) and one of the first questions/topics of conversations is "what preschool is she attending?" or "my kids go to xyz." How naive am I that I thought it was just a fun optional thing to do if you wanted (read: can afford) to. Is she going to be the only one next year that didn't go to preschool? I feel terrible that she doesn't really have any friends here because we moved here at the end of last year and we just haven't gotten into the right circles that have kids her age. She's very bright and I don't think she'll be that far behind academically, but socially I'm worried.
#2 of 6 Old 08-24-2004, 05:38 PM

Instead of preschool consider participation in programs at recreation centers.
They have learning,crafts,swimming,gymnastics,dance,karate,a nd so on.

Or look into early PTA groups which cater to newborns to age 5. If you really want a preschool try your local head start program.If your income is low enough your dd would be able to attend a program for free. You could also work wherever your child is in daycare/preschool for free/reduced rates.

Personally I don't think my dd got much worth while out of preschool that could not have been gotten elsewhere. If I could go back and do it again I would spend that money on other programs/outings. Best wishes!
#3 of 6 Old 08-24-2004, 06:55 PM

I just had this conversation with someone last night. In CA we have all the PSAs about how important preschool is. I never went to preschool and these ads make me feel like I should be a failuire. However, I have a masters degree and hold a Sr. Mgmt position. (on the flipside, my freind whom should hold a PhD according to the commercial because she was to a pricy preschool, dropped out of community college) But my parents spent lost of time w/ me. My dad was a teacher and came up with age-appropriate activities, my mom took me to classes at the community center. I think "mommy's preschool" should be fine. Do preschool type activities together, go to storytime, Go on outings or take classes. If you need a break, maybe you can find a p/t nurshery school through a local church, temple, or community group where she can go a couple days a week for a couple of hours.
#4 of 6 Old 08-24-2004, 07:23 PM

I dont' know. I think preschool is a good idea if you can find/afford a good one, but I don't think it will be disastorous (sp??) if you can't. Like a previous poster suggested, classes, or a playgroup would be good for learning social skills.
#5 of 6 Old 08-24-2004, 07:53 PM

None of my kids went to preschool--my oldest two are now in sixth and seventh grade and both excel academically. Ds was reading at an adult level by second grade and he's already taking algebra for high school credit.

I'm sure your dd will be fine! Preschool is fine for parents who want it, but the home environment can be stimulating and fun too. Try library story hours or see if there's homeschooling group in your area and join for the year and just tell everyone she's homeschooled. Our hs group has a weekly play group and goes on tons of fun outings.
#6 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 09:35 AM

My son didn't go to preschool and is entering Kindergarten next month. Studies have shown that preschool only makes a real difference (in ensuring Kindergarten readiness and future success in school) in kids who come from disadvantaged homes where they are not learning the basic skills. I think if you choose to send your kids to pre, that's great, but you shouldn't feel that your kids won't be ready for Kindergarten if they don't go to pre.

Everybody asked me what pre-school is your son going to? The conversation just kind of died when I said he's not in pre-school. I think I know of one other mom who didn't send her kids to pre-school, but that's all. My son took various pre-school classes here and there and I take him to parks, museums, libraries, playgroups, etc. He's going to be just fine in Kindergarten.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page