Handwriting help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-25-2004, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son just started kindergarten....two things made the start a bit hard, first he's going full day (6 hours) and second he went to a montessori preschool and this is pretty much the opposite for a classroom (typical grade school classroom). He has come home every day this last week complaining about how much he doesn't like it and when we get to the part he actually doesn't like it's the handwriting. He doesn't like holding a pencil and he says it hurts his hand (makes it tired I'm guessing). He was never much for coloring as a toddler and I never really pushed it. I'm going to get some modeling clay to hopefully help build up his hand strength but I'm at a loss for what else to do to help him with this, any ideas?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-25-2004, 10:10 PM

Use small golf pencils (like you find in the library).

Stetro Pencil Grips or Start Right Pencil Grips

http://www.hwtears.com/solutions3.htm
#3 of 4 Old 08-25-2004, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

ahh yes!! Thank You! I had actually just thought about that from my ol' occupational therapy days. Just not remembering much right now I'm afraid.
#4 of 4 Old 08-26-2004, 02:47 AM

My DD went to Montessori too and had a hard time in the beginning of Kindergarten- but soon enough things got better-so don't worry too much!
She still tells me once in a while that she wishes she could go to Montessori, but that's because she enjoys being able to explore at her own pace/preference. In public school, this is obviously not an option. I am sure over the next month or two he will get used to the daily routines and will begin to accept a new way of learning. Unfortunatley for some of us it's a case of "like it or not" this is how it is.

Try using corn on the cob pins and use them to punch holes around pictures of shapes. Kind of like tracing but instead punching little holes. The end result- the shape will pop out when he is finished- and he will have gotten some practice with his pincer (sp?) grip.

Also try having him play with peg boards.
Anything that he will be using his pointer finger and thumb to grasp objects. Larger objects to start and work your way to smaller objects such as the size of thumbtacks or pencils.

Use writting paper with the large lines and the dotties in between. I found these at Family Dollar- 2 pads for a buck.

HTH and good luck

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page