Would you be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, here's the deal. Margaret has been looking forward to starting kindergarten since before pre-K even let out for the summer. First day comes, she's so excited, she comes home even more excited, she knew one of the girls in her class! That was Monday. Now every day since then, she's been crabbing in the mornings about how she hates school, the kids are mean, she doesn't want to go. But when she comes home, she's happy and excited about all the stuff they did that day.

Now, she is just not a morning person, and I'm figuring this is PROBABLY the real problem, but decided to talk to her teacher just in case. So we get to school, and I said "Well, Margaret, I'm gonna go talk to Mrs B about why you don't like school" She starts giggling and telling me no, no, no, she likes school! Further confirming my suspicions that it's just an "I dont' want to get up and get dressed so early" thing rather than a "school sucks" thing.

Mrs B tells me that Margaret is doing great, has lots of friends, is eager to learn, has a great time, yadda yadda yadda. This is very common, blah blah.

But Margaret just sounds so convincing when she tells me the kids are mean! I guess I'm paranoid because I was teased so much in school. If your child was only unhappy in the mornings, and the teacher told you everything was fine, would you still worry?

Ok, writing this out, I realize that I am definitely just paranoid, but I"m gonna post it anyway, just to see if anyone has any other insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 10:56 AM

I think your daughter is not a morning person. My daughter is the same and had the same issues. Unhappy in the morning and not wanting to come home at the end of the day. Also, even as much as they like Kindergarten it is stressful at times so she may need some extra cuddle time with you.

My daughter starts 1st grade this fall so we'll see how it goes because Kindergarten is deffinitely not like 1st grade at our school.
#3 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 01:20 PM

My kids do the same thing. Very happy the first day. Not happy every morning after that for awhile. Fortunately, I learned with my son that this is the routine after every break -- the exciting novelty factor only lasts one day. Then it's 7 am and he has to get up and he's not excited.
#4 of 6 Old 08-27-2004, 12:51 AM

It sounds to me as if your instinct about your dd is right, but I think it's great that you've spoken to her teacher about it. Most teachers will take that information and do a little observing following a comment/question like that from a parent, so now she'll probably watch a little bit and will likely give you more feedback about it. So in the unlikely event that something negative is occurring, she'll notice it sooner and hopefully put a stop to it. If not, then she'll continue to give you great updates. Good thinking!
#5 of 6 Old 08-27-2004, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. We went through it again this morning. I reminded her that when she comes home, she always says she had fun, and told her I understand that getting up in the morning isn't fun, but that's when school starts, so we have to. She was much more matter of fact today, not whiny or crabby. Just "I don't like school. Ok, I'm ready, let's go". LOL

I think the other problem is, she really really wants to ride the bus. Most of the kids do, but I drive her. She's only 5!!! Dh and I are gonna sit down and talk out all the pros and cons of letting her ride the bus. It makes me really nervous, but the stop is right at the corner, and I'd walk her there, and then it's only a mile to school.
#6 of 6 Old 08-31-2004, 05:59 PM

My dd just went through this as well - it is very very normal and common. Don't forget that Kindegarten is a big change especially from a child's point of view.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page