Silly questions about items on k'garten supply list - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bear with me now... (yes, I am blond!)

Ds's supply list is very specific - ie, "8-pack of Twistable Crayola crayons." That is all well and good. I've found most of the stuff, but three items have me confused, either about what to get or where to find them.

1. "Zipper pouch for colored pencils" - OK, you'd think this wouldn't be too difficult. But I can't find one! Since they specified that the folders should be plain w/o characters, etc, I think a solid color pouch would be ideal, but where should I look?

2. "Small plastic envelope (4x6) for flash cards" - what is this and where do I find one?

3. "Permanent laundry markers" - is this just a sharpie so I can write his name on his clothing, etc?

Thanks, mamas!

Becca
#2 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 11:46 AM

If you ask me, if they're going to be THAT specific, the school should provide the option to parents of supplying the items at-cost!

(And I SO would not want a roomful of kindergarteners with permanent markers in their desks....)

I haven't seen plastic envelopes, but you could take a 4 by 6 mailing envelope and cover it with Contact paper. Have you looked near binders/ Trapper Keepers for the zippered pouch?
#3 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 12:17 PM

1. Would this zipper pouch be the kind of thing that has three holes for placing into a notebook? I've seen these at office supply stores.

2. For the flash cards I'm guessing that little plastic envelopes meant for holding index cards would work. Again, I would look in the index card aisle of your office supply store.

3. I would agree that the permanent laundry marker would be a Sharpie.
#4 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 02:34 PM

I've actually noticed that all of the places we've been shopping for school supplies have things called laundry markers. They don't run when you use them to write on clothes. My guess is that a sharpie would be okay, too.

As far as the "small plastic envelope", would a ziploc work? That is probably what I'd use.

I have to find an apron for my kid. An apron!
#5 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the ideas! I felt rather sheepish to post this query, but now I'm glad I did.

Mothra, thanks for the "laundry marker" tip! That one makes sense now. Plus by that item the teacher wrote "keep these at home!", so that is further evidence that it's for the parents to use (plus it eliminates your fear, srain! ).

OK, I'm off to the office supply store! I checked online at Staples for 1 and 2, but didn't find what I wanted. Maybe in person will work out better. Hopefully I can convince DH to watch the kids so I can go out alone - it's much easier to hunt around when I'm not trying to amuse my kids!

I would MUCH rather that the teacher just get the stuff she wants and charge us, but oh well. At least I was able to find most of it on sale. I just want my child to be suitably equipped - sort of to reassure myself that I've done everything I can for him!
#6 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 04:39 PM

I don't think it would be fair to ask teachers to buy all of this stuff out of pocket. No way would they ever be reimbursed. My mom was a teacher for a while, and I have friends who are teachers, and they spend way too much of their own money as it is.

I've never run across a teacher who had a fit if everythign wasn't exactly as they requested. I'm sure whatever you get will be fine.
#7 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Point well-taken, Mothra. Of course I wouldn't want his teacher to pay out-of-pocket. I guess I'm thinking about the grade school that I attended, which now just charges a fee for supplies and gets exactly the stuff they want at cost. Naturally that would require more administrative work, though...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page