i am not ready to send dd to kindergarten - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-27-2004, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but i did on wed aug 25. she did well and they only had a half day............i was bawling in front of the teacher! i walked up to the teacher and of course other parents were milling about and i said "i'm jannan and this is my dd catalina. and please take good care of her................... then the tears started....... she rubbed my back and said "it seems that you've never left her befor" i lied and said " no, never" when she went to home care at 18 months. then all the parents went to a meeting with the principal to answer questions. guess who had the most questions? Me!! i had a ton of questions. in fact , when i ran into the principal yesterday she says very nicely "you are the parent who asked alot of questions." so i said "there is a lot I don't know. i was born and raised in a public school" she understood . but now i can't sleep.......i go to bed at 10 and wake up at 4 and can't get back to bed.

i feel like everything is so different now and nothing will be the same ever.
#2 of 6 Old 08-27-2004, 06:41 PM

I think it is so hard because it is a big step in a long line of many away from you. Yes, going to Kindergarten does change your relationship just as weaning, learning to walk and sleeping in their own bed does. I hope it gets easier with time for you. It sounds like your daughter is enjoying school.
#3 of 6 Old 08-30-2004, 06:00 PM

I understand how you feel, although my daughter just turned 3. I watched my neighbor's child go off to kindergarten this month and felt panicked at the thought of my own girl doing the same- in two years! I hope I'm feeling better about it by then... if not I see myself learning A LOT about homeschooling in a short period of time. at myself.

Sometimes I feel like a weirdo, like there's something wrong with how I feel about sending her to school. Many of our playgroup friends started their kids (her age) in preschool LAST YEAR! I can't even consider it. The most I'll say is that maybe, if she's begging me when she's 4, she'll go to a Spanish preschool a couple of days a week.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#4 of 6 Old 08-31-2004, 02:55 PM

I know I'm more stressed about my son starting K than he his-he's been asking when he gets to go to school for months now!
This is such a big parenting transition, hang in there and don't feel bad for asking lots of questions-I was that parent too at our parent meeting!! And you can be sure others have the same questions, they are just too nervous to ask or hadn't thought of them yet!
It'll get easier and enjoy your time with your DD when she gets home from school! She'll be so excited to share her day with you.
Good luck
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#5 of 6 Old 09-01-2004, 12:10 PM

My dd hasn't started yet. But in another week she will. I have been preparing myself but reading this I am not so prepared.

I am going to be a wreck!!!!

Steff
#6 of 6 Old 09-02-2004, 06:14 AM

Ds started a week ago. The three days before he started, I was a mess. I cried at every little thing. I mean, I was hysterical.

It didn't help that he couldn't wait to go, had a count down till he could go, and could have cared less that I wasn't coming with. (Although I did tell myself, I must have done something right, he has confidence).

You know what I tell myself? That this is normal. I'm crying because I love him, and because he has started living a life that I have to be seperate from, even for a few hours. It's hard. And it makes me sad, so I cry.

Just wanted to say, I'm right there, and I know, it's such a huge change.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page