Partial enrollment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-29-2004, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel like I'm in unchartered territory. Has anyone here done partial enrollment in public school?
I homeschooled for kindergarten and it was much harder than expected.
I put him in public school and they agreed to let me try the partial enrollment. He gets reading, writing, arithmatic, art and music in by 12:05.
He is not doing so great. The school is presuring me to put him in all day but then is telling me at the same time that he should have been held back a year. He was 6 in the end of April.

I am so torn. He does not want to do kindergarten again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-29-2004, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryMO
I feel like I'm in unchartered territory. Has anyone here done partial enrollment in public school?
I homeschooled for kindergarten and it was much harder than expected.
I put him in public school and they agreed to let me try the partial enrollment. He gets reading, writing, arithmatic, art and music in by 12:05.
He is not doing so great. The school is presuring me to put him in all day but then is telling me at the same time that he should have been held back a year. He was 6 in the end of April.

I am so torn. He does not want to do kindergarten again.
He is 6 and they want him to return to Kindergarten? It's not like he just turned 6. Why do they think full day would be better? What do they do after 12:05 that is so necessary for him to be there?

How long has he been in school, early August? What is he having difficulty with? Can you work with the problems at home and get him up to speed if that is the issue? If it is behavoiral, I don't see how a longer day would help.

I hope it gets better soon.
#3 of 7 Old 08-29-2004, 04:51 PM

Can I ask:

What are you hoping to gain from his eduction?
What are you providing at home and what do you expect him to get at school?
Why are you resisting putting him in full day?
How does your son feel about it?
What problems did you have with homeschooling full time?
What benifits are you getting from the current situation?

...?

#4 of 7 Old 08-29-2004, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To answer some of your questions.
I am not against public schooling but I also don't think it takes 7 hours to teach what they teach in a day.

I am supplementing what they teach in school but feel a bit left out of the loop as to what they are teaching him. I've never seen a single one of his books for example. We do any work they send home and some more stuff along the same lines.

He is very well behaved. Likes the teacher. He does do some refusing to finish his work. More because he has to think about it than that it is too hard.

He likes being with the other kids and I really thought the peer group would help him become interested in learning. He just has little to no interest in acidemics.

In the afternoon they do some reading games. If he was there all day he would qualify for the "Reading Recovery" program. They do a computer lab once a week too but I could do most of that stuff at home.

He has been in school 1 & 1/2 weeks. I probably need to just try the arrangement a little longer.

My son does not want to go a whole day. We tried it one day and he was so whipped out!! He likes coming home at lunch time and does not want to go the whole day. I like having him home and not so tired we can do a few things together.

I respect your opinions and hope to hear more.
#5 of 7 Old 08-29-2004, 07:31 PM

Hmm. I think I would continue as you are. Maybe work on his reading at home.

My kids go to Waldorf school and they really encourage the 1st graders to go home at 1 PM instead of staying till 3. After Christmas, then it is okay for most kids to stay until 3. Of course many kids do stay until 3 because their parents work. The reason they want the 1st graders to go home at one is because they are wiped out. The ones that stay have rest time.

Maybe by Christmas or so he will be ready for full day. Good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 08-29-2004, 09:28 PM

Mostly, I am asking questions so you can clarify to yourself, at least, what you are hoping to gain from this experience.

Is you long term goal to have DS in school full time? If so, when do you hope to meet that goal.

Originally you said:
Quote:
He is not doing so great. The school is presuring me to put him in all day but then is telling me at the same time that he should have been held back a year.
Has the school been any more specific *why* they want him there all day? Is part of the problem, perhaps, that other kids want to go home too and it is a disruption? Or do they have specific reasons they feel your DS should be there full time? What is their argument that he should actually still be in kindergarten?

Besides reading games, what else is he missing in the afternoon? If you are entering him primarily for social exposure, have you considered having him there for lunch, recess and the reading games portion and doing the strictly academic portion at home?

If you are interested in help on the home school portion of the equation, there is a great "learning at home and beyond" board here on MDC for any questions in that.

Quote:
I am not against public schooling but I also don't think it takes 7 hours to teach what they teach in a day.
I totally agree with this. But, since the day is structured, if you take him out midway he is only recieving half (or whatever) of the instruction they have deemed necessary. Now, I completely believe that it would probably take 60 minutes or less to do the same work at home, but I think you will have to be in really good contact w/the teachers to make sure you are covering the correct 30 minutes kwim?

Additionally, how does the school/principal/teacher/etc... feel about this situation? Are they open and accomidating or are they hoping you will enroll full time OR homeschool full time. It is the rare school district, indeed, that will allow what you are attempting.

Is DS learning? Does he feel behind? Too far ahead? Ostracized because he goes home early? I really don't have a solution here, just trying to help you think it through and am, myself, intrigued by the concept of partial enrollment.

I hope this week goes better for you and DS!

Kay

#7 of 7 Old 08-29-2004, 09:41 PM

I don't have any advice, but wanted to give you lots of supportive

What happened last year that was difficult? Maybe we can help you figure out a style more fitting to you and your son?

I've often wished we could do partial enrollment, but NY does not allow it at all

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page