Is this wrong? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-02-2004, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every night, I ask my dd to empty out her bookbag and bring me everything she needs to get done. I did the same thing tonight. I didn't see any homework, so I asked her 3 times about it. Each time she told me that she didn't have anything she needed to do tonight. So, tonight when I put the kids to bed, Caylynn doesn't want to go to sleep, and keeps complaining about this and that. Then after being in bed for 30 minutes or so, she says "Oh I need to read this book for school." I told her she will have to wait and do it in the morning, because it is bedtime now and I asked her 3 times if she had work to do and she said no. Was that wrong? I will let her read it in the morning before she gets on the bus, but I don't think she should be allowed to get back up to read it considerring the circumstances, and I feel like allowing her to get up would be allowing her to do exactly what she wants, and IMO teach her that it is okay to put things off until bedtime because she would rather be playing. I feel kind of bad because she started crying when I told her that she would have to wait till morning to read the book, so I want to know, was I wrong? Oh, and FTR I will be checking her bookbag myself from now on.
#2 of 6 Old 09-02-2004, 10:29 PM

I think you dd the right thing.
#3 of 6 Old 09-02-2004, 10:52 PM

I would not have allowed her back up. I would allow her to read it in the am.

Besides checking bookbags, I have found that a regularly scheduled 'Study Time' helps immensely with a lot of homework problems like forgottened assignments and homework avoidance. EVERYONE in the family, down to the 3 yo, has to participate whether they have homework or not. Kids with homework know that they have a parent's attention, and aren't missing out on the fun somewhere else in the house. Kids without homework read or color or do workbooks or whatever their interest is at the moment. Papers are read and signed, lunchboxes unpacked, bookbags emptied. Sometimes it is hard to commit the time and energy, but I always regret it when we skip Study Time.
#4 of 6 Old 09-03-2004, 01:10 PM

Sounds like staying in bed was a natural consequence to me.
#5 of 6 Old 09-03-2004, 10:54 PM

I might have approached it differently, though probably with the same plan in the back of my head.

I probably would have had a chat with my kid. I'd have asked him why he told me earlier that he had no work to do. I'd point out that it was *really* time to be going to sleep, and I'd ask him if he could suggest a plan for getting the work done and getting to sleep on time. He would probably either suggest reading it in bed with his bedside lamp, or reading it in the AM, or explaining to his teacher that he would be doing it late. But whatever plan we came up with, it would go over better if he was a part of disscussing the problem and developing the solution, and then he would be more likely to fall asleep gently and restfully instead of going to sleep very upset and anxious.
#6 of 6 Old 09-06-2004, 10:50 PM

I think you did the right thing.

I agree having a set study time/quite time might help also.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page