help deciding which class to put dd in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2004, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dd has been going to this school for 1.5yrs. It's run by a church and offers 1-3 day/week for 4.5hrs. I've always done 2 days though almost all do 3. I want to save $ plus I like the ability to make-up a day.
My dd just turned 4 yr last month. School starts this Tuesday. There are only 4 classes in this school, a 12m-24m, 24m-30m, 3-4, 4-5. Most classes have 6-9 children. My dd was put in the 3-4 class where 1/2 the kids will do K next year. Her bestfriend's, whom just started the school this year, parents called the school this weekend to move to the 4-5 class (he's 4.5yrs) and I wondering if I should, too. dd was in class with 2 of the 3 yr children last year and likes them alot. Problem is my dd is starting to write and learn letters (mostly her own doing) and last year nothing taught reguarding letters. While the teacher states that both class will be doing the same lessons, I feel dd might get more out of it with the older children around.
Any opinions out there about kids and learning with different agemates? dd is an only, meets a friend at the playground once a week, and does library time once a week. She really needs preschool for a social outlet but I would also like to see some learning.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2004, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With your DD being an only, I would actually probably leave her in the younger class. Not because she is less socially mature, but because it might be nice for her to get to be the big one/leader sometimes. For DD, I usually put her in with kids older than herself and for DS I would really like him to get some exposure to kids younger than himself (though it's not happening right now for a variety of reasons).

But, you know your DD best. My DD really takes off when she sees someone close to her age/size doing something (it is how she learned to walk, read & swim--- she realized, hey they're doing it, I could too) and took off.

How does DD feel about this? You mentioned she had two friends in her class. Would she want to leave them? Is she at the same basic skill level as the other children in her current class.

Oh, when DD was in preschool, she was on the older side and I really liked it BECAUSE the older the kids (girls esp ) the more gender role obessessed they seem to be and the more "mean" for girls ("I won't be your friend" behavior). JMO

Old 09-06-2004, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
tiredx2- thanks for replying. I feel like a weenie worrying over an issue that probably won't matter. I think it has to do with my fear of not putting her in a $chool like many in this area.
Her bestfriend's parents haven't heard from the school yet so I'm not sure where he will be. I'm leaning towards leaving her in the younger class. You are right about the meanness of older girls (generalization, I know). I heard a 6yr talk about the different groups girlie-girls vs. nature girls. Growing up I didn't have to deal with "groups" until jr. high.
Worse comes to worse, I'll move dd during the winter break if I feel the other class is "learning" more. As for dd, she could care less. She's just happy to get away from boring old mom and can play with anyone.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

User Tag List