Waldorf School? - Mothering Forums
Learning at School > Waldorf School?
Carmen's Avatar Carmen 09:07 AM 09-06-2004
Do any of you have experience with your children going to a Waldorf school? I am about to enroll my 9 year old / 4th grade son in one and have been doing alot of research on the internet. I have found lots of great stuff that reinforces my feeling that I am philosophically in line with this approach, but I've also found some scary stuff!!!

saintmom's Avatar saintmom 09:21 AM 09-06-2004
Every school is different.Go visit!iI use alot of waldorf methodology in hs.The negative stuff I've read on the web started from the debate over charter schools in calif.Because they have a spiritual base some groups are saying thats public money funding religious schools.Wish I had a waldorf school nearby and the dollars to send them.
Carmen's Avatar Carmen 09:26 AM 09-06-2004
I'm lucky as there is one the next town over. There seem to be a lot of them here in Switzerland. My son has been in the local Swiss German public school for 3 years and is now in 4th grade there. He had the same teacher for 1st thru 3rd grades and I'd hoped things would be different for him this year, but it's not so we've decided to send him to the Steiner school. Two classmates of his changed to there already last Spring and this Fall, so he won't be the only "new" one.

We go Wednesday to meet with the teacher. It will definately cost us, so I am teaching English to kids now to offset the financial change. My husband is a teacher in our local international school (our boys will go there from Middle School) and we are VERY excited about this for Sam. But I've come across some really negative site on the net which scared me...
Deborah's Avatar Deborah 10:14 AM 09-06-2004
Hi,

I went to a waldorf school as a teenager, my brother and sister went for elementary school, my daughter did 13 years at two schools (nursery through 7th and 10th-12th) and is currently running a waldorf style daycare program out of her home. My aunt taught handwork at two or three schools. My granddaughter is just starting her second year of waldorf nursery school here in Vermont. I've also worked as an administrator at a large school in Chicago. My experiences have been pretty positive, especially as compared to my time in various public schools.

For some answers to the negative sites go to:

http://www.waldorfanswers.org

Waldorf schools vary a lot and so do individual teachers, so you should ask questions and look around critically.

Good luck and I hope everything goes beautifully.

Nana
megangaia's Avatar megangaia 12:06 PM 09-06-2004
Hi there! My 8yo dd has been attending Waldorf for the past four years, and we're really happy with her school. Those websites seem over the edge, I don't give them much attention. Take them with a grain of salt. I hope you enjoy your school. Waldorf is the closest type of education to our philosophy, and our school has education nights to help guide new parents to Steiner's approach. We also have a small school library. Rahima Baldwin's "You are your Child's First Teacher" is a great layman's guide to some Waldorf ways.

Good luck!
Rhonwyn's Avatar Rhonwyn 01:13 PM 09-06-2004
We have a child going into 3rd grade and a child going into 1st grade at the local Waldorf school. We have had a very good experience and love our school. It is however, all about the teacher. If you have a good fit and a good teacher, it is wonderful. We have been extremely fortunate in the teachers for our children.

Good luck! I would take the waldorf critics site with a grain of salt. It is run by 2 people who really have an axe to grind and they aren't very careful with their facts. I think in any school system you will find people who love it and people for whom it didn't work.
Up