DD is unhappy at school - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-14-2004, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is soooo unhappy at school this year. She truely loved it for the last year and a half that she went. I am sooo happy to go back to unschooling but i do not want to make her think that I think it is okay for her to quit so easily. wwyd-
wait until christmas break is what i am suggesting now.
#2 of 5 Old 09-14-2004, 08:57 PM

If you want to homeschool her (and thing it is the right thing) and she wants to be homeschooled (and think it is the right thing), you could also be sending her the message:

Once you commit to a course of action, even if it is wrong, you have to stick with it. You can never learn, change, or grow.

I'd pull her if you all are miserable.

#3 of 5 Old 09-14-2004, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For what it's worth (all children are different) my ds had a miserable year last year. We worked hard on helping him to learn ways of coping with a teacher that really was pretty sub-standard and a little odd--(his instincts were right on!) We never let on to him that we thought she was a bad teacher, even though we did, but helped him figure out ways to supplement his learning at home, deal with her peculiarities, etc. It felt very hard for all of us at the time.

Now, this year, he is so appreciative of his new teacher, whom he loves! I think he feels all the more so from experiencing a bad teacher last year. And I think he has learned some lessons about putting up with things you might not like and figuring out how to get something out of it anyway. We did have to have words with the teacher a couple of times when she got out of line, but we tried to keep this separate from him, so he didn't see us as trying to 'bail him out.' This is what worked for us, and I have no idea if it will for you. A school year can feel very long when our children are unhappy!!

#4 of 5 Old 09-15-2004, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.
She has an excellent teacher- I think the problem is that she is in a mixed 3rd-4th grade, on the 3rd side, where as the last few years she was on the older side- 1st in a k-1 and 2nd in a 1-2. She was used to being looked up to and now she is a small fry. Also this year the teacher expects a lot of work from the kids........
I think I have a idea now that this is what the problem is but she is so vague about things
#5 of 5 Old 09-20-2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Once you commit to a course of action, even if it is wrong, you have to stick with it. You can never learn, change, or grow.
IMO this is not the message she's sending her dd. She's not making her dd stick there forever, she's saying wait until Xmas. The msg she's sending is that sometimes what we don't like at first we like once we get used to it. Another msg is instead of just quitting when we don't like something, we try to find out what the problem is and see if there's a way to fix the problem before moving onto the next option(homeschooling).

Have you talked to the teacher to see if they have an idea of why she isn't liking school?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page