Anyone's pre-K child test for a gifted program? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2005, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am trying to figure out what to about school next year for dd.

I'm in Chicago and Chicago Public schools actually have decent gifted programs. So I applied to a few and we received a notice for a test for two of them. I'm just curious as to what the test will entail. All they'll say is that it lasts an hour and parents are not allowed in the room.

Anyone's DC had experience with these types of tests?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is currently being tested for our districts pull out program.

Day 1 of testing (supposed to be 2.5 hours, was 4 ) was the ITBS (Iowa Test of Basic Skills) for one grade level ahead (she did the 1st grade test). This is a straight academic achievement test, had basic reading & math.

Next is the CogAT (Cognative Abilities Test (could be apptitude)). That is supposed to be "funner"-- more of an IQ test.

At the pre-K age it (and for only an hour) it is likely to be basic color/shape/letter recognition and maybe a few larger motor skills (walking on a line, skipping type stuff)

Do you know what percentage of children they are looking to identify (10, 5, 3, 1 are common)? That also narrows it down a bit to what they will be looking for.

There is a "Parents of Gifted Children" support thread on the Special Needs board:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=233945

Good luck & Have Fun!!! We've been homeschooling but are considering "real" school for next year if DD is interested.

User Tag List