Waldorf, Steiner, Montessori, Decroly, Freinet & co. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2005, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to hear you personal experiences with these schools (Steiner, Waldorf, Decroly etc).

We have a Steiner school near where we live and I find the concept very appealing.

On the net however I have read that some Steiner schools in Germany were openly anti-semitic and that in lessons they taught about Atlantis as if it had really existed. (Maybe it really has, but this remains yet to be proven my archeological/geological finds. So don't teach it as a fact. No harm in discussing a myth, though.)

Am curious to see your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 03:36 PM

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:33 PM

Hmmm... I'm an American living in Germany and I haven't heard of this. If anything, they err on the side of caution regarding anything anti-semitic here. And the Atlantis thing... wondering where you're hearing this... Can you give references? Are they reliable? Hmmmm. I'm just curious because people here tend to be critical thinkers that are extremely logical and straight-forward, although I've never heard of these "Steiner" schools.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:40 AM

moving this to the Learning at School forum!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
On the net however I have read that some Steiner schools in Germany were openly anti-semitic and that in lessons they taught about Atlantis as if it had really existed.
I can't comment on what some schools (or some teachers) have done. I have one daughter who is a waldorf 1-8 graduate, a second finishing eighth grade this year, and a third in fifth grade. We (we're not Jewish) certainly haven't seen anything that looks anything like anti-semitism; much of third grade (where curriculum includes Old Testament stories) involves including Jewish traditions and festivals, including a Passover seder that we have to hold offsite because of the number of persons attending.

Ditto with Atlantis; neither of the older two ever had it in their lessons. The third is in fifth grade now, so if it were to show up, it would be this year sometime. If it does, I will asking about it, you can be sure.

Fifth grade is not learning history as such, but myths and cultural traditions (greek gods, ancient India, etc.). History begins with Rome in sixth grade.

David
Old 02-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canndw
I can't comment on what some schools (or some teachers) have done. I have one daughter who is a waldorf 1-8 graduate, a second finishing eighth grade this year, and a third in fifth grade. We (we're not Jewish) certainly haven't seen anything that looks anything like anti-semitism; much of third grade (where curriculum includes Old Testament stories) involves including Jewish traditions and festivals, including a Passover seder that we have to hold offsite because of the number of persons attending.

Ditto with Atlantis; neither of the older two ever had it in their lessons. The third is in fifth grade now, so if it were to show up, it would be this year sometime. If it does, I will asking about it, you can be sure.

Fifth grade is not learning history as such, but myths and cultural traditions (greek gods, ancient India, etc.). History begins with Rome in sixth grade.

David

I second David's experience. My ds is in 3rd grade and celebrates Shabat (can't spell) every Friday afternoon. There is also a whole folder on comparisons. I would look through that if I were you.

I haven't heard a thing about Atlantis except for what people say on thes board. It may get covered in 5th grade when they are studying the Greeks. I think Plato was a big believer in Atlantis. As David says, history really begins in 6th grade. Much is myth before that, not that there aren't universal truths to be found in myths.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hi ladygodiva. Are you curious mostly about Waldorf or these others as well? As Rhonwyn said we have little subforums that can provide a lot of insight into these approaches. I have to admit I haven't heard of Decroly. What is that like?

User Tag List