Playground Grants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2005, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter goes to a great one room public school. The playground is old and in need of updating. I volunteered to check into grants to help pay for the new playground. I started looking online and haven't had much luck. Has anyone else worked on a grant for their school or done fundraising on a large scale? We need around $15000. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,
AngieB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2005, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I know one of the things our school did was a direct appeal letter to parents. Many parents prefer that instead of having to buy popcorn or wrapping paper. I wasn't directly involved in the fundraising, so I'd have to check to see what else they did.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:34 AM

In the district I live in, my neighbor began a Beautification Committee--they started I guess by outlining things they thought would be necessary to make the school better, then put up a big sign like a thermometer, with the top being the money they needed to come up with. Then they held fundraisers, with the biggest one having become a yearly concert at the start of the year--the principal plays guitar, some local bands play for free--there is a bake sale, other foods are sold, etc. It raises tons of money each year. They have planted flowers, built walkways, bought four new playground sets--one for each playground with two sets on the primary playground, painted the school, etc. It became so popular, that the city passed a bond issue last election to assist the district with beautifying the entire district. It has made such a difference! Lots and lots of work, and I'm sure many private donations. Each year people can buy bricks for new brickwork that have names and phrases etched into them. It is sooo cool! I'm sorry I don't have grant links, but this one woman made such a huge difference in our entire district, that I just wanted to say it can be done!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:19 PM

At the school where my niece and nephew go parents chipped in some through fundraisers but they also went to some of the bigger oil companies for donations.

At the schools in this town all of the school equipment has been upgraded because it was old. This started the year before my dd went to school and they finished it this past summer(she's in grade 1). The only upgraded through the summer. The school did not pay for it, none of the schools did. I am pretty sure that they got funding from the city and possibly through the Saskatchewan Lotteries(they do recreational funding), maybe some from the school board.

now there are playgrounds here which are in desparate need of upgrading and I believe the city is putting the funding up for those. Some of them still have merry go rounds which were outlawed many moons ago, the playground equpiment is 30some odd years old.

User Tag List