"Sick" policy confusion, ARGH! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-09-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, this is mainly just a vent, but I'm curious about the policies at other schools too.

Here's the story. Yesterday afternoon, the school nurse at ds's preschool called and told me he vomitted, please come get him. Fine, no problem. Recalling daycare policies from my WOH days, I ask "this means he needs to stay home tomorrow too, right?" The nurse specifically said "Just see how he's feeling. If he feels ok, and has no fever, he's fine to come back to school" Good deal.

So, last night and this morning, he's acting totally normal, not sick at all. Didn't vomit again, no other signs of tummy distress, he ate normally, no fever, etc. I suspect he just coughed too hard and gagged yesterday, he has a pretty sensitive gag reflex. Everything is looking good, he's excited to leave for school this morning, and off we go.

His afternoon teacher sees him, and gets darn near hysterical on me "He threw up yesterday! He's not supposed to be here today! He can't be here!" Wait......what? The nurse said he could, did the policy change overnight? She runs to get the nurse, who says, yeah, sure, let me take him to my office and take his temp, and if he doesn't have a fever, it's fine! The teacher was still peeved, I tell ya. Ranting about how she doesn't have any more sick days, she can't get sick, blah blah blah. I totally get that. But here's the thing, ds isn't actually sick! Well, ok, he's got a runny nose, but if every kid that had a runny nose had to stay home from school, the place would be darn near empty from October til April. (Meanwhile, she probably should have taken those sick days a little sooner, she's sent the flu home to us TWICE now........)

If there was a clear policy of "keep the child home for 24 hours after they vomit", I'd have been totally ok with that. I'm just annoyed that noone seems to know if that's the official policy or not!
#2 of 6 Old 03-09-2005, 01:44 PM

A friend worked for a Kindercare who fired her for staying home with the flu. This friend worked with INFANTS none the less! She was told "We come in sick, so should you!"

Does the school have a written policy. My DD is in public grade school, there policy is so contradictory. Anti vax mamas like me get a kick out of it as if yo uget a supposedly vaccine preventable disease, you usually don't even need a Doctors note to return to school! Here is a quote:

Quote:
X Township Schools developed policies regarding communicable diseases for the protection of the children and their families and to prevent the spread of contagious diseases. These policies include the following diseases:

Chicken Pox: The child should be excluded from school until 7 days after the onset of the rash. All crust and scabs need not have fallen off. However, if large scabs are on hands or face, the child should stay home until these are healed to prevent infection.

Measles: The child should stay home until after the disappearance of the rash.

German Measles: The child should stay home for four days.

Mumps: The child should stay home until swelling of the salivary glands is completely gone, which usually takes seven to ten days.

Pediculosis (head lice): The child should stay home until treatment has been started with an insecticide and nits removed. Upon returning to school the child will be examined by the school nurse to insure that the problem is cleared up.

Influenza: The child should stay home until the temperature is normal.

Poison Ivy: The child is not excluded from school unless there is considerable seepage or the child is too uncomfortable.

A doctor’s certificate is not necessary for the above when a child returns to school. If there are any questions about the child’s return to school, please check with the school nurse.

However, for the following diseases, a certificate from a doctor will be necessary for readmission:

Scarlet Fever
Impetigo
Diphtheria
Streptococcal Sore Throat
Ringworm
Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye)

With scarlet fever and streptococcal, medication for other children in the family will be necessary in order to remain in school. Our school doctor also establishes the time periods for the remaining conditions and the school nurse will inform you if the need arises. Please inform the school nurse of any communicable disease your child has as well as any additional immunizations.
#3 of 6 Old 03-09-2005, 03:15 PM

My dd's playschool doesn't have a sick kid policy. The kids are there for 2 hours, if they are 3 it is one day a week if they are 4 it is 2 days a week. I have sent my oldest there when she threw up in the morning. She was acting fine other than the throwing up, it was also her special day where she got to be the star of the day and take snack, serve it, take show and tell. My younger dd I sent to school the day after she threw up. She wasn't feeling completely 100% but it was the day of their Xmas concert.

At the public school they would like for kids with illnesses or colds to stay home until they are feeling better. It is not official school policy and honestly I laugh at it. If my kid has a cold with a runny nose they are not staying home. If they are consistently throwing up, laying around and doing nothing because they feel that bad then they stay home.
#4 of 6 Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
At the public school they would like for kids with illnesses or colds to stay home until they are feeling better. It is not official school policy and honestly I laugh at it. If my kid has a cold with a runny nose they are not staying home. If they are consistently throwing up, laying around and doing nothing because they feel that bad then they stay home.
Yeah, I agree, you have to go with how sick they are ACTING, not just what the symptoms are! If ds was acting sick, I'd have kept him home without a second thought, but he was running around, begging for his coat and backpack! LOL

Meanwhile, I can't find a handbook type thing, I know we must've got one, just don't know where we put it! But I did find a paper they sent home at the beginning of cold season which says you need to keep them home if they are vomitting, but it doesn't specify a time limit. The only time mentioned was 24 hours fever free without meds. And when I took him in this morning, it was 20 hours since he threw up anyway, so I definitely think it was ok, and if they want the kids gone for the full 24 hours, they need to put it in writing!!
#5 of 6 Old 03-09-2005, 08:29 PM

24 hours after a fever has broke is the only policy our PS has. If they vomited with no temp, it wouldn't matter, it could've been ANYTHING after all...like you said, coughing too hard.
#6 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I just had to update this. He was fine the day I wrote the OP, then the next day, he vomitted again, at the same time of day. It turned out, they were having him do his therapuetic listening, while in a swing, directly after lunch. DUUUUUUH! Therapuetic listening is listening to specially modulated music, and it kind of "resets" the sensory system. So basically, they put him on sensory overload right after he eats, and wonder why he vomits........OY!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page