Why wouldn't a child get in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-21-2005, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are almost decided to send Elijah to school this fall but we are honestly only considering one school, a private Christian school with only 125 students, because it most closely fits what we are looking for. We have to have an application in by April 8 and then there are interviews and other stuff. I'm not going to change anything about ourselves, I'm just interested - what would make a child not get in? I just don't understand how they can say yes to one and no to another and I don't understand what they would base it on? Of course they have to be discriminating to keep the class size down but I have no idea how they decide.

Side note - I am still completely terrified at the idea of sending him to school. He's my baby! It would be 2 full days a week (they have to do it like that because Junior K and Senior K have the same teacher so Junior K is Tues. and Thurs. and Senior K is Mon, Wed., Fri.) I can't imagine my baby being away from me for an entire day! We've talked with him about it and while he thinks school sounds fun he really doesn't want to be away from me. I don't know what to do!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having worked in a few private schools, I can only tell you what I know. Some only take gifted kids, based on test scores. Even then, they might have too many applicants so they might start with siblings of existing students. I am not sure what religious schools do but I imagine they might prefer people who practice their religion. No matter what, the school should have a criteria they can tell you about in answer to this question. It should always be clear to parents because nowadays an unclear acceptance policy can make people very angry, even threatening lawsuits. So, I would think a school would be very clear no who they accept and why.
#3 of 6 Old 03-21-2005, 11:03 PM

You should be able to ask.

Some small private schools do not accept children they feel will have behavioral or learning problems (because they do not have the resources to help the child).

Some have sibling/religous affiliation preference.

Some will try to gender balance their classes.

Basically *anything* can be a deciding factor, but most (if not all) schools will tell you their policies if you ask.

#4 of 6 Old 03-23-2005, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was a little surprised by some of the questions we were asked while applying at a Friends school. Most of it seemed geared toward double checking the developmental assessment.

Questions included:

Was the birth normal?

Did our child have any health problems, operations, or medications?

What type of punishments did we use? (Friends are non-violent so I imagine spankers might not fit in with the philosophy of treating children respectfully)

What types of activities does child enjoy?

Why do you want to send child here?

Why should we want your child?

Can you afford the tuition for next year because financial aid isn't available for preK?

Ds was given a developmental assessment by one of their teachers in a room across the hall from us while we had a parent interview. The door was open so I could see ds (and him me were he to have looked in the right direction). This took about about 50-60 minutes. I was worried my ds would want me to stay in the room with him the whole time and that the school would think he wasn't mature enough to start school, based on that. So I was impressed he only came looking for me once. I walked him back and left after a minute to return to the parent interview. Since they had a rolling admission, it was important to apply early while they still had plenty of spaces. Your school has one deadline so they will be able to pick and choose among all the applicants.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 6 Old 03-24-2005, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just remembered another question was what responsibilities does child assume for oneself (i.e. dressing self, using the toilet by oneself).

My answer to that was he likes to pour his own drinks and can urinate by himself if he is wearing elastic waist pants.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 6 Old 03-25-2005, 11:53 PM

additonal factors around here I've heard of in school admission:

racial or ethnic balance - minorities would get preference
age - span of birthdays so class is not all "younger" or "older"
developmentally and behaviorally normal (within an expected range.)
reasonable parent behavior and expectations - a point where they can screen out parents with incompatible priorities or "problem" parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page