Anyone know anything about school vouchers or private school scholarships? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-26-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, as some of you know, my ex-DP and I (though not a couple) still live together, for both financial reasons (I'm a FT nursing student and HSer, ex-DP is a public school teacher w/a decent salary) and so that we can more effectively coparent. Plus me moving back in with my abusive parents is obviously less than optimal for my and DS's mental health.

So....I finish nursing school in August of 2005. Lease runs out in October for the apartment which means we have to be moved out by Sept 27th. We will no longer be cohabitating, and I will have no choice but to work FT or close to FT to rent a new place and support self and ds. Unless I can work every Sat/Sun in place of 3 twelve hour shifts (some hospitals let you do this, and you get paid the same as you would working 3 shifts, but you have to work every weekend) I will no longer be able to HS ds for the time being.

I am NOT sending my son to public school, as I've been to the ones around here and they blow. (not saying all public schools do, but the ones he would attend do) Right now, we do NOT have the money to send ds to private school, but I would really like to. SO......

Does anyone have any information on how I can get one of those government vouchers applied to a private school tuition (most likely not religious, just private, if that matters)? OR, are there any scholarships you can get for private schools for low-income families?

Thanks Everyone,
Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-26-2005, 02:38 PM

what kind of private school? i think religious one have different financial aid systems than the non-religious one. in my own case, when i knew what school i wanted dd at , i went there and inquired about their financial aid. they actually had 3 resourses. and after applying i only pay about one third of the normal tuition. so, first step is to go to the school and ask..........
#3 of 5 Old 03-26-2005, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Jannan,

Is your dd in a religious school? I would prefer to send my ds to a general private school with no religious agenda, but would seriously consider a religious based school as long as the religious teaching was minimum.

There are so many around here, i guess I should start calling and asking around then....

I'm going to go back to HSing when I am able to have another child and stay at home FT (or maybe work once a week or per diem), so even if I could get help for only the 2005-06 school year, that's fine w/me.

kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#4 of 5 Old 03-26-2005, 05:47 PM

Just an FYI, in my area it is already past the deadline to apply for many of the private schools, so you might want to make some calls asap. It sounds like you have a lot to choose from though so hopefully you won't have a problem finding one with openings.
#5 of 5 Old 03-26-2005, 06:02 PM

yeah, you need to get right on it. this is peak financial aid time and many schools have limited amounts of aid. you probably will have to fill out an aid application and make a formal request. if you find a school to apply to ask if you can go ahead and do your financial aid form. good luck

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page