How do you afford preschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-13-2005, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking of putting dd in a part time preschool after the baby is a little older. I'm not sure how we could afford it though.
We do live on a budget and make all our choices accordingly. I'm sure if we took out all the fun stuff we could put together enough money to get her into school. But that doesn't seem logical as I know many people who's kids are in preschool that seem to be on the same restricted budget that we are.

Did you just find a great deal or do you have family that helps with expenses? Do some schools offer reduced or free tuition?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#2 of 7 Old 04-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Banned

We do co-op preschool. It is one, two hour session a week for 1-2.5ers, $40 a month. After 2.5, it ups to two, two hour sessions a week for $80 a month. You have to come to the weekly sessions up to 2.5 age, then you only have to come to one weekly session with your child. Some moms bring little babes in arms with them. Others find babysitting for that period of time. What about a babysitting swap with another mom in the same boat?

There are definitely preschools out there that offer reduced tuition. There are also preschools through the head start program for low income families. I would do a preschool search in your city on the internet and just call and ask them about cost. Or, ask around when you are at local parks.
#3 of 7 Old 04-13-2005, 07:41 PM

Billy goes to Head Start so it is free. There are income guidelines though.
#4 of 7 Old 04-13-2005, 08:31 PM

We also do a co-op.

Next year DS will go to the "3s" which is two days a week, 2.5 hours each time for $62 a month (I go once a week). We did the same w/DD

#5 of 7 Old 04-13-2005, 08:33 PM

i thought the Shrub killed Head Start? No? Why did I think that?
#6 of 7 Old 04-13-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
i thought the Shrub killed Head Start? No? Why did I think that?
i *believe at one point he was talking about implementing the same standards-based accountability on HeadStart as are on the elementary schools with NCLB. i should know this.
#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2005, 09:15 PM

Our public schools have an integrated preschool- 1/2 delayed kids, 1/2 typical kids. It's free for the delayed kids starting at 3yo. For typical kids, they can enroll at 4yo and its 150/mo for 3 - 2.5hr days or 260/mo for 5 days. I didn't realize it was there until it was past the enrollment date for dd- so it was already full. Ds1 is in the autism preschool, though, which is separate from the integrated preschool.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page