What do your kids learn about Columbus and Thanksgiving? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-28-2002, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was in elementary school I learned that Columbus discovered America and that the Pilgrims and the Indians were best friends and they got together and had a nice Thanksgiving.

Is that what kids learn today?

In high school I learned that Columbus didn't really discover America, but it wasn't until college that I learned exactly what went on...(there is a thread about it in Activism)...
#2 of 9 Old 11-28-2002, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greaseball, I will check with my kids and get back to you, but I just had to post and ask you the meaning of your signature!
#3 of 9 Old 11-29-2002, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's one of a long list of rules for female teachers written in 1915. Other rules are don't get married, don't dye your hair, stuff like that.

I never knew, however, that ice cream stores were once dens of iniquity.
#4 of 9 Old 11-29-2002, 08:33 PM

That's funny, Greaseball!

My first grader, apparently, has forgotten everything she learned about Columbus this year.

My fifth grader told me that he was taught this year that the tribe of "Indians" that Columbus first met were completely wiped out within 10 years. It sounds like his teacher put heavy emphasis on the slaughter of native Americans.
#5 of 9 Old 12-06-2002, 11:34 AM

My dd is in 3rd grade and they didn't learn much about Columbus at all,thank goodness. They did a whole unit on Native American cultures that was informative but sort of glossed over the whole genocide end of things.It's one of those areas we supplement at home through discussions and reading,so she is aware of the real deal on these sorts of things.The key to public education is staying on top of what they're telling your kids,I think.That way you can help them find other points of view and teach them to learn more.
#6 of 9 Old 12-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Banned

I don't know where I read this, but it was somewhere on the Net....

"Thanksgiving, or, as it is known in my family, Kill-All-The-Indians-with-Smallpox Day."

Maeve repeated this to my mother once and my mother nearly died.
#7 of 9 Old 12-09-2002, 12:56 PM
dlb

Location: between the silence of the mountains, and the crashing of the sea....
ot-- Greaseball, my husband is an icecream salesman, does that maybe make him a bad boy?

My third son (8) calls Columbus "that dude who really didn't really discover America." Must have learned that at school, I never brought it up.

dlb
#8 of 9 Old 12-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Banned

My dd is Anishinaabe (Native American), and was taught that she is not a REAL indian because she does not live in a teepee and does not wear feathers in her hair. :
#9 of 9 Old 12-11-2002, 10:54 PM

Well, my girl is in an alternative school where we the parents are expected to help with lessons.

So I marched in with my People's History book and told the nice little kids about how Columbus loved native women and babies and slavery and robbery......

Anyway, I think that the 'nice little explorer" stuff is still really prevalent, but more and more schools are open to some other views and education.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page