Kids are not allowed to use the bathroom when they need to - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 08-13-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
I know for a fact that many teachers themselves suffer from bladder, bowel, and kidney problems due to "waiting" excessively long times...

...as a substitute teacher, many times I was called in the middle of the day to stand in for a teacher who had an "emergency" to take care of at the doctor's office...

That may explain alot of reasons why some teachers are so crabby...!

Does explain some of the problems with the administrations...'the fish sticks from the head down' or something like that...

I heard about that too. And it seems far to common to be so overlooked by the school admins. I have never heard about something like this until now. When I went to school even the teachers took the time to go to the bathroom during class. It wasn't an issue at all and the kids didn't tear up the classroom in the 5 minutes the teacher was gone either. I wonder how this could get so out of control seeing how much control they are trying to put on it...

And it's "The fish stinks from the head down..."
#32 of 60 Old 08-13-2005, 11:45 AM

My mom had the doc write me a letter so I could pee in high school. The special letter and the special permission was HUMILIATING. If there is any way to fight the policy, not just fight for your own child, I would encourage you to consider it. But I totally understand not fighting as well since it would last longer than you would be there. Ugh.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#33 of 60 Old 08-13-2005, 08:22 PM

I am feeling sorry for my fellow teachers here, too! Our middle school has 5 minute passing periods which doesn't sound like much but is a lot of time. Most kids get to their class with a lot of time to spare. Many teachers at my school don't let kids go to the bathroom because many kids take advantage of this time. We have had kids having sex, doing drugs, drinking, planning times to meet up with a friend from another class, etc. and vandalism. Besides that, I only have 44 minutes per period with the kids and that is not enough time . When I get together with my team of teachers, we often find the kid who always wants to go during my class is the same kid who always goes during art, during science, etc. We have two kids with medical kidney/bladder issues and I am of course not talking about these kids. During passing periods kids start coming in and there is several minutes of request for bathroom(asking to miss the first few minutes of class), nurse, counselor, talk to another teacher, etc. Some teachers tell their classes that anyone can go, but then they owe 1 or 2 minutes at the end of the class for their missed time. It practically stops all bathroom trips. Many kids ask to go for water or BR breaks when they are bored or not understanding the material. It is hard to know who really has to go and who doesn't and even then I wouldn't be comfortable telling some kids they could go and others that they couldn/t. I think there is no easy solution. Hopefully the passing periods are long enough at your school. I expect that the teachers have some legitimate concerns, and our not all small minded power mongers!
#34 of 60 Old 08-14-2005, 06:47 AM

When I was in high school I found that the male teachers would give girls a br pass without comment but if a boy asked they always questioned them. I think the were afraid of what the answer might be if they asked the girls. :LOL

The female teachers however were not as forgiving. I was actually transfered out of one English class my senior year because this teacher decided that if I wanted to go the bathroom I would have to serve detention. I told her I would not, she insisted I would, so I said fine, I don't have to go the bathroom, i am sick I am going to the office to check out. And I did! I was in a different class by the end of the week.
#35 of 60 Old 08-16-2005, 03:28 PM

I used to be a high school teacher and I am a mom... so I see both sides of this problem. Honestly, I think that the best solution is just to have short transition periods, and if someone has to go then they have to ask. The place I worked kids had about a minute between classes, but sometimes it took them 20 seconds to get to my room from another and they just put their stuff down and said, hey, I'm here, just going to the bathroom. I never had a problem with that, even if they didn't get back before the late buzzer. It was an all-girls school, so we didn't deal with sex in the bathroom (that I know of)... but we did deal with drugs and drinking. It can be a problem, but I think there are other ways to deal with it besides making everyone wait till lunch time.

As a mom of a brand new Kindergartener, I sure as heck hope they don't make my son wait, but he's only 5. 5, 6 , 7 ... all of those ages are a little different than 15. Yet, I think we have to give our children some credit. How many of us have been on the highway when our five year olds, or three year olds, have said, mom, I have to pee? Ok, well, great, the next exit is 10 minutes away, your going to have to hold it, just for a minute. I know kids can't concentrate if they really, really have to go to the bathroom, but by the same token its not always easy to have one kid after another constantly leaving the room. Honestly, the best solution is to let them go between classes if they need to and then, if they really have to go during class, they need to be able to, just not make a habit of it. For younger grades, bathroom breaks need to be built in.
#36 of 60 Old 08-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
5 hours? I'm lucky if I can make it though a whole movie without having to pee! I would be raising heck. How much time do they have between classes? I remember we had 5 minutes which was enough time to get to the bathroom and to the next class. I would carry my books for the morning so I could skip going to the locker every hour and go pee instead.

Seriously?
#37 of 60 Old 08-19-2005, 09:20 AM

//
#38 of 60 Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04
in one middle school in 1980 the teacher required students requesting to use the bathroom to put a TOILET SEAT around their necks and carry a roll of toilet paper in order to use the bathroom.

Quote:
If those sorts of things happened to an adult they would be able to press charges
You are SO RIGHT!

In our rulebook for the school it states that we cannot press charges against teachers or the school. They are immune. YEAH RIGHT...
#39 of 60 Old 08-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Banned

This is the biggest bunch of BS. I can't stand this kind of thing; do you ever stop to consider how ADULTS wouldn't be expected to put up with such bizarre policies???? I'm so mad, I'm spitting nails over here.
#40 of 60 Old 08-19-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon

You are SO RIGHT!

In our rulebook for the school it states that we cannot press charges against teachers or the school. They are immune. YEAH RIGHT...

That can't be. So by that thinking they can molest your kid and get away with it. No way am I going to put DD in pub school. They did the same bathroom stuff to me as a kid. It was awful when I got AF. I would double up pads and still leak sometimes. The school said I should learn to use a tampon. What 12 year old girl wants to use a tampon. It was humiliating.
#41 of 60 Old 08-19-2005, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix
This is the biggest bunch of BS. I can't stand this kind of thing; do you ever stop to consider how ADULTS wouldn't be expected to put up with such bizarre policies???? I'm so mad, I'm spitting nails over here.
Exactly. I have never been in a work place (if part of school is preparing for the real adult world) where adults couldn't get up from their desk and wander around as much as they wanted. I've never seen an adult have to ask, in front of her co-workers, to use the bathroom and have the possibility of receiving no as an answer. Most work environments include walking around, talking to co-workers during work hours, getting coffee, going out for a smoke or break, going to the bathroom etc and rarely is any of this scheduled. Adults would refuse most of the limitations put on kids in school in their own work environment.

I guess my main question to the school would be: so what? So what if there are kids who leave repeatedly during class and the teacher knows they aren't really using the bathroom? Isn't it the kids' responsibility to keep up with their work? Provided bathrooms aren't getting trashed (and if they were than those kids could have different bathroom restrictions) what does it matter if a kid chooses to wander out of the class? It's up to the kid to ensure she or he knows his or her stuff for tests. If a kid is getting high in the bathroom (not where I would chose - too risky) than that kid should face the consequences, but not all the other kids.

I guess I jsut think most of the rules are fear based and created in a society which doesn't trust adolescents. Which is too bad, because at age of 18 they are expected to be responsible and trusted adults but have no previous experience or opportunities in either of those things.

I was lucky enough to have teachers who were really laid back in school and students could come and go as they pleased and it didn't interupt the class or the teacher because it was done quietly. Having students putting up hands throughout class to ask to be excused disrupts the flow of the lecture or class discussion more than kids just getting up and respectfully and quietly walking out and then in again.

Maybe that could be mentioned to the teacher?
#42 of 60 Old 08-19-2005, 03:33 PM

well, it isn't exactly like a work place. I can't fire them for being off task and spending all their time in the bathroom. I think that when most teachers get out of their creditial program they are filled with idealism and generally start out with lax bathroom rules. They often get burned by this policy by students taking advantage of the situation. I generally start out the year with lax rules but end up tightening them. They are still children and I feel their education is my responisiblity. As a parent, of course I don't want my child to wet his pants, but I also don't want him wandering the halls just because he feels like it. Students here have 7 classes of 45 minutes each. When my team gets together, we often find many students are using the bathroom daily in all of our classes! Take 5-8 minutes out of each class every day and that adds up! Our bathrooms here are constantly trashed, we find empty liquor bottles (stashed in bushes before school, I guess), cough syrup, hair products, feces smeared walls, and twice in two years students have been caught having sex in the brs. It is sad. Also, when students get in trouble when I've let them leave the room, I hear about it and my judgement is questioned. A small group of students are blowing it for everyone, but I am not always sure who is doing it and who isn't. I can't let the "good" kids wander out when they want and the "bad" kids have to ask my permission. I want to have rules that are consistant, not based on my perception of a child.
#43 of 60 Old 08-19-2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor
well, it isn't exactly like a work place. I can't fire them for being off task and spending all their time in the bathroom.
Yes, but if because said student is never in class she or he does poorly in class you can grade him or her poorly. If excessive bathroom use means missing key information and fail the requiresd tests than they don't pass the class. But if they are on top of the information than they surely can handle the amount they're leaving the class.

Quote:
I think that when most teachers get out of their creditial program they are filled with idealism and generally start out with lax bathroom rules. They often get burned by this policy by students taking advantage of the situation.
My experience in both working and teaching in schools and being a student has always been that the veteran teachers, particularly in high school, are the ones who are the most laid back. They've proven themselves in teaching (good or bad) and they've come to realize that most of the battles are about control and not education.

Quote:
When my team gets together, we often find many students are using the bathroom daily in all of our classes! Take 5-8 minutes out of each class every day and that adds up!
It does add up, but if the students doing this are keeping up with the class requirements than their education isn't the issue. If they can handle their work and frequent bathroom breaks than there shouldn't be an issue with their leaving.

Quote:
Our bathrooms here are constantly trashed, we find empty liquor bottles (stashed in bushes before school, I guess), cough syrup, hair products, feces smeared walls, and twice in two years students have been caught having sex in the brs. It is sad. Also, when students get in trouble when I've let them leave the room, I hear about it and my judgement is questioned. A small group of students are blowing it for everyone, but I am not always sure who is doing it and who isn't. I can't let the "good" kids wander out when they want and the "bad" kids have to ask my permission. I want to have rules that are consistant, not based on my perception of a child.
But you do know who are causing disruptions for other classes or in the bathrooms when they are caught. I wouldn't worry about my own judgement being called into question - the focus then should be on the student's behaviour.

If the bathrooms are being trashed then maybe the custodial staff could check on them more frequently and when someone is caught wrecking a bathroom that student should be supervised in cleaning it. I didn't suggest there are good or bad students or that anyone should be having to ask permission but those that are caught being destructive or getting high have consequences for that. Perceptions wouldn't need to be enetered into it.

As for sex in the bathrooms...so they have sex under the bleachers? Or in cars in the parking lots? Or in the custodian's closet? Or on the stage/behind the curtains in the theatre? Kids will have sex at school if they want, but it will still be the minority of kids so I guess I don't know why two incidents in a two year span (that's really miniscule) would penalize the rest of the students from accessing the bathroom or the drink fountain or taking a break from the class as they desire or need.

The tweens and teens (particularly boys) I know are so sensitive to not being trusted and to being judged by the adults around them for behaviours that are in the minority so I guess I just don't get why schools keep feeding the us against them atmosphere. Studies have shown again and again the more trust and respect teens are given the more they stand up. The more repressive the environment the more rebellion and pervasive is the attitude of "I don't care."

Simple control over bodily functions and ability to be trusted to take responsibility over their education can go a long way. The more students believe it is the teachers who are responsible for their education the more they'll want out of class, in my experience. They're not being met as respect worthy partners in their own education.

Sorry to use your post so much Flor. It's not about you; your comments were the ones easiest to view while I was writing but I know many teachers have posted and said similar thoughts.
#44 of 60 Old 08-20-2005, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzie'sma
The school said I should learn to use a tampon.

Geez! Talk about controlling other peoples bodies! The thought makes me want to puke!
#45 of 60 Old 08-20-2005, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa
I guess I jsut think most of the rules are fear based and created in a society which doesn't trust adolescents. Which is too bad, because at age of 18 they are expected to be responsible and trusted adults but have no previous experience or opportunities in either of those things.

Very good point!

In one of the letters we got just before school started it said: "By the time students reach 7th grade they should have developed most of the behaviors that makes an adult and adult"

Excuse me? These kids just turned 12 and they really expect them to behave like adults?! On the other hand they treat them like juvenile delinquents in boot camp that just can't be trustet. They can't even think about learning from their own mistakes.

I am beginning to understand more and more why people opt for homeschooling...

One of the really sore points for us and especially dd is group punishment. The all talk about what to do against peer pressure and how bad it is for the kids. They hold classes on it and so on. On the other hand teachers use just that to control the kids. :

This is really not a happy subject for us.
#46 of 60 Old 08-20-2005, 01:23 PM

why not simply keep track of bathroom uses? give the student a booklet where the teacher marks the bathroom use? then after each quartr, address the use, and see if rules need to be made. that way the child isn'T denied with a real need, but a teacher can see if the student is abusing bathrrom priveleges.
on a personal note, i believe that i only used a school bathroom a total of about 3 times in middle school. i would go befroe and after school. i wouldn't eat breakfast or lunch, so i didn't need to go.
#47 of 60 Old 08-20-2005, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen
i would go befroe and after school. i wouldn't eat breakfast or lunch, so i didn't need to go.
They are out of the house for 8 hrs. And starving herself to keep from having to use the bathroom surely is not the answer.

They put this rule into place because they don't want to have to deal with the kids individually. And keeping track of the kids would mean just that.
#48 of 60 Old 08-20-2005, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, but if because said student is never in class she or he does poorly in class you can grade him or her poorly. If excessive bathroom use means missing key information and fail the requiresd tests than they don't pass the class. But if they are on top of the information than they surely can handle the amount they're leaving the class.

My experience in both working and teaching in schools and being a student has always been that the veteran teachers, particularly in high school, are the ones who are the most laid back. They've proven themselves in teaching (good or bad) and they've come to realize that most of the battles are about control and not education.

I work with middle school students so I don't feel like I can say, well, if you don't do well, I'll just give you a bad grade, your fault, your choice. They are children and I feel resposible, not just for their grade, but their education. I can't say, a bunch of my students are choosing not to do their homework, oh well, they'll fail. I seek them out, talk to them, call home set up meetings with parents, etc. because I don't believe that they are old enough to make the decision to fail.

I am wondering about your comment about vetern teachers being laid back teachers. I am still thinking about it. I think many of my students see me as "laid back" because they feel they have some control in my classroom because it is organized in a way that they have choices. I have never yelled in my classroom and it flows smoothly. They seem happy. My secret is that I am a control freak and it is this amount of control that makes them relax. It is that out of control, yelling teacher with no discipline who seems uptight. But that is another topic.

BTW, I do let my student go to the bathroom. They just absolutely drive me nuts with their excuses for going everywhere. I know, I can only make transitive verbs soo fun before someone wants to go "take a walk."

I went to a private school with had ideals very much like the ones you describe. And it worked, but it was very small and most students were dedicated to the ideals. I try to make those ideas of respect work in my public school classroom but it is harder in an overcrowded room of students who don't all choose to be there.
#49 of 60 Old 08-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Banned

These comments kind of made me pause:

Quote:
As for sex in the bathrooms...so they have sex under the bleachers? Or in cars in the parking lots? Or in the custodian's closet? Or on the stage/behind the curtains in the theatre? Kids will have sex at school if they want, but it will still be the minority of kids so I guess I don't know why two incidents in a two year span (that's really miniscule) would penalize the rest of the students from accessing the bathroom or the drink fountain or taking a break from the class as they desire or need.
IIRC, Flor teaches at a middle school. Depending on the state she's in, students who have sex may be committing a status offense, even if the sex is consensual. Thus, the activity in question is considered a crime on school property and is a very big deal. But even at a high school, two incidents in which students are caught having sex in bathrooms in two years is far from miniscule.

If two got caught, how many more are doing it? What kind of risks are they taking in the process? If the involved students are not legally competent to consent, will the school be held liable? Was this behavior enabled or potentially enabled by a criminal or negligent act on the part of the school or its staff? Is it an indicator of other problems? Are students trading sexual favors for drugs? Is there hazing involved? How often are students exposed to these activities? Does involuntary exposure of uninvolved students constitute a violation of the school's obligation to provide a safe learning environment? (and if students are encountering other students engaging in sexual activity in bathrooms, the answer is "yes.") Who discovered the students, and did they intervene in an appropriate way? Did that person, intentially or unintentionally, behave in a way that might subject them to accusations of misconduct?

Some kids will have sex at school. Schools, however, really don't want them doing it there. And there's absolutely no way to tell from looking at the student body or at their cumulative discipline records which students are going to cause problems (like destroying a bathroom or having sex in it) while the faculty isn't looking directly at them.

Many posters have reported school bathroom policies which I think are ludicrous, but as much as possible, teachers do have to keep students in class, where they learn things under adult supervision, rather than in the bathroom, where they don't have the opportunity to learn and aren't supervised. It's easy to pick on public schools for having stupid policies, but there is a purpose to them.

Finally, while adults have more power than most students do, most of us do not get to take a break from our jobs as we "desire or need." I teach, so I personally basically never get an unscheduled break (I use the bathroom during lunch and between classes, just like I ask students to). But other jobs wouldn't allow me the degree of freedom the above poster describes either. Sure, I could get up from my desk and stretch, or take a short walk, but I couldn't take a 5-minute break from a meeting with a client or supervisor just because I felt like it. And I couldn't take 6 unscheduled 5- minute breaks, in addition to my scheduled breaks and lunch, every single day without being asked to provide some kind of documentation of need or explanation for my activities.
#50 of 60 Old 08-21-2005, 02:42 PM

requires frequent use?
I may have to put my younger ones in for a bit and my sn son may have interstial cystitis like I do-we won't know for a bit yet

I know I had to have one note from a dr and one from a uro in high school though they didn't know about ic at the time
Just I had 'some urinary defect"

thx
#51 of 60 Old 08-21-2005, 03:17 PM

Two years ago we had this same problem. My son peed his pants twice and pooped in them once because he was denied access to the bathroom. Plus, the kids were not allowed to drink water when they wanted. Plus, they were forced to stand outside in the heat as punishment for not being quiet in line!

All of these things are mind control. These are things that cults would do to take control of their followers. My son was only seven. I tried working with the school. I gathered a great deal of information and sent the principal a portfolio that talked about ways to have free access to water in the classroom with statements from the AAP on drinking water and children's health. I was told that he needed a doctor's note. That might help him, but what about all the other children, and why does a person need a dr.'s note to use the bathroom and drink water?

How did we fix it? We started homeschooling and it has been a wonderful life. Please consider what the school is doing to your child physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Even if you only need to homeschool for the next five months. It is something to consider.

About the CP. My dh is currently in counseling for post tramatic stress disorder (PTSD) due to a teacher who would spank him reguarly in the second grade.
#52 of 60 Old 08-23-2005, 01:33 AM

I haven't read all the posts, but just wanted to share my horrible bathroom experience.
When I was in fourth grade, I had to pee sooooo bad, but if you asked to use the bathroom, you had to miss 10 minutes of recess. So I held it, and held it, and held it, until I peed my pants. Talk about embarrassing. But to a kid, recess is the best part of the day and to have even part of that taken away is the end of the world!
I'm still horribly embarrassed, to this very day, about this and I NEVER tell anybody about it IRL. :

I can't imagine how teachers don't see this as wrong. How often do they get to go to the bathroom? Do they have to ask permission? If they go, do they get privileges taken away??????
#53 of 60 Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 AM

Can your daughter ask her teachers individually? I mean every teacher is different. I took all the artsy/english classes and ended up with alot more natural teachers and I knew the rules of each teacher was different. I was one of those kids that had to pee all the time! I had one teacher that only allowed 3 passes a whole semester but the following class was my more natural hippie teacher that had no problems allowing me to leave to go pee so that worked out well.

I dont think its fair for the school to ask something unreasonable because a few kids are doing bad things. I never smoked, had sex, or did anything against the rules, I just really had to pee. I always drank tons of water too and I think the teachers could see I carried around a huge water bottle (hey, helps that acne skin!) HAHA Cant they have a time limit or something? Like if the kid is gone for 10+ minutes....something might be up......but if the kid is gone for 4 minutes or whatever....then they are probably just peeing! LOL

I still am like that......in fact I have been known to have panic attacks if I feel like I cant go or there isnt a bathroom in sight. I'm sure they would have loved to see that! HAHAHAHA

Desiree

#54 of 60 Old 08-23-2005, 01:51 AM

Rainbow- I did that too, in second grade. My mom put me in these stupid pink overalls and I couldnt get the buckles undone so I peed my pants! It was soooooooo embarrassing!

Desiree

#55 of 60 Old 08-27-2005, 08:53 PM

Quote:
... Most work environments include walking around, talking to co-workers during work hours, getting coffee, going out for a smoke or break, going to the bathroom etc and rarely is any of this scheduled. ...
lots of folks work at jobs where this is not true. such as:
factories
active duty military
mothers of small children
sole proprietorship / small businesses where there isn't anyone else to watch the till
lots of stuff i'm not thinking of, i'm sure
and, as previously mentioned, schoolteachers

on the other hand, it is just obvious to me that if a person needs to pee or poop, then they need to. they can't be expected to "hold it" for longer than is reasonable. my public school kindergartener has a bathroom right there in his classroom. he can go as often as the mood strikes him. if he couldn't, i too would raise holy hell.
#56 of 60 Old 08-30-2005, 12:26 PM

"why not simply keep track of bathroom uses? give the student a booklet where the teacher marks the bathroom use? then after each quartr, address the use, and see if rules need to be made. that way the child isn'T denied with a real need, but a teacher can see if the student is abusing bathrrom priveleges."

But how do you know what is real need and what is not, unless you are following them? And who gets to set the standard for what is "reasonable" bathroom use? Certainly not the people the rules are intended to control, I am guessing.

Besides that, how infantilizing to have to report to someone else on bathroom usage.

"on a personal note, i believe that i only used a school bathroom a total of about 3 times in middle school. i would go befroe and after school."

Yeah, me too. Not very healthy. But it was embarrassing to me to have to ask for permission, and the bathrooms were gross anyway.
#57 of 60 Old 09-03-2005, 08:45 PM

I've had the same problem in the school here, among others, like you cinn. i could write a book with venting. I"m writing a letter to the principle in general about my concerns/issues siting multiple sources to back my thinking and requesting a face to face meeting. Then i will follow it to the board, this is a district wide issue and i dont think i should stop at just allowing MY children to be safe and healthy.
My kids have also come home with stories of one teacher (fortunately NOT one of theirs) hitting a/several students, i witnessed it myself one day, i just have to find out who the teacher was, sun was shingin behind her and i couldnt see.
Also there is an older man, a volunteer, who yelled at my oldest 2(in the elementary) for walking their kindergarden sister to class. he informed them they had no right to and "its not like she could get lost and if she did she could come as him for help". This might be reasonable enough except that we recently learned that she was being molested by her biological dad so doesnt trust men besides my husband, understandably. I informed the school of this issue yet they STILL had the gall to try that! I was very proud of my oldest girl she stuck to her guns and informed him i'd given permission for them to walk her and if he wanted to cause problems to call me

the school also think that can INFORM me that they can change my childrens entire diet and force them to have dairy products at lunch, something that hasnt been done in this house in MY childrens lifetime and in 18 years for me.

their school is SSSOOOOOO going to love me
#58 of 60 Old 09-03-2005, 10:09 PM

Cinnamon
Please keep us updated on what happens from this. If you make any head way please post. It might help another mama here with the same or a similar issue.
#59 of 60 Old 09-03-2005, 10:37 PM

I would go the route my mother used with rules of this ilk. She went to the doctor. I kid you not. Explain the situation to your ped. If he writes a doctors note and signs it that your child requires bathroom time when she needs to go they have to honor it. Then spread the word among the other parents. It is the stupidest rule I have heard of. The schools here use the SOAR points system as well. We are also surrounded by homeschoolers(we hs as well)
#60 of 60 Old 09-04-2005, 09:52 PM

2 passes a week per class? In an "average" school of 7 classes a day, that is 14 breaks a week, plus the scheduled break, and before school, after school, and in between classes. You'd be amazed at what kids can do during that 5 minute break. I think by middle school they can control their bodies enough to either know they will have to go in the next hour, or hold it for an hour.

Also it's not just the one kid using the bathroom, whether or not the kid has to ask to leave, or just leaves it disturbs the whole class, that is just a fact of life, even a small break disrupts the flow of the class, if every kid needed to go every class and even if each kid only upset the class for a minute that is quite a bit of disruption.

I'm not talking elem kids or kids with health issues, but I do think it's reasonable for a 14 year old to plan an hour in advance, and when they can't that is what the emergency passes are for.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page