preschool registration - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-06-2003, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
preschools around here are registering kids this week for sessions to start in Sept.

we had looked at schools this past fall and i always felt a hesitation. i think part of it was that my daughter really wasn't ready socially and i was concerned (although i wasnt able to put that into words until recently).

she's really changed in the last couple months and now i'm not as worried. she seems to enjoy kid companionship and seeks them out when we are out and about.

i guess what's kinda nagging at me now is i feel like i'm 'losing' her. i know its only preschool and its not all day but it feels like the start of a slippery slope. and our entry into 'the system' - where i dont know whats best for my daughter and i wont be the one to KNOW her (i'll just know the home version) or what she's exposed to.

i think its akin to the first time that you leave a kid with a sitter -- its really hard and uncomfortable to let go.

there's so little time before she HAS to be part of a school and it wasn't all that long ago that i quit working (ok it was about 9 months ago, but it doesnt feel that long ago esp. given some of the chaos we've had to ride through)

i know she'll love being with the kids and i think we'll like having some time apart. i just dont feel like its 'only' preschool we're signing up for if that makes any sense...

i'm also bummed about losing our "will of the winds" schedule that we've been living and having to drive in a.m. commuter traffic again. i haven't had to face that crap for over two years and haven't missed it... gag!
#2 of 5 Old 01-07-2003, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi there! I am wondering if the preschool you have chosen has the children spend a lot of the day there. In my dd's preschool, she only goes for 2 1/2 hrs. 3 times a week. It does create some artificial structure to the day, but it's also amazing what I can get done in those 2 1/2 hours!

I hear your struggle though with beginning to let go. Though my daughter is already in preschool, I feel a certain sadness about her beginning k-garten next year. My son is already in 2nd grade and I hated to "lose" him to school too. Dd is our last child. There is a very bittersweet quality to it-- if they want to go, you really want to support them in it, at the same time you are feeling such a great loss!

You could always sign up and then if you change your mind, withdraw her. However, if it's like my area (VT) if you wait and don't get her on the list, she will lose the opportunity.

It is a hard decision. Most preschools have lots of volunteer opportunities so that parents can feel involved!

#3 of 5 Old 01-08-2003, 04:21 PM

Is there an opportunity for your little one to attend a school nearer home? Walking to someplace in your neighbourhood feels so much nicer than communting in a car. Our preschool experiences have been really positive and constructive for both me as a mother and for my children as growing people, and I attribute that to the fact that the school is part of our community. Sending my children to their preschool has been like watching a butterfly slowly open her wings...
#4 of 5 Old 01-15-2003, 09:21 PM

I don't have much advice to add, just that I am in the same place as you. I put my son on a waiting list when he was one and now he will be old enough to go this September. I wasn't sure about it then, but figured I wanted the option to be there for us.
I guess I am afraid of losing my sweet little boy. He's so kind and gentle and sensitive and I am afraid that preschool (2 days a week for 2.5 hours) is somehow going to make him into someone different. That he'll become concerned about what he wears (which he doesn't give two poops about now) or self-conscious in any way. I'm afraid that his feelings will get hurt. I am afraid that he'll become agressive, or worse maybe, scared of others that are.
This is the beginning of my first baby moving away from me somehow. He just turned three, and not that the days are all wine and roses, but I like having him with me. I like being in control. This is a great preschool, but will they know how wonderful he is?
Gosh, you'd think I was sending him to boarding school. This is getting me weepy to think about. I did talk with the director and feel really good about the program and how it is set up. But he's still my baby.
#5 of 5 Old 01-15-2003, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
motherkins, have you visited the program where your child might be attending. Many preschools are such warm and nurturing places, it might alleviate your concerns about whether they will know how special your baby is. My experience is that of course no one ever appreciates all the wonderful qualities of your child, but teachers can often cast a new light on your child that you hadn't quite appreciated before. They can find and highlight skills sometimes in a new way, which is exciting! Ask the preschool how they handle conflict, and whether they help any "picked on" children feel safe as they work it out.

I think it's pretty rare for preschoolers to be overly concerned about their clothes and such, because they are just not that peer oriented (for all the emphasis on socialization in preschool!) They get more peer focused in about 2nd grade.

All that said, it sure is hard to have your first baby go off to preschool! It really is an adventure for them, and for you, but it feels very big and scary at the time. Both my children have gone, and they loved it, felt like they had a great big world to talk to me about when they got home from their little 2 1/2 hours away! It was cute actually. I'm glad you're chatting about it with others!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page