Does anyone supplement their child public school by doing some home schooling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had a great experience with public school until this year. My daughter is not only bright for her age but she is also on the older side in her class. 2nd grade & just turned 8. Her teacher last year was amazing! I just had conferences last night & her teacher see's her abilities but doesn't push her. She said that this class is all over the board. So she does things tht all can do expecting much more from my child then from some kids that are just being introoduced to these ideas. Also she is boared! She is telling me she is board. And is being social. The teacher has to talk to her about tlking in class! She has always strived to such high places, now she is loseing interest! I'm interested in supplementing at home, however I don't see how this will help her at school? Maybe to spark her interest & get her back into that mode? The only homework that is give is 15 minutes of reading & 15 minutes of physical activity! LAst year she had to anwser questions about what she read. Do vocab & spelling sentences. I can do this stuff with her at home. I've just been waiting for more from the teacher! I don't think more is coming! My DD usually reads for an hour. The spelling list so so much easier than last years. (Last year my DD was given a special list because the regular classes list wasn't challangeing) . I expressed all of my concerns last night in a very non-threatening way. The teacher gets it, but I don't think she is planning on doing anything! On week 1 on school she told me she would be giving her a sperate spelling list, & she never did! So I asked her is she plans to. She said that she ould rather see my DD using spelling in her writing, self editing & catching errors than giving her tough words. I'm frustrated. I'm even thinking should I talk to the principal? What should I do?

It's way to easy for her! And she is begining to loose interest! What would you do?

If you do homeschool as well as public where do you get your material?
#2 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 09:56 AM

We do supplement our children's public school education. We get material off the internet and at the library. For example, if they are studying insects in school, we get books out of the library at my dd's level, look at appropriate sites off the net and go looking for bugs outside and bring along field guides for identification.

Does your school have any type of enrichment program?
#3 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have always enriched my children's education whether they currently attended school or not. I thought this was something good parents just DO.
#4 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 11:53 AM

There's some sort of saying - "You are your child's first teacher." However, I'd change that into "You are you child's primary teacher." School serves a purpose but I do think that children would end up pretty ignorant about many subjects if parents weren't there to introduce new ideas and reinforce other things. (Also- I was a teacher in a previous incarnation of my life so I'm not anti-schooling. 99% of people involved in public or private education hope that they're not the only ones teaching each child.)

Right now, my son is only in preschool. He's learning a lot there, but I've been on the lookout for learning opportunities and teachable moments since he was a fetus. I don't think that you need to find extra worksheets or anything like that - reading with your child, finding ways to write with her (for example, if you're standing in a long line or waiting for an app't, the two of you can have a "written conversation" by passing notes back and forth without speaking), having her count out exact change for a cashier, taking her to museums and the zoo, etc. are all very important learning experiences.

: Deirdre & the boys ('02 & '06 vintage)
#5 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 01:08 PM

I do.
My older son has a learning disability and is very behind in school, so during the summer, I scoured the internet for academic work for him to do - to keep his brain active!

My younger son is still a toddler, but I plan to "supplement" school because he is soooo incredibly intelligent (I had an ER nurse ask me if he was a genius just this weekend) and I know that our local PS system simply will not cut it when he starts there.
#6 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 04:57 PM

I do. DS is in first grade in public school. He is the youngest in his class but is the best reader and solid at the other subjects. He is very interested in a few subjects that they don't focus on much at school, like history and science, so I am trying to focus on those things at home. They do way too many worksheet-type things at school (in my opinion) so I try to keep things fun at home- reading books that interest him, projects, visiting interesting places. I had planned to do a more structured "afterschool" curriculum, but given how much time he spends at school (and given that his school is pretty fast-paced) I am taking a much more casual approach to it. Like some of the pps suggested, I think you can look at school as just one component of your child's education.
#7 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 05:31 PM

I think that you are probably going to face this issue a lot if your daughter is already way ahead of her peers. I know that my parents had to do a lot of stuff for me because otherwise I was really bored, and thus a distraction to others, in school. We haven't faced it as much with my son yet but may get there.

Perhaps it would be less confusing for her if you found things other than traditional "school" subjects for supplimental education. For example, rather than giving her harder spelling words, do a project on pandas (or whatever has caught her interest -- I was just reaching for a random thing). I remember taking extra classes at the natural history museum as a kid and doing lots of extra work on whatever topic they were presenting. Something that would stretch her abilities a bit but not put you in competition with her classroom teacher and wouldn't make the "bored in class" situation worse.
#8 of 16 Old 11-08-2005, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, sounds good, that's what I was getting at. But what about in the class room? I need to be sure her brain is stimulated, while she is there! I just have to share with you last weeks spelling list! bug, cut, truck, up, just, but, some & come .......see! She doesn't even look them over, she knows them. I'm so frustrated. I'm trying to find out if any of the other teachers are doing more. They don't even have to respond to reading! I feel like she's in kindergarden all over again!
#9 of 16 Old 11-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh
She said that she ould rather see my DD using spelling in her writing, self editing & catching errors than giving her tough words.
So, is your daughter spelling these words correctly on spelling tests and then incorrectly on written assignments? If she's misspelling them on assignments it doesn't sound like she's mastered them, and giving her harder words won't help her with spelling in real writing, which is much more important than spelling for spelling tests.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#10 of 16 Old 11-09-2005, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLeigh
I'm interested in supplementing at home, however I don't see how this will help her at school?
are you looking to hep her in school or are you looking to educate her beyond school. I would move into areas that have nothing to do with school. SOmehting you might be intrested in reading is Charlotte Mason stuff. She focuses on reading great boks, "narration" (learning through interpreting the material orally or written), nature study and developing good habits that nurture the whole child. A good book is "A Charlotte Mason companion by Karen Andreola

Quote:
The only homework that is given is 15 minutes of reading & 15 minutes of physical activity! Last year she had to anwser questions about what she read. Do vocab & spelling sentences. I can do this stuff with her at home. I've just been waiting for more from the teacher!
if this is what you are wanting for her why don't you have her do it? Don't wait for the teacher. I think it is great that the teacher doesn't give much homework and that she encourages physical activity and reading. This leaves your afternoon hours free for interacting with your dd and enriching her life in the way you see fit.

Quote:
She said that she would rather see my DD using spelling in her writing, self editing & catching errors than giving her tough words.
I think the teacher is dead on here. spelling lists mean nothing and reflect rote memorization rather than actually intellectual growth and understanding. It is much harder and much more applicaple to be able to self edit and correct spelling errors. I was part of two experimental classes who learned spelling and grammer this way. each day when we walked into class there were two entences on the board with misspelled words and incorrect grammer/punctuation/sentence structure. I learned more in those two sentences than i did in 12 years of spelling lists and grammer texts and exercises. Incidentally we also had to proof read our work and each others until everyones was error free. I was also in an education prep (prep for potential education majors) and got to work in the experimental 4th grade class (they were test teaching for the New Jersey Writing project which is awsome.). It was fun to see it work on a 4th grade level and senior honors English level. I would be willing to say the 4th graders were on par with us by the end of the year.

also something that really heped me was wordprocessing with a spell check. It would identify the misspelled words and I challenge myself to figure out the spelling. If I can't then I make a note of how it is spelled for next time. this went miles and miles toward improving myspelling all without soon forgotten list. I let my dd have a xanga account and she has to self correct spelling. Riht now I identify misspelled words but she has to figure out how to spell them and look them up etc. . . .

Quote:
If you do homeschool as well as public where do you get your material?
There is a god book called After Schooling or something like that which address just this sort of thing.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#11 of 16 Old 11-09-2005, 02:14 AM

and if she particularly enjoys challeneging spelling words enter her in the spelling bee. you will have more lists of words than youc an shake a stick at. You need not go through your school for this.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 16 Old 11-09-2005, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

She is getting these words correct. And she uses a broad vocab in her writing. That's why I think the teacher is kinda beating around the bush & making excuses, because she doesn't want to do the extra work. Her point is with the self editing is that the other kids arn't able to do this, but my DD actually notices her errors, which means she is self editing already! I am doing more & more at home. But really if she's not stimulated at school all day long, than what is she getting out of it? I understand this school of thought however if you saw what she was doing last year compared to what she is doing this year, it's appalling! It's like she went a gradebehind instead of forward. It's not just the spelling, it's everything really. It's like she has to focus on the majority which is at a lower level.

I think this teacher is spending the majority of her time with the kids who need her help. So my child is left to work on her own, which is great some of the time, but she still needs to be checked in on & directed. And if she finishes something early give her something else.

I put a call in to her 1st grade teacher the one who was so good at keeping her busy! I'm going to ask her for advice. She was so amazing. I know that over the years we will have teachers with different styles, we may like some more than others. But if my DD is board & begining to not care so much about school & hanging around with the wrong crowd, that's a RED FLAG to me. I know my child, and she should be bringing home amazing things! Not just work sheets.
#13 of 16 Old 11-09-2005, 03:07 PM

EricaLeigh, I've been following your thread - it's been very interesting. I really have no advice to offer but just wondered if your school system has an enrichment program? Many schools do and it can be helpful for students like your daughter.

GL!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#14 of 16 Old 11-09-2005, 05:40 PM

Something else to consider ... I have heard that while first grade is a year when kids learn a ton of new concepts, second grade is a "review year" in which the pace is a bit slower and the previous concepts are reinforced. Perhaps that accounts in part for the big difference you are noticing between this year and last? Still, a skillful teacher should have a way to tailor the curriculum for kids such as your daughter who have already mastered the concepts.
#15 of 16 Old 11-10-2005, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I have been doing research! I'm trying to compile as much info to help my DD as possiable. I'm still waiting to hear from her 1st grade teacher. I'm going to focus on asking her if her ciriculum has changed since last year. And try to get a grasp of what she thinks Miranda is capable of. I'm not going to bash the new teacher. I just need to know what she pictured Miranda doing this year, & see if it t's anything close to what she's learning. Also I want to know if the "No child left behind law" is part of the problem.

After thinking about everything I feel like I really don't have a good picture of what goes on in the classroom. I had questions & concerns that we talked about but, I feel like we ran out of time! So I'm writing a letter asking if we can meet again since our talk was cut short. Explaining that I would like to hear more about a typical day. And telling her that I'm doing more at home, but I feel like she also needs more at school. See if we can come to an aggreement. Hopefully we can. If not then I can take the next step, talk to the principal, give her a copy of the letter tell her I'm trying to work with the teacher blah, blah, blah. I feel like I wasn't forward enough at our meeting. I do want to give her a chance. I hope the letter & 2nd meeting will show her that I'm serious & I'm not going to wait another 3 months for a solution. I think that what I'm asking is reasonable.

From what I understand there is a TAG program (talented & gifted), but it is for 4th grade and up. This is what I thought was a progressive school, they have ESL, speach, reading helpers, math helpers to help the kids that need it. In kindergarten my DD learned sign language & spanish. Why wouldn't they have a group, that meets the needs of kids with different needs? Kids on the other side of the spectrum. I hope that it all works out, because I really don't want DD to have to change classes unless nessecary.

Sound like a plan?
#16 of 16 Old 11-10-2005, 12:14 PM

I think that sounds like a very good plan, too bad they don't have a TAG program for grades under 4.

GL!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page