Waldorf? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-05-2003, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just curious if anyone sends their kids to Waldorf school, and what do you think of it? It looks like something I would have loved as a kid. There's a Waldorf school in our city that goes all the way to 12th grade!

My daughter is only 3.5 months, but her schooling is a serious issue for me. I wonder if it would be worth sticking around here for.

Just wondering. Thanks
#2 of 5 Old 02-07-2003, 03:06 AM

I like Waldorf's art and foreign language programs, and it made it look really attractive at first. Then I found out that their science has rules of it's own that don't agree with what you'll find in modern textbooks (like it's own classifications for animals), technology is not only non-existent in the schools, it's actively discouraged, and reading is discouraged until children are between seven and nine. I also haven't been particularly impressed with the intellectual caliber of the graduates I've met. Generally, happy, well-spoken kids with atrocious basic math and written language skills.

I also have issues with some things I've read about participation in their own holidays which I find way to religious in nature for my taste, but it seems to vary from school to school.

I am still considering it for one of my children who is extremely sensitive and emotional because I'm hoping that all the art and language will help his life coping skills, but I would consider it his "social" education, while his "academic" education I would provide at home. And even then, I would only consider this because I'm a math geek and dad's a science and computer geek, and I feel comfortable in that we could provide what Waldorf lacks. Most homeschoolers weak spots are math and science.
#3 of 5 Old 02-07-2003, 03:31 PM

I recently attended an alumni panel held at my children's Waldorf school. On the panel were very recent grads (sophmores in HS), college students, and one law school student. They all felt that they were way ahead of public school and Catholic school students in all areas of study, including math and science. Most felt that if they ever felt weaker in an area that they were quickly able to catch up because they knew how to learn and they were more creative. All of them thought that the work expected of them from Waldorf (K-8) was much more than the level expected at their new schools. Even the Catholic High School student and the gifted program public high school student felt that what was required at Waldorf was more strenous that what was expected of them now in their respective high schools.

Now this is anecdotal information. Maybe none of the miserable graduates participated. Also, I would state that the school and the teacher your child has for K - 8th matters a great deal. Schools can be radically different as can the quality of the teacher. I have heard of some students who struggle with a subject and end up going for outside help at Kumon or Sylvan so the individual student matters also.

What ever school you choose, it is important to stay on top of how your child is doing. Are their needs being met? Are they learning?

The way I look at it is their are risks in attending public schools or private. At each school the risks are different just as the rewards are different. For us, Waldorf is the only way to go. I want my children to be the best human possible and I believe that Waldorf is big help in the wholeness of the person. We can cover the math, science, etc. if need be. Also, we love the festivals and we love the spiritual side of Waldorf at our school. It acknowledges the spirit without being dogmatic about which religion is right. They study all religions and celebrate many religious holidays the majority being Christian.
#4 of 5 Old 02-07-2003, 03:39 PM

I recently attended an alumni panel held at my children's Waldorf school. On the panel were very recent grads (sophmores in HS), college students, and one law school student. They all felt that they were way ahead of public school and Catholic school students in all areas of study, including math and science. Most felt that if they ever felt weaker in an area that they were quickly able to catch up because they knew how to learn and they were more creative. All of them thought that the work expected of them from Waldorf (K-8) was much more than the level expected at their new schools. Even the Catholic High School student and the gifted program public high school student felt that what was required at Waldorf was more strenous that what was expected of them now in their respective high schools.

Now this is anecdotal information. Maybe none of the miserable graduates participated. Also, I would state that the school and the teacher your child has for K - 8th matters a great deal. Schools can be radically different as can the quality of the teacher. I have heard of some students who struggle with a subject and end up going for outside help at Kumon or Sylvan so the individual student matters also.

What ever school you choose, it is important to stay on top of how your child is doing. Are their needs being met? Are they learning?

The way I look at it is their are risks in attending public schools or private. At each school the risks are different just as the rewards are different. For us, Waldorf is the only way to go. I want my children to be the best human possible and I believe that Waldorf is big help in the wholeness of the person. We can cover the math, science, etc. if need be. Also, we love the festivals and we love the spiritual side of Waldorf at our school. It acknowledges the spirit without being dogmatic about which religion is right. They study all religions and celebrate many religious holidays the majority being Christian.
#5 of 5 Old 02-08-2003, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
nataliekat, lplease also see the threads "waldorf vs. montessori" and "what do you like of your child's waldorf school" in this forum. There's lots of great discussion on waldorf, pros and cons in these two threads. If you do a search, you'll find even more!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page