Montessori book suggestions........ Montessori Controversy??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-11-2003, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for a good book that discusses and gives indepth info on the Montessori methods. My son is 1 and I just recently added him to the waiting list at the local school. I know it is accredited, but that is about as far as it goes beyond the *basic* concepts.

I found "The Montessori Controversy" on Amazon and read some aobut it. It seems like a good book, but was wondering if anyone had read it? It is expensive and wonder if it is worth the money?

Any other books that you can recommend?

I really feel that I want to fully understand the method.
#2 of 10 Old 02-11-2003, 10:52 PM

Hi Amanda!

My favorite book to recommend is Montessori: A Modern Approach by Paula Polk Lillard. She provides a really good overview in addition to a brief history of Montessori's beginnings. And this book is published by Schocken (same pubs as MM), so you know it is up to Dr. Montessori standards.

Of course, if you want to understand the Montessori's theories entirely, you should read The Montessori Method. But, that might take a really long time. I often compare Montessori's writing to Faulkner -- so beautiful and insightful, but not so navigable!

And Ms. Lillard's work is as scholarly as any, so don't feel that you would be slumming with that.

Good luck!

Jean
(a former primary-level Montessorian)

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#3 of 10 Old 02-11-2003, 10:58 PM

My favorite references are The Joyful Child and Child of the World ( the first one for your age child). It is catalog style, but with explaination of every tool and activity in the classrooms, interwoven with Montessori philiosophy, quotes, references and knowledge. You can get them free or for a ship charge from The Michael Olaf Co.odering and Ebook info or the main site

My DD ( 7) has been in Montessori since age 4.Michael Olaf Montessori
#4 of 10 Old 02-12-2003, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both very much! I knew I could count on someone here for the best resources. I am going to pick up "A Modern Approach" this weekend and I plan to order "The Joyful Child" tomorrow. I looked at it online and was wondering if the actual paper publication would have pictures with it?
#5 of 10 Old 02-12-2003, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by friskeymama
"The Joyful Child" tomorrow. I looked at it online and was wondering if the actual paper publication would have pictures with it?
Yes Joyful Child is filled with photos. It is really thick, and the photos are nice black and white, heavy paper. A real keeper.
#6 of 10 Old 02-23-2003, 01:04 AM

jean, does A Modern Approach have a lot of "in the classroom" descriptions, where the author hung out in a room and relays what different children are doing throughout the day?

i read a book at borders on my lunch break a while ago and thought it was very accessible to read, but when i went back to buy it for my dh to read it was gone and i don't remember the title or author!
#7 of 10 Old 02-23-2003, 01:09 AM

ooh keysmama i just checked out that website ~ what great prices! and nice and simply written, a bonus for those of us with hubbies who were not english lit nerds like me
#8 of 10 Old 02-23-2003, 10:51 AM

thanks, I think so too. I get Joyful Child every year, and just started getting Child of the World as my oldest is 7 now.
#9 of 10 Old 03-01-2003, 09:47 PM

Cattrane,

Montessori Today is the Polk book that gives an account of what it's like to go hang out in a classroom. Our library has a copy of it...you might see what all your local library has on Montessori.

One of my favorites is Children Who Are Not Yet Peaceful. Can't remember the author (our library does NOT have it, unfortunately). After I read it I was ready to move to Texas and enroll in the author's school!

Some of MMs works are available for free online. I'm not big on reading books online, so I don't have the addy at my fingertips, but if anyone wants it I'll find it.

edited to give the correct Polk book title, since all the Montessori books are starting to meld in my mind....
#10 of 10 Old 03-04-2003, 11:47 PM

You may want to check out the Montessori magazine 'Tommorrow's Child' from your public library. My library has several videos on Montessori as well as a lot of books regarding the method. I would look there first before buying anything new. Half of the stuff put out is very porly written or very dry to read and some does not apply to today's Montessori classrooms. Montessori schools have different accrediting groups so there can be a vast difference between Montessori schools. There is a Montessori message board at ivilliage parents place that is pretty active.
Good Luck,
mom of 4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page