Tuition Level Assesment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2003, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As opposed to Tuition Level Assistance. The first is something all families in the school participate in and tuition is set to the level you can pay. The second is something only those who apply for go through and it is essentially financial aid.

My school is talking about moving to Tuition Level Assesment to remove the stigma of financial aid. Is there anyone here who has experience with this? How do they determine income level? Do they figure in expenses? What about 2 income vs. 1 income?

I think this could be a good thing but it could also be very painful. We just started Tuition Insurance this year which has caused a lot of angry feelings in some parents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2003, 06:11 PM

I have heard of schools that raised "full" tuition such that the bulk of families had to enter into some sort of individualized tuition level agreement with the school. Sounds like a LOT of work to me.

Seems to me that it would have to be a very comprehensive look at your whole financial picture -- some could view it as quite intrusive, I expect. Some view the relatively simple asisstance paperwork as too intrusive!

However, I am interested in your statement, "We just started Tuition Insurance this year which has caused a lot of angry feelings in some parents." Could you elaborate, please?

Thanks -- David
Old 02-13-2003, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Last year after the budget was set in August of 2002 (determined by the number of enrollment contracts), 12 families left the school mostly due to financial hardship. All 12 families were released from their contracts so the school was out 12 tuitions. The budget had to be cut here and there. One year of this the school can weather but if it happens too much it would be detrimental to the financial health of the school.

So this year, at re-enrollement, each family is asked to give an additional $50 per child for 'tuition insurance'. It is self insured by the school to keep the cost down. Many schools require this to protect the families and the school. In addition to this, the rules for being released from the contract have been tightened. After all, a contract is a contract.

Well, some families feel that they are being punished because of irresponsible families that have dropped out. I look at like car insurance, you have to cover yourself for the hit and runs and uninsured drivers. I think more should have been communicated before it was implemented but people never read the minutes from meetings anyway.

User Tag List