waldorf parent child program? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know what happened to the Waldorf forum...but anyway, have any of you mamas done the Waldorf Parent Child program? And if so, how did you like it?Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2006, 02:26 PM

Hi! I was wondering what happened to the Waldorf forum, myself.

Anyway, I have a 10 month old DS and we go to a Parent/child class here in Chicago (later this afternoon, actually!). I love it.

The structure of the class at our school is: everyone puts their things away in cubbies (like real school!) and chats with the teacher while the assistant finishes setting the table for lunch. The room is divided into two spaces, a homey-type space with a kitchen, changing table, rocking chair, and large wooden table with child-sized chairs; the other room is a carpeted play space with a cradle, play stands, climbing apparatus, play kitchen, etc. and is lined with wooden shelves containing toys, and topped with playsilks and seasonal decorations.

When everyone has arrived, we all sit at a big table and they light a candle and say a type of blessing and the mommies are served lunch (nice, right?). We go around the table and people talk about what's new with their babe that week or any questions we might have for the teacher (about child development, Waldorf, whatever).

The second half of class, we move into the other room and the babies play while the teacher takes time to observe each one, notice changes in development, encourages the mommies to imitate what the child is doing. The toys are what you'd expect: made of natural materials and quite beautiful. Every once in a while, the teachers do a little puppet show, mostly for the parents to see what some of the things they do in the older classes are like. Sometimes we do fingerplays. Towards the end of class, the playsilks are brought out and we do a "peekaboo" song, followed by a lullaby.

What I like about the class is:
I feel like it gives me a taste of Waldorf
It is peaceful and relaxing
I feel really connected to the gentle and joyful side parenting.
We are meeting a community of people who parent a BIT like we do (our class is surprisingly NOT heavily AP, BFing, non-vaxing, etc but at least I don't feel odd the way I sometimes do in more mainstream playgroups). I would say that most of the people in the class are pretty anti-media for kids, though.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:40 PM

hey there, we went to a waldorf parent toddler group in the uk. it was less structured than pp's group; informal arrivals in a.m, free play for children and a semi-ctructured craft activity for parents and older children. snack time with cnadle and blessing. outdoor play in garden or sandbox followed by songs and story time and goodbye. I loved it and hope to set up a waldorf inspired group like this when we move for my dd to experience. The biggest plus was being in an envionemnt that felt like home and totally inoffensive (in terms of natural toys, materials, organic snack, etc) and many many AP mothers and fathers with similar parenting approaches. It was the only toddler group i've been to where the moms looked engaged and cheerful rather than depressed and lonely.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like we'd enjoy a parent child class. Smilla, we're in Chicago too--you must be going to the program I'm checking out..glad to hear how much you like it. Thanks for all the detail!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:39 AM

I did one with my 2yo, and it was great. I decided to go on with Waldorf for preschool and onwards.
I liked that it wasn't all attachment parenting devotees (sorry all) but really very diverse in the participants. It helped me figure out the Waldorf method a bit and feel comfortable sending ds there next year. It is a great antidote to the spongebob world.

User Tag List