Waldorf preschool??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-20-2002, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of any Waldorf preschools in NE NJ??? I know of a few Montessori but can't seem to find any Waldorf??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-20-2002, 01:34 AM

Hi again! Glad you feel better about the Prevnar!!

It's funny but I was looking for a Waldorf school in my area too! I saw that there is one in Princeton NJ.

Is it hard to get children into the Waldorf schools? I ask that because it seems that there are not that many of them. There are a lot of Montessori though.

I really don't know anything about preschools yet, I'm just starting to look into them. Here is the Waldorf website www.awsna.org Hope that helps!
#3 of 8 Old 01-21-2002, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Rain!! You are so wonderful helping me again!! Princeton is pretty far for me but it is closer than the one in NYS that I found. Why isn't there more Waldorf schools!! I don't know if it is hard to get into them- it seems like there is just a shortage in this area! LOL! If I find out anything I will let you know!
#4 of 8 Old 01-31-2002, 07:42 PM

Hi I'm not sure if this NE Jersey or not but there is one in Frenchtown, NJ I think that is pretty close to Flemington, Clinton etc. Does that help?
#5 of 8 Old 02-01-2002, 07:05 PM

This is confusing to me. I thought a large part of the Waldorf philosophy was that children should be home with their parents until they are aprox age 7?
Am I way off base on that?:
#6 of 8 Old 02-01-2002, 07:44 PM

I am currently looking into the Waldorf School myself now. From what I understand they have a playgroup for 2-3 year olds and preschool for 3-4 year olds and then they have a kindergarten for 5. I'm thinking of signing up for the playgroup in Sept.

From what I have read so far, The Waldorf Schools do not begin to teach reading until the children are 7 years old.

I just posted a thread the other day with questions about the Waldorf School. I'm trying to find out as much as possible. What I really am interested in finding out is about their admissions policy. There are so few schools I wonder if it is hard to get into them.:
#7 of 8 Old 02-02-2002, 02:31 AM

LaLa,

I wouldn't say that you are way off base -- being home with a parent is a good place for kids to be according to my understanding of Waldorf. However, the Waldorf parent tot programs, playgroups, preschools and kindergartens emulate the home in important ways. They are very nurturing environments with lots of rhythms and wholesome activities, and lots of PLAY. The kindergartens are also mixed age (4 - 6). With smaller families and lack of kid friendly neighborhoods, Waldorf early childhood education gives kids a chance to learn through imitation and play.

Rain,

I don't know that anyone can give you a general answer about whether it is difficult to get into a Waldorf school. Some of the more established schools may have long waiting lists; start-up schools may not. It probably also fluctuates from year to year in some cases. (We got on the kindergarten waiting list in Autumn 2000, hoping to start in Autumn 2002. At the time I had heard there was a long waiting list, but now there is no problem.) I would suggest contacting the schools to find out how things are at the ones you are interested in. As far as other admissions criteria, the school we are interested in has an interview process and an initial trial period to determine whether both sides are a good fit.

Hope this helps!
#8 of 8 Old 02-06-2002, 01:18 AM

Just an idea, you may be able to find a list of Waldorf schools at (Waldorf.net) I recall seeing it there somewhere in the links. You may have to fish around. If not keep asking, someone is bound to know where the list is. I know there is one that list schools all over the world. Another option is calling a Waldorf school in another state and asking them for the resource.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page