questions to ask @ kindy info night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-04-2003, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, just when I thought not vaxing was the toughest parenting choice yet...here comes kindergarten!!! Just wondering if you have any ideas about good questions to ask at the info night tonight. Here is some history.

My DD is 4 and would start in the fall at either the expensive waldorf school in town which we can't afford or the french emmersion public school ( meeting tonight) or ****I have been tossing the homeschooling idea around for years...intuition tells me it might be right for us. DD is very social and can read. (teach your child in 100 easy lessons) She's bright and says she would LOVE school. hmmm.

any ideas are welcome...thanks mothering family!!
#2 of 2 Old 03-04-2003, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh it is hard, that first kindergartener going off! I am said that my 2nd and probably last little k-gartner will be heading off in the fall!

I would ask questions about how they handle children who need discipline (even if yours doesn't, how they are handling the ones who do will set the tone for the class)

How much time do they spend outside?
How many transitions are there?
How much down time?
How much free play? (this is still developmentally needed at 5 and certainly 4)
Strong focus on academics or play-based model?
How are art and music handled?
Are there themes for the year? Do the "specials" (art, music, gym) incorporate these themes?
What kind of communication can you expect? What does the teacher like from you?
How do they challenge a child who is bright and already reading (as yours is)? Will your child be bored going over the ABC's? How will they teach to her level?

These are just a few off the top of my head. I don't know very much about language immersion schools so there would surely be other questions that go with that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page