School sports - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-05-2003, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else doing these? This is Taylor's first year doing them (he's in 3rd grade) and I am finding out this is *serious* business. Basketball was great. We had a great coach who treated all the players with respect, taught, and encouraged them. Now I saw some coaches that would have made my ds quit. I saw parents yelling at refs, coaches yelling at players, and players crying and wanting to come off the field (oops I mean court) but not being allowed to. Sheesh!

We are just now starting baseball and from what I hear, we haven't seen *anything* yet! We got another great coach, but on our first practice, the assistant coach was screaming at his own child, telling him he wasn't pitching good enough etc. in a really mean voice. I am waiting to see how he treats ds. If he yells at my kid like that, he had better be ready for me.

It is hard for Tay because all the other kids here have been playing for years. We hadn't played because we were homeschooling on the road. He is a quick learner though. I'd love to hear other people's experiences.
#2 of 4 Old 03-05-2003, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I haven't had much experience with school sports yet-- my oldest is in 2nd grade. He used to do T-ball. All the kids would dive for the ball and pounce on it because they didn't understand the game! Somehow my son, who is definitely marching to a different drummer, decided team sports weren't for him after trying t-ball and soccer. I have heard about the intensity on the teams from other parents, though, and I just don't understand it. What's the big deal? I would have a hard time with it too, and I think the Mama Bear in me would come out! I'm sure some others here have had more direct experience and will share it when they wake up!

#3 of 4 Old 03-08-2003, 12:14 AM

My oldest ds is in the fourth grade and we avoid all teams that are hyper competitive. Which are most of them and now it is nearly ALL sports teams at his age level. Our local YMCA offers a stress free roller hockey team and we are signed up for our fourth session this year. The coach (a woman) is the best!

When my son took soccer through parks and rec, the soccer coach was very kind a patient. He made sure all the kids had fun and learned something. He really didn't care about scoring! Plus, he knew most of the kids from kindergarten on.

It seem like everything is so high stakes for kids these days. No wonder they veg in front of the PlayStation so much, they need a break for it all.
#4 of 4 Old 03-09-2003, 01:14 AM

My oldest is in Grade 3, and the children around here don't do competitive sports until Grade 4 or so, but...

My opinion is that there are a lot of team activities that aren't sports, so if you don't like the coaching, consider these co-operative activities: choir, drama, dance, art class, chess club, environmental group, Brownies, or Scouts. All of these activities teach kids about doing group work on projects, cooperating, taking turns, and having a particular role to play without the crazy win/lose pressure that adults put into sports. If you have a child who thrives on competiton, then sports are wonderful, and your child can enjoy them with your guidance, but remember that there are lots of ways of being part of a team that are outside the arena, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page