Homeschool versus public school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-08-2003, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies,
I am new here and wanted to ask you what you feel the advantages of "learning at school are". I am considering homeschool and/or a somewhat traditional approach.

My main reasons for wanting to school traditionally are:

1. I want her to have a variety of friends to chose from in our neighborhood.

2. I dont know that I could provide the variety/education/interest that a typical education would provide.

However, I have trouble with standardized testing and the lack of respect for the 'individual child' in the typical school setting.

I am interested in any thoughts....

Thank You,
Denise
#2 of 5 Old 03-09-2003, 01:03 AM

I think that you need to consider whether or not you can offer your child more of the things that he will value than the school can. When I was growing up, the public system gave me much more than my parents could have given me, and I am grateful for the things I found out about from my teachers and from the system. My parents lived in a very narrow and conservative world, and at school I learned about things like feminism, tolerance, environmentalism, and art.

Our local school is a French Immersion school. It has a very good reputation for both academics and having a good social atmosphere. I am also strongly drawn towards homeschool, but I do like the things that my daughter is enjoying at her school. The foremost advantage is that she is learning French. She is well on her way to becoming bilingual, and that is quite important to me. She is a very outgoing person, unlike me, so she gets a wider view of the world at her school than she would if she were at home with me. (I don't think that this is true of families who homeschool, but it is true of our family.)

If I couldn't find a school that I felt offered something better than what I could give my children, I'd keep them home. As it is, I believe all parents are home educators, and that the time we spend learning together complements the time my children spend at school with their teachers and classmates.
#3 of 5 Old 03-09-2003, 09:53 PM

Do they have charter schools in your area? There are several charter schools here that have 2 days in class and three at home, sort of a best of both worlds. It wouldn't work with the idea of meeting neighborhood kids. But if they are in your neighborhood can't you meet them some other way? Even If my boys go to a public school, it would not be the local school, so they wouldn't be meeting local kids there anyway.

As to providing variety and interest I feel you're better able to do that at home, because you can let the child focus in depth on the things they are really interested in, and then cover the basics in other areas (I plan on using the "What your first grader need to know", etc. to make sure the basics are covered.)
#4 of 5 Old 03-10-2003, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think temperament is an important thing to consider when choosing whether to homeschool or school out of the home. My son has a hard time letting us teach him to play mini-golf, let alone math or reading! He is strong willed and seems to need to get his "official" learning from someone outside the home. We try to surround him with wonderful role models so he is learning good stuff! I think it would be possible to homeschool him if one of us quit our job; he would demand a great deal of attention and stimulation. He craves new experiences. So far, public school is meeting this need. We take it year by year, and know that one of these years we may need to homeschool based on teachers that are available. I think the parent's temperament is important too. Some have a good match for hsing and some don't. I'm not sure about me

#5 of 5 Old 03-10-2003, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your amazing feedback! My dd has a temperment that would probably do well in both enviroments in some respects. She loves people, but is very sensitive???

Quote:
Do they have charter schools in your area? There are several charter schools here that have 2 days in class and three at home, sort of a best of both worlds.
That sounds like a great option. We have a charter school close by, but it is full time.

I will do some more checking though?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page