montessori training - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-22-2001, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, Kelekamama has sent me some wonderful info on a training center in StLouis, but that is just too far away from me?!

Anyone know where I can find a closer one?
#2 of 12 Old 11-25-2001, 09:45 AM

Depending on the training you are looking for, I think that is the closest to you. Go to the AMI web site and they have a map with all of their training centers on it. I attended the one in Phoenix AZ and was trained by Nimal Vaz.

Good luck in your search.
#3 of 12 Old 11-26-2001, 04:23 PM

A friend of mine here in Chicago just did the training (either in Chicago or Evanston, IL)

I think that is a bit closer to you...
#4 of 12 Old 12-17-2001, 11:51 PM
Bee

Hi LaLa, where are you from?
#5 of 12 Old 12-18-2001, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

from IA, but not very far south, I'm afraid

I was thinking maybe some non ami certification may be available closer? Why couldn't I get certified non ami, then just teach AMI anyway?
#6 of 12 Old 01-05-2002, 11:18 AM

I believe it's possible to get training via the internet, sorry I don't have the info for you though...
#7 of 12 Old 01-05-2002, 02:10 PM

if you are going to get training get the real thing! Training over the internet is garbage! IMO
#8 of 12 Old 01-11-2002, 03:54 PM

LaLa,
You might be interested in having the training come to you in your home if you're far from a large city.

Here's address, web site info:

Montessori Teacher Preparation of Washington
3410 S. 272nd St.
Kent, WA 98032

home1.gte.net/mtpwa/tehrprep/

They sell self-paced video tape home courses for 2 different levels:

Level Birth - 3 years
Level 3 - 6 years

Hope that helps
#9 of 12 Old 01-13-2002, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

So, I've found some Montessori training through distance learning (since there is no center near here)

BUT what I don't know is if their certificates are credible in the world of teaching. I suppose if you were opening your own school it would be fine, but if you're planning on working somewhere established, would it fly?

Anyone have experience with this?
Help!
#10 of 12 Old 02-23-2002, 08:06 AM

BUMP

I have the same question.....going to a center for a month is impossible for me with little ones.....the program at Loyola is for elementary and I am looking for preschool. anyone have any comments on the distance course..it's not AMI or AMS they say they are independent--which is fine with me if it's credible. Sometimes affiliation can bring alot of politics.
#11 of 12 Old 02-23-2002, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Lukemum,
I talked to my local school and they said that the distance leraning courses are not as credible, but since there are no centers near here, it is hard to find ANYONE, especially assistants, so they are more then willing to take on anyone who shows the right stuff!
#12 of 12 Old 02-23-2002, 05:04 PM

I really haven't found there to be a lot of politics when it comes to AMI accredidated school. AMI means that it is montessori... AMS and NCME are versions of Montessori. So really its not just a "group" that is filled with problem. Maria Montessoris son developed AMI to protect what his mother had worked so hard at. The unfortuante thing about Montessori is she isn't copyrighted. So anyone and everyone can take the name and say they have a montessori school or they have Montessori training.
~IMO~
I have found that these training sites over the internet are a extremly watered down version of Montessori. Most take a few of the materials and ideas of Montessori and fly with it. The out come is not Montessori.
Read her books understand her theory and see what you feel is right for you. If after getting to understand montessori, you feel that it works, then go for it. I don't know of any schools where I live that would hire someone as an actual teacher with one of these certificates though. So if your goal is to teach then I think its a waste of money (and time). I was blessed to have an AMI training center 2 miles from my house. The trainig is A LOT of work to become certified but it is soooo worth it!
Good luck again with your search.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page