Mothering Forum banner

Sandwich wrapers vs. baggies

896 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  tnrsmom 
#1 ·
A while back someone had mentioned they bought a sandwich wrapper (I don't know what you would call it) that is cloth on one side and plastic on the other for wrapping sandwiches in. They said they purchased it at a health food store.

If you know what I'm talking about, please let me know where you can get these? I am desperately looking for an alternative to baggies or plastic wrap for my son's sandwiches.

thanks

#2 ·
Yes, I have one for dd. It was made locally in Loveland, CO. I think you might be able to ger them from Wild Oats web site. Good luck. Tip: buy more than one because they get really gross if not washed completely!

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BathrobeGoddess
Yes, I have one for dd. It was made locally in Loveland, CO. I think you might be able to ger them from Wild Oats web site. Good luck. Tip: buy more than one because they get really gross if not washed completely!
Thanks!!!

#4 ·
The only wrappers like this that I've ever seen used VINYL on the interior surface that touches the food! Vinyl offgasses horrible chemicals for a long time, so it's not a good choice for food packaging. Some plastic wraps are vinyl, but others are the same plastic (I forget the name) as sandwich bags.

I wrap sandwiches in waxed paper. Disposable, yes, but biodegradable and not unhealthy AFAIK.

#7 ·
We also use the square containers- the "Glad" ones. Ds claims they keep the sandwhich "fresher" too. The few times I've used a baggie, he's refused to eat the sandwhich claiming it got "soggy like that."

I don't know about the plastic though. It is recycleable plastic - - #2 - does that tell you anything about its safety?

#8 ·
OH, the rubbermaid containers would be great. I'll look for one next time I'm at the thrift shop.

Remember those great Tupperware lunch boxes? They had little containers for everything. I just loved those. I think it was orange and the little handles snapped together. I wish I could find something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.