Full day K--when did this happen? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 08-15-2006, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We enjoyed our full-day Kindy experience. It was full-day, every other day.

The teacher did a great job of planning activities. Brainy, concentraty stuff was done in the morning. After lunch and recess, they had a quiet time to rest and nap. The kids who weren't napping could do art or play and explore. By Christmas break, almost all the kids weren't needing a nap anymore and the class could do more group activities.

Our public school is starting full day kindy this year and I know their afternoon won't be as relaxed. I guess I'm for full-day Kindergarten, but not full-day instruction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 08-18-2006, 04:53 AM

Our local school district has half day Kinder. The school my dd goes to is our
church's school. They offer full day and half day Kinder. They do the same for
preschool. They have 3 yo preschool 2 days a week, half day. Then 4yo preschool
is 3 days or 5 days, your choice, half days.

I like having the choice. It makes it so that parents can do what is best for
their child.
My dd is addicted to school. Most of June was spent with her asking how
long summer would last. The last two weeks she has been marking the
calendar until school starts. She was in the 5 day program last year. This
year she will be in full day Kinder.

I think it really depends on the child. My niece was put into full day K last
year and everyday would fall asleep on the bus coming home. It was too much
for her. My dd and her are they same age (my dd is actually 2 months older) and
I held her back a year. So she is entering full day Kinder at age 6, this might
make a huge difference for many kids.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#33 of 45 Old 08-18-2006, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! It seems like full day is more common now from what you all are saying.

I really, really wonder if that has more to do with both parents working, than it does for what is better for the children. Not that that is a bad thing, but I wish there were options for those children who still have moms at home. I know the kinders here (and some of yours, from the posts here) have rest or nap time in the afternoons. I just figure, my kid can come home at noon and nap here if he wants to, or not nap and spend time with our family.

I just don't understand it. Children in the US are NOT ahead academically from where they were 30 or 50 years ago, but they are made to go to school longer and earlier in life.: For what?
#34 of 45 Old 08-18-2006, 02:26 PM

Full day K is optional here. Not every elementary school in the district offers it, but we can choose any school in the state depending upon what space is available. It costs about $100/month, I think, which is considerably less than the cost of afternoon daycare.

I'm observing that K today is what 1st grade used to be. Half day programs are high on the cram stuff in because they feel so much pressure to keep up with the full day. It's telling that all the teachers and administrator I talk too are very happy to hear of kids starting late, especially boys. (By late I mean holding back a year for early fall, summer, and even spring birthdays.)
#35 of 45 Old 08-18-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly crunchy

I just don't understand it. Children in the US are NOT ahead academically from where they were 30 or 50 years ago, but they are made to go to school longer and earlier in life.: For what?
And they are expected to cope with sit down academics and homework earlier and earlier and I don't think we're seeing that they're ahead as it's assumed that they will be.
#36 of 45 Old 08-18-2006, 04:09 PM

I will go back and read the rest in a minute but my oldest daughter who went to K in 1998 went to full day K. They had a lot of behavior problems in that class and my daughter was often sent to the principals office. I think she has like three referrals before the end of K. She also had 1 and was often keep in at recess if "I" forgot to send her homework back on Friday. It was her responsibility to bring it back not mine so she should have made sure it was in her backpack. : I switched schools and she has NEVER EVER had another behavior problem since.

My 2nd daughter went to K in 2003/2004. It was half day.

The school where we live now does something odd. They go full day Mon, Wed, (another group Tues, Thurs.) then everyone goes a half day on Friday.

Seems to me like the traditional half day AM/PM classes would work better.
#37 of 45 Old 08-18-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys
This is interesting--do most kids in your area go to full day every day preschool? I'm interested in where you guys live in the Bay Area (if you don't mind sharing that). I've never heard of kids going full day preschool here, unless the parents are working, and then it's really mostly daycare anyway...
Yea I was thinking that when I read this the first time as well. We are orginally from the North Bay and I have never heard of a full day preschool either.

Anything after X amount of time was just free play outside and as you said, day care.
#38 of 45 Old 08-18-2006, 04:28 PM

My town has no public kindergarten whatsoever! I wish they did b/c it would save us money and I think kindergarten is very important for kids to get ready to start 1st grade! Since there isn't a public one here, we paid for our twins to go to a half-day school. A half-day was definitely enough for them though I'm sure they could've handled more. They loved it!
#39 of 45 Old 08-18-2006, 11:38 PM

Slightly Crunchy - I have heard the question about working parents raised a bunch of times, but at least where I live I don't think the school system is very responsive to working parents. It is VERY difficult to get before or aftercare for children (which you are likely to need even with fullday kinder since most people need to spend 8 hours at work plus a commute...)

I think the people that advocated for it in my state really believe it is better for the kids. I don't know whether or not they are correct, but I do get the impression that they felt they were creating a more level playing field for all kids rather than helping working parents.

Your question about kids not ending up better educated is an interesting one to me...I am always hearing kinder is what first used to be, first second, etc. etc. and I can't help wonder if they spend some year in middle school staring blankly out a window since in the aggregate SAT scores are pretty stable???
#40 of 45 Old 08-19-2006, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys
I think the people that advocated for it in my state really believe it is better for the kids. I don't know whether or not they are correct, but I do get the impression that they felt they were creating a more level playing field for all kids rather than helping working parents.

Your question about kids not ending up better educated is an interesting one to me...I am always hearing kinder is what first used to be, first second, etc. etc. and I can't help wonder if they spend some year in middle school staring blankly out a window since in the aggregate SAT scores are pretty stable???
It could be that it has nothing to do with working parents. I was only speculating. I really don't know what happened in my area; I guess it has been this way for a long time.

It is so funny that you say that about middle school. Just last week I toured a private elem. school that is a feeder school into the private (and some public) high schools in my town. The principal went on and on about the curriculum and how kindergarten is what first used to be, and how their students in 4th and 5 th grade were doing 6th grade level work. She then said that students and parents come back and say how well prepared the children were for middle school, and that sixth grade is basically a review for them. She seemed to think this was a great thing. :
#41 of 45 Old 08-19-2006, 10:15 AM

Our town only offers a half day program. When I asked about it I was told it was due to classroom space. This was reasonable to me as the school is small and only had one classroom for kindergarten. They are now in the process of expanding the school with no plans to add a second classroom for Kindergarten. This now tells me that it is a 1/2 day to save money.

The move to full day kindergarten is not because of working parents. It is because the US schools have been failing for a long time and full day kindergarten was thought to be a good idea. With No Child Left Behind (but I won't go into my rant about this stupid program) and the intense focus on test scores children need to know more then ever before starting first grade.

I sent my children to Private Kindergarten. For my kids, I felt a 1/2 day was useless.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#42 of 45 Old 08-20-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb
For my kids, I felt a 1/2 day was useless.
I'm interested in what you mean by this--could you expand?

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#43 of 45 Old 08-20-2006, 10:30 AM

I work full time and my kids had been an all day program all of their lives. The day care I chose for them ran as a school. Throughout the day there was instruction mixed with free time. They had a gym, an art studio, language enrichment, gymnastics, dance, computers. They both loved it and thrived. The Full day Kindergarten program they offered was continued in this vein plus a much smaller class size. DS had a class of 9, DD a class of 13. When researching what my town kindergarten was offering it did not measure up for me. The class size would have been over 20 kids. I just did not see how the teacher could teach all that the full day was offering in 2 1/2 hours. Our town also offers a Kindergarten enrichment program-which is another 2 1/2 hours of playtime. They would place my child on a bus that would take them to a different school for this. I know of one child who they forgot to put on the bus.

For my kids they were already used to an all day program and they loved it, that is why I felt the 1/2 day would be useless for them. Now my friends son who never went to school until Kindergarten-a half day was perfect for him. It was a good introduction to a school setting and did allow him to transition well. Although, he probably would have done well in a full day program, too.

I hope I did not sound like I was slamming the 1/2 day program. That was not my intent.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#44 of 45 Old 08-20-2006, 12:37 PM

Our town is only half day--there are no full day options, and there is a lot of complaint about that.
#45 of 45 Old 08-21-2006, 08:49 PM

in 1981, i went to a full day K at a catholic school. i'm pretty sure that the local school district also had full day K. i moved to a different city (in the same state) about 3 years ago. a few years ago, very few of the public schools in the area had full day K. however, in the past few years (and esp this school year), many schools are going to a full day K. (actually, i think full day K was just mandated in NY.)

i'm also a substitute teacher with one of the local suburban districts. there's a broad socio-economic range of families in this district. some of typical middle class families, while others live in broken homes that are reminiscent of the bad parts of the city.

i subbed in K a few times this year. it was 1/2 day this past year and will be full day this year. there were days that i had no clue how the teacher was able to accomplish her entire lesson plan in the 2.5 hours the kids were there. i went to college to teach middle/high school students, and normally work with the older kids. i forget how needy some of these kids can be. we live in NY where we spend much of the year in coats, boots, hats, mittens, etc. it takes the kids about 10+ minutes just to get their winter things off and put away! and the same thing has to be done right before they go home! they have their routine of "calendar," singing the days of the week song, the months of the year, abc's, etc. its a very structured day with not much time for play. yes, they do do some fun stuff, but everything they do has some specific scholastic benefit, vs just having free time to play house just for the sake of having fun. i think with a longer day there would be more time for fun play vs educational play.

i also subbed in pre-k a few times. pre-k was 1/2 day, every day. when i subbed, it was closer to the beginning of the school year, and most had adjusted pretty well to school. every now and then there would be tears getting off the bus, and it was often the same student who was having a rough day away from mommy. there was a LOT more free time to play and pretend in pre-k, and that difference in amount of play time is a big difference between the pre-k and K programs at this district.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page