Paying for things at public schools - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I know public schools recieve money for each day the school is open and children attend...believe me I know that all too well when we are six feet high in snow and used up our two snow days...but that is only public schools...the law existed long before the funds were ever put out...I never implied the gov't was being altruistic and caring...

Back to the school supplies thing...some added trivia...back in Colonial times children were required to bring in firewood as their school supply...and those that didn't had to sit the farthest from the wood stove...hehe My students get a kick out of the Colonial unit we do...

Teachers also were paid by the parents...many times they were paid in eggs, chickens and other farm products!

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#182 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIrises
.but that is only public schools...the law existed long before the funds were ever put out...I never implied the gov't was being altruistic and caring...
My point was that the laws are being re-written now to recoup that money from parents whose children miss too much school.
#183 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama
The 3 boxes of Kleenex were for THIS MONTH!!! They want more!!! In September!!!

OH...and we are EXPECTED to contribute home made baked goods every wednesday for 'teacher's day' for the teachers to eat at their weekly meetings. :
I'd like to see a hardcopy of this...I think we are just school bashing now!

#184 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT

While you are a teacher and I understand you wanting to stand up for your profession, no where in this thread was anyone complaining about TEACHERS themselves. They were venting about the situations that caused teachers to send home long long lists of demands for school supplies. Especially name brand supplies.
Actually several of the beginning posts were pointing out teachers and their ridiculous requests. So some people were venting about the teacher's response to lack of supplies.

Teachers, not school districts, create the class lists. These lists are created b/c the supplies are not provided. The lists should contain items used by the children not the teachers. Some items are necessary to have a functioning classroom (pencils and crayons), some seem to be outlandish requests (dry erase markers?...those are children supplies those are teacher supplies), and some are health supplies (tissues).

#185 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Actually several of the beginning posts were pointing out teachers and their ridiculous requests. So some people were venting about the teacher's response to lack of supplies.

Teachers, not school districts, create the class lists. These lists are created b/c the supplies are not provided. The lists should contain items used by the children not the teachers. Some items are necessary to have a functioning classroom (pencils and crayons), some seem to be outlandish requests (dry erase markers?...those are children supplies those are teacher supplies), and some are health supplies (tissues).
In the post you quoted, I quoted post #3 where the OP acknowledged that it wasn't the teachers fault but the fault of the school boards or whoever for not providing the supplies.
#186 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 07:46 PM

I recycled my dd's pencils from last year. She got a lot of pencils as prizes and things from teachers so by the time the school supply list rolled around she had over 12 unsharpened, unused pencils. I just put them all back in her pencil case. Anyways, this thread has me really thinking and although my budget was tight this year I am seriously thinking about getting a good bit of extras next year and sending them to school.
#187 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
The two things are not even equal. Are you saying that your volunteer time is worth a box of tissues. Instead of spending $1 on dollar store tissues or $3 on brand-name tissues, you give that "amount of time" to the classroom. This seems more like a point to prove than an economic issue. The parents who lived in shelters when I taught in NYC found a way to send in tissues when needed...IT'S A BOX OF TISSUES...let's gain some perspective here. Maybe you could look past your need to not buy tissues and think about the fact that we, teachers, are spending our own money. You are not the only one who lives on a budget. Teachers are not the highest respected or highest paid profession. I've spent over $60,000 for my education, both under-grad/grad at a state school...I don't make close to that. Come Dec, I'm dropping down to one income so I can be home with my newborn. We just get by now as 2 people on two incomes, who knows what three people on one income will bring my household. However, I still went out and spent a bunch of money for cute little first day of school gifts, arts/crafts stuff, bandaids, books, etc for 24 little ones I've never met...is it that much to ask that you help out the teacher's expense by sending in a box of dollar-store tissues?

I stated in a previous post that I did send in generic tissues one year...they were sent home with a note stating that they only will take kleenex brand. Two boxes at the beginning of the year, and requests for more later in the year; kleenex brand only.

My sister is a elementary school teacher, I'm all to aware that she spends $$ out of her own pocket for supplies. FWIW, there are other professions that spend $$ out of pocket for supplies etc. I'm not saying that I'm OK with that, I do know that it occurs.

My husband and I both spent a considerable amount of money on our education and don't make anywhere near what we spent on our education in one year...what is your point with that comment?

Obviously my time is worth much more than a box of tissues. My point was that there was an assumption that anyone questioning the excessive lists was selfish and complaining instead of actively working towards change; I was pointing out everything that I do to work for change and support the school in a way that works for my family. In addition to volunteering my time, I attend PTA type meetings, attend school board meetings, and vote for canidates that will work for change in the school system. These things work for my family. Spending hundreds of dollars for supplies does not work for my family. I would hope that a teacher could see the value in what I am doing.

Please don't make assumptions about what any particular family can or cannot afford.

It's not just about the tissues. It's the entire list. I can not afford to purchace everything on the list, especially with all the name brands, without putting a strain on our monthly budget. Unless our financial situation changes, I'm not sure what we'll do if/when we have three kids attending public school. I've spent about $50 so far on supplies and there are still many more items on the list.

No one here is saying that it is the teachers fault. No one here is OK with teachers spending $$ out of pocket. We as parents were venting, that all. Perhaps we would have gotten around to brainstorming about how we could each work to fix this problem, but instead this thread has turned into venting about the venting. That's not going to accomplish anything

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#188 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 11:13 PM

I just want to add that I taught in the Detroit Public Schools for 10 years and let me tell you, schools in shambles do exist and nobody cares. Let's see, we wore our winter coats many many days in the classroom for lack of heat. Hot or warm water? Yeah, right! Soap? Only because the teacher's bought it ourselves. Paper towel? Lucky if we had toilet paper. Windows NAILED shut to prevent break-ins. Bullet holes in the top tier of my classroom windows that were never patched.....I have the bullet casings to prove it. I worked many days with no electricity. Oh, and let us not forget the three months we had no janitors at all and the teachers had to clean the school...sweep, vacuum, and mop the floors. Scrub the tables. Clean the bathrooms.

Was this the district's problem? Absolutely. Did they care or do anything about it? Nope. We, the teachers, did our best because we were the safe haven for many of these children. I worked with an amazing group of people who truely put children first...and asked for kleenex and supplies IF parents could afford a little extra. Placing blame on who is responsible for the supplies (district, teacher, parent) does nothing to help the education of the children. Public education is about giving every child a chance, even when their parents or society could care less. I personally want to live in an educated society, but maybe that's just me.

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
#189 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato2boys
I stated in a previous post that I did send in generic tissues one year...they were sent home with a note stating that they only will take kleenex brand. Two boxes at the beginning of the year, and requests for more later in the year; kleenex brand only.

My husband and I both spent a considerable amount of money on our education and don't make anywhere near what we spent on our education in one year...what is your point with that comment?

Please don't make assumptions about what any particular family can or cannot afford.
It is crazy that a teacher would refuse a box of tissues, but if so, every sequential teacher/classroom has to reap the punishment by not getting any tissues b/c one teacher was picky...it just seems spiteful.

My point with the education/salary comment taken as a whole was in rebutal of your constant mention of lack of income. Well you are not the only person who might be on a tight budget. There are teachers, like myself, that are picking up the slack. My budget is going to be extremely tight come Dec, but I am still buying supplies for students who might not have them, regardless of the fact that the money could be saved and used for my son. Sept is a tight time to get all the supplies together, but can't the tissues be sent in maybe in Nov when the few dollars has been saved up?

It seems that several parents have teachers that have abused the supply list concept and that is very unfortunate. Supply lists should be for supplies for the child. As I mentioned before, teachers should not be asking for dry erase markers or items that are for their use. If I was a parent I would be annoyed by that for sure. That should be addressed by the parents to the teacher. But don't it out on the tissues...we need the tissues!

As teachers, we have learned that some brands are superior. I personally do ask for Fiskar scissors b/c they are superior as one PP mentioned and it really makes a difference with children who have issue with fine motor skills. I have some relic metal scissors in my scissor bin and the children dread being the last one to borrow a pair and having to use those. Although Crayola are better crayons, I don't request name brands for them or anything else. As for tissues, I again don't care what brand, but I have heard many of my students gleefully say, "ooh these are the softies with lotion". A random box of extra soft tissues can really help out a crusty, over-blown nose. Heck in my classroom we've had to resort to the brown cardboard-like paper towels when we are out of tissues!

Recycling from last year is a great way to save up. If the supplies still work, use them. As a PP stated she saves all the fancy "gift" pencils (that the teacher paid for out of pocket, I'm sure) for the following year. Way to be resourceful. Pencil cases, markers, crayons, scissors, rulers, bookbags and even folders don't have to be brand-new...reuse last years items. No supply list is demanding new supplies, just supplies.

#190 of 209 Old 08-21-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
It is crazy that a teacher would refuse a box of tissues, but if so, every sequential teacher/classroom has to reap the punishment by not getting any tissues b/c one teacher was picky...it just seems spiteful.

My point with the education/salary comment taken as a whole was in rebutal of your constant mention of lack of income. Well you are not the only person who might be on a tight budget. There are teachers, like myself, that are picking up the slack.

Recycling from last year is a great way to save up. If the supplies still work, use them. As a PP stated she saves all the fancy "gift" pencils (that the teacher paid for out of pocket, I'm sure) for the following year. Way to be resourceful. Pencil cases, markers, crayons, scissors, rulers, bookbags and even folders don't have to be brand-new...reuse last years items. No supply list is demanding new supplies, just supplies.

Our school lists are not given out individually by each teacher. There is a list for each grade and a basics list for the whole school. The kleenex brand is a request for the entire school, not one particular teacher...but again the issue isn't kneenex. I suppose I could decide not to purchace other items, but then I'm sure we'd be discussing how vital those are for education/ health/safety.

Sorry, I was unaware that my "constant" mention of a lack of income lead you to the impression that I didn't realize that others were on a tight budget too. There are many others in my community that are on a tight budget. That is one of the reasons why I and many of my neighboors attend school board meetings, and this issue has been brought up to them. We are actively working for change, not simply sitting back and complaining. FWIW, I rarely see teachers, as a group, attending these meetings and bringing up these issues. Perhaps if we worked together for change something could be accomplished. It's difficult to get across the fact that the current system is not working when there are only a handful of people working for change.

And, like the other poster, we do recycle supplies. I'd hate to think what we'd be spending on supplies if we didn't recycle

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#191 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 06:30 AM

I just had the memory of a few years ago.....I took my four children, plus a friend's two boys, all to Target for back to school shopping, only the stuff on the required lists. We had three carts, and I had two children sharing each cart. To be honest, I am sure that I threw in a handful of my own necessities during the trip, but almost every single item was mandatory.
The bill at the end of the shopping? Over $600.00!
It is nice to hear the flip side, from the teacher standpoint, and I just want to thank every teacher who has wiped any noses, and preached good hand hygiene to the class. As a nurse, that is one of my hot buttons.
Enjoy the Kleenex runs, I just send a blank check to my college son for books for one semester, he spent over $400.00 at the book store! UGH!
#192 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd like to see a hardcopy of this...I think we are just school bashing now!
*throws up hands*

I guess this means you think I am a liar.

I am officially done with this train wreck of a thread I started.

It is painfully obvious which (sensitive!!!) posters are teachers on this thread.
#193 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugginsmom
I just want to add that I taught in the Detroit Public Schools for 10 years and let me tell you, schools in shambles do exist and nobody cares. Let's see, we wore our winter coats many many days in the classroom for lack of heat. Hot or warm water? Yeah, right! Soap? Only because the teacher's bought it ourselves. Paper towel? Lucky if we had toilet paper. Windows NAILED shut to prevent break-ins. Bullet holes in the top tier of my classroom windows that were never patched.....I have the bullet casings to prove it. I worked many days with no electricity. Oh, and let us not forget the three months we had no janitors at all and the teachers had to clean the school...sweep, vacuum, and mop the floors. Scrub the tables. Clean the bathrooms.

I couldn't read this and not respond. You are one tough lady! I taught for a while in a tough urban district, but nothing like this. Hugs to you, mama, for dealing with this for 10 years. No Child Left Behind, my foot!

I've been watching this thread for a while now, and I couldn't go any longer without responding. Please, people, just send in the darn tissues! Just because you are all responsible and send tissues/hankies with your children to school when they are sick doesn't mean the rest of the world does. I used to have to give a lecture to each 1st grade class about how you can use a tissue more than one time. The kids honestly did not know. If you truly can't afford it, I'm sure the teacher will not even bat an eye if you explain.

Sorry for adding another "sensitive" teacher's voice to the thread. :
#194 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yeah, WTF is going on here?

This thread was a RANT thread about ridiculous school supply lists. We all know that schools are underfunded, admin is horrible, and teachers aren't paid darn near where they should. Noone is arguing that one.

So can we get back on topic, or what? I used to work as a teacher aide in special education, and then last year I did a lot of observation hours and volunteer work in two classrooms last year.

OUR school lists are written by admin, not the teachers as one list for each school. Same with the last school I volunteered at, and the schools I grew up in.

Noone is denying that we should feel "a little lucky" that our kids are getting a "free education". But isn't that supposed to help those of us that work hard and still can't make ends meet to send all of the name brand supplies sometimes? Fall is a hard time for our family, financially. Dh is a teacher (well, was until this year), so I know all too well how it goes.

But I don't think that I should feel guilty about complaining about the name brand baggies that are being requested of me on here, when it's a RANT thread and there are other parents going through the same thing.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#195 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM

I have to laugh - we were shopping yesterday, picking up some groceries, and I saw a "back to school" display with Kleenex 3-packs. Two boxes were just the generic colors, and one box with "cool" things on them. We picked up two packs - one with a box with scenes from the movie "Cars" on it, the other with "Lilo and Stitch". Both of the character boxes are in my son's backpack ready to go to his second grade classroom on Monday for the first day of school, two of the plain boxes are in my daughter's backpack to keep in her locker. Without this thread, I'm not sure if I would have thought to buy them - thanks!
#196 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do like the idea of community supplies. not only does it help prevent waste but ir hlps prevent theft. sitting in a bucket under the deak is not safe!

ok I realize thier is veering of topic a bit but since that ship has sailed already . . . .

BlueIrsis -

your pencil idea is freaking genius. Not only does it ensure everyone has a pencil but it eliminates the endless interuption of the pencil sharpener in the classroom. Do you find there are neligerant parents who insist on sending special penicils with thier children to make them special? For instant, little suzie really wanted those My Little Pony Pencils mom brought. So once mom figures out everyone but little suzie is using them she gets in a huff and goes andbuys suzie pencils for her desk that she doesn't have to share (since she has already contributed). Would this be iritating? if i were the teacher it would tick me off because they are not being a team player but in the end she really isn't hurting anything since she contributed her fair share. So long as she wasn't making a mess or interupting class time sharpening them. but it would really effect how I felt about that family. Just wondering if that even comes up . . .

secondly - what on earth do you use post it notes for? Those were on someones list this year and they are so dang expensive. I just assumed they were something the teachers use but it sounds like your students use them too.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#197 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 01:36 PM

I did not read the entire thread, but I did want to put in my two cents. Until DS was born I taught fifth grade for six years. We were told by administration that since public education was free, we were not allowed to ask parents to buy ANYTHING. We could get in trouble for asking. The school supplied construction paper and lined writing paper and chalk and a stapler and about fifty pencils for the whole year, but the rest was on me. I spent over a thousand dollars each year for the kids. I don't think that's fair either. I was unable to do lots of projects b/c I couldn't ask for things. I did a terrarium project a couple of years ago making a terrarium to teach the water cyle using an old two liter soda bottle. I asked them to bring them in, but when over half my class didn't, guess who had to search for cheap soda to buy for the bottles which I don't even drink? I feel for the parents asked to spend ridiculous amounts of money but my scenario is wrong as well. I just want parents out there to know not all teachers are like that. In fact, I don't know any like that.
#198 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen ann
I haven't gotten a supply list for DS starting kindergarten (at least not yet). But his friend just moved to the next town over, and not only did they get a list, it was brand specific -- not the cheapo discount brands either: Crayola crayons, Fiskar scissors, Puffs brand tissues, etc.
This is what I saw too when my DD started K last year. They didn't say you HAD to have those brands, but they prefered thems. I had a hard time finding some of the things on her list this year. Went to three stores to find a RED plastic folder.
#199 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 02:34 PM

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com

try this site for discounted school supplies. They have a lot of things at 60+% off right now too.
#200 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
BlueIrsis -

your pencil idea is freaking genius. Not only does it ensure everyone has a pencil but it eliminates the endless interuption of the pencil sharpener in the classroom. Do you find there are neligerant parents who insist on sending special penicils with thier children to make them special? For instant, little suzie really wanted those My Little Pony Pencils mom brought. So once mom figures out everyone but little suzie is using them she gets in a huff and goes andbuys suzie pencils for her desk that she doesn't have to share (since she has already contributed). Would this be iritating? if i were the teacher it would tick me off because they are not being a team player but in the end she really isn't hurting anything since she contributed her fair share. So long as she wasn't making a mess or interupting class time sharpening them. but it would really effect how I felt about that family. Just wondering if that even comes up . . .

secondly - what on earth do you use post it notes for? Those were on someones list this year and they are so dang expensive. I just assumed they were something the teachers use but it sounds like your students use them too.
I can't credit for the pencil idea...I stole it from a fellow 1st grade teacher when I taught in NYC. Every year I still get students who bring in the glitter pencils and other cool pencils but I do not bend the rules. If you let one person slide they all come up with reasons why they need that particular pencil. I just sit them down on the carpet and we talk about the value of things. Pencils are useful and necessary but their value is minimal. They cost maybe a penny or two to make, even with the glitter. Then I usually talk about invaluable things like health, friendship, and grandparents. We talk about putting things in perspective. I'm collecting their pencils, not their grandparents, best friends, favorite pet or even their bicycles. It is just a pencil. (this always makes them giggle) We also talk about how they have all experienced being in class without a pencil and how that feels to be "unprepared". I ask them wouldn't you love to know that everyday that you come to school, your teacher has made an extra special effort to ensure you have what you need to be prepared, and of course they all say yes. As I collect the pencils, they keep 2 to start off with so they have pencils to trade when they wear down or break. I tell them just b/c I am collecting them and putting a few out each day, it doesn't mean they won't end up with their special pencil. It is funny b/c they often forget which are theirs b/c there are other cool ones in there they want to use...so you do have to discuss that it takes 3 seconds to get a pencil otherwise they will an hour searching through all 40 for the best sharpest, least used eraser. If later in the year they have a truly special pencil, such as Student of the Month pencil, and the point breaks, they still have to put it in the "in" bin (broken pencil bin) and take a sharpended one from the "out". They can later trade back the one they borrowed and get back their special pencil.

This has totally saved me money on pencil sharpeners too. I was buying new sharpeners every year sometime twice and at $50 a pop it was getting out of control. Now I am the only person who uses it so no little hands are breaking it on me. It has also stopped the endless mess of pencil shavings from being on my floor...I am a total neat freak and that use to drive me crazy. As you stated, they are no longer able to distract themselves by endlessly sharpening pencils down to nothing, to avoid having to listen to me. I now get their full attention... yeah right!

They do have hand sharpeners but they are only for colored pencils, which may never go in my electric sharpener b/c they break them...

If you are serious about the implementation of the system it totally works...if you fail to make them trade, then the system will fall apart b/c they will never give in they will only take out.

Oh the post-its are for note-taking during independant reading. It is part of this whole Balanced Literacy movement that is rushing through schools everywhere. They are for the students not for me. My students do not buy any of my supplies.

#201 of 209 Old 08-22-2006, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It is part of this whole Balanced Literacy movement that is rushing through schools everywhere.
that explains it. only one school here requires it so i thought it was just a weird private school thing but then you said you ask for them . . . so it is part of implimenting a nationwide program.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#202 of 209 Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 AM

Quote:
I never said word one about the Silicon Valley. Seems you are making assumptions now.

In the heat? The rolling blackouts went on during the winter when it was cold. You would have been WITHOUT heat just as my daughter was. I have never seen a school in my LIFE with a backup generator and at the time we lived in an upper middle class neighborhood.

Then maybe you should have started with the county then the state board of education. Or the news stations.

Some people do. Who are you to say what they should and should not do/believe.
[/QUOTE]

Why don't you believe her? I lived in Oakland and volunteered in public schools and saw things like she described all the time. A high school with 2000 students and one broken down bathroom. . ..broken windows. . .no water, soap, TP, etc. Not enough desks, no books. Her description sounded right to me. I could not believe there were schools like that in California.
#203 of 209 Old 08-23-2006, 03:17 AM

Quote:

As for children sitting in the dark. If the power is out for more than 1 hour school is closed for the day and children are sent home. (Which is one reason rolling blackouts were never more than an hour at a time, and no more than once a day per grid.) And it is not like they are sitting in pitch black. Classrooms are wall to wall windows which let in NATURAL light.
That's an urban myth. We;ve been without power for whole days (with the kids telling us all day long that they are supposed to go home after an hour). Our windows are tinted, so it is dark. My roomlast year had no windows. Why am I joining your argument? ?? I promise to stop!
#204 of 209 Old 08-23-2006, 11:59 AM

i wanted to add something...

i LOVE my ds's teacher - her supply list is as follows....

thin markers, 1 pack, prefer crayola
glue sticks, prefer white/clear color, please no purple
$20 - to help pay for other supplies we will need throughout the year

so, i will spend $22 on supplies - the teacher will end up with $600 from the 30 kids in the class and she'll be able to get the things the class needs. There is also an option to bring extra money to help pay for kids who may not be able to as well as an option to bring anything or nothing.

#205 of 209 Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor
Why don't you believe her? I lived in Oakland and volunteered in public schools and saw things like she described all the time. A high school with 2000 students and one broken down bathroom. . ..broken windows. . .no water, soap, TP, etc. Not enough desks, no books. Her description sounded right to me. I could not believe there were schools like that in California.
And Oakland is one of the school districts that was taken over by the state due to mismanagement.
#206 of 209 Old 08-23-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor
That's an urban myth. We;ve been without power for whole days (with the kids telling us all day long that they are supposed to go home after an hour). Our windows are tinted, so it is dark. My roomlast year had no windows. Why am I joining your argument? ?? I promise to stop!
That is NOT an urban myth. Not only have I been sent home as kid because power was out for more than an hour, so have my kids. :

I went to drop off my kids kids at school one day and had teachers telling us school had been canceled because the power was out with no ETA on when it would be fixed. And THIS was in 2003.
#207 of 209 Old 08-23-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Public school are paid X amount of $ each day that your child attends school. If your child is absent because they are sick they don't get money that day. This is why schools always ask that you try to bring your child in at least part of the day if they have appointments or what not. They still get paid for a partial day.

Because of this, schools have begun fining parents when their children are out of school excessively. Generally the fines are for kids that are constantly cutting school, but I believe 100% that the fines are more about the lost ADA money than the schools generally caring about that kid.

If it was all about caring, they wouldn't call and yell at parents whose kids are legitimately out sick too often.
It's actually not just funding you can fail NCLB if on the day of testing if there are too many kids absent. And I guess as the wife of a "sensitive" teacher, I won't speak for administration but all the teachers I know do actually care about students who miss too much school and those that don't. My dh's favorite erstwhile pupil moved out of his parent's home early spring semester and stopped coming to school my dh went to great lengths to get him back to school and make sure he graduated and got into college.

To be honest given how tight school budgets are I almost can't blame districts trying to protect what revenue they do get.
#208 of 209 Old 08-23-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
That is NOT an urban myth. Not only have I been sent home as kid because power was out for more than an hour, so have my kids. :

I went to drop off my kids kids at school one day and had teachers telling us school had been canceled because the power was out with no ETA on when it would be fixed. And THIS was in 2003.
Lucky them! We don't get off. It is really bad when you had a computer or video activity scheduled for that day.
#209 of 209 Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 PM

Our schools NEVER closed for power outages. Never. Oh, and we went two days with no running water. Disgusting, but the downtown admins kept saying it would be fixed in the next hour. What can you do? Leave the children unattended and go home because your "contract" says you can? Yeah, right.

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page