Mothering Forum banner

My youngest started kindergarten today!

986 views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  birthjunkie27 
#1 ·
and I'm so weepy

thankfully it's half day so it's only 3 hours a day, but I didn't think it would be this hard ~

I know I can find time to enjoy myself sew, read, yoga...... but this first week will take some getting used to~

See less See more
#4 ·
I hear you! My daughter starts Friday. My daughter is doing OK with it, she's pretty excited, feels BIG, but I am struggling. It's full day, she's only done 2 AMs of preschool and I swore up and down all last year I would not do full-day K this year. Well, it's our only option in the public schools and finances have changed for us this year --can't pay for private and I have to work part-time in the days so I can't really homeschool. I'm just really so sad and not ready for this and even though she's excited and I know she'll in the end be OK, it goes against everything I've wanted. I'd feel so much better if it were half-day or if I felt like more creativity, less testing emphasis was going on in schools these days, if it was something waldorf or montessori-ish...something where she could develop more at her own pace...

To make matters more difficult, my husband thinks it's the best thing for her and he's not used to being with her as much b/c he has to work so much, so he thinks I'm just a bit nutty for being so emotional.

But anyway I hear you about the weepiness. It's hard. Already I miss her!
You've got a couple days on us. is it getting easier on you??

#6 ·
My youngest started all-day K on the 7th. I was torn about keeping her in private K (half-day), but we did that with our ds and first grade was soooo hard. At least this way, she's adjusting to the full day along with other kids. Also, I've seen my older dd in K at the same school, and she had such a great year.

It was strange for the first few days. I still have moments in which it feels odd to have her gone. I am working at her old preschool (where she'd be in K if we'd gone that route) and it weird not to see her there.

I'm not getting nearly as much done as I thought I would, though! Getting off MDC would help, eh?

#7 ·
My ds started yesterday and he really liked it! I was really not looking forward to it for weeks ahead of time. But after we met the teacher, played at the playground etc I was feeling much better.

I spent about 1/2 hour at the back of his classroom with a handful of other parents and also went back at lunchtime before he came home. Got to talk w/the principal, etc and REALLY like it so far!

Ds said the only thing he didn't like was that they didn't have any tests. He was looking forward to that, altho I've never even mentioned the word test to him since birth.

#8 ·
: Today while ds1 was at school ds2 took a nap and the house was soo quiet. I thought I would like it, but I didn't.

DS1 didn't like his first day of school!
He said he didn't get to play, it wasn't fun, and it was too long. (He only goes 3hrs. per day.) I feel awful now. We told him how much fun it would be but now he doesn't think so. He wants to just play all day. Maybe tomarrow will be better??

#9 ·
dd1 started her first day wednesday. i'm feeling pretty lonesome even though i've got dd2 to keep me company. we're trying to get our sleep schedule adjusted, too. i really think it's the best school in the area for her, but it's full day and that seems so long. she really likes it so far and wants to go, but i'm thinking, maybe we should've homeschooled
. i just wish i could be a fly on the wall and know what was going on. she won't tell me everything and i wanna know it all...

#10 ·
Kailey starts tomorrow. I'm so nervous. I packed her backpack, she wants hot lunch tomorrow so I packed her money, wrote her name in permanent marker on the little baggie and now we're set. We have her uniform picked out, she took her bath this evening, yada, yada.

We have talked about how much fun K is going to be and she RARING to go. She even wants to ride the bus in the A.M., but I told her I would take her just this once. She'll be bused to and from the center she attends now- YEAH!

But, here I am, pulse racing and feeling an acid reflux attack coming on. I took a Nexium, to be safe but I still feel queezy

We really ARE excited about K, I just hope I don't cry.

#12 ·
Ok, so the acid reflux wasn't and isn't acid reflux, it's a stomache bug.

Kailey had a fantastic day at K!! I met her at the center and waited for her bus to arrive. She loved riding the bus and loved school. She said they did many fun things (I posted about it in the k tribe thread) and can't wait to go back. I KNEW she would love it! She won't go back untli Tuesday (they did staggered enrollment) and nearly broke down when i told her

It makes me feel so good knowing she had a wonderful first day, which hopefully will set the mood for the rest of the year. I remember absolutely LOVING kindergarten!

#13 ·
glad to hear people are having good experiences. my daughter loved it the first day too. i keep wishing i could be as happy about it as she is. 2 issues going on: one is struggling about it not being the best thing for her and two is that I'm having a hard time just missing her like heck missing all that long uninterrupted time. i know we'll get used to it and it'll be OK. i really wanted to homeschool or do hald-day K but oh well! at least she's loving it. hope i can get myself together and start feeling better about it, just start feeling happy for her that she's so happy. always takes me awhile to settle into major life changes. i keep thinking of that reading by kakahlil gibran: "your children are not your children. they are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself." it helps me try to let go a little.

#14 ·
It's so nice to hear everyone's children are having good experiences. I'm a little anxious for ds. Okay, so really I'm a nervous wreck.
He starts in a week in a school that we didn't know he was going to until last week (he was supposed to continue on at his old private "school" for kindergarten and I just can't make it work). So, no preparation time. It's going to be so different - he's used to being pretty much completely "free range" and is one of those whirlwind energy kids. Hopefully his experience will be as good as all of your children.

#15 ·
DD starts in a week 1/2 day kindy. I'm a nervous wreck. I'll still have DS with me all the time, and I know he is really going to miss her, as am I. But on the good side, the school has asked me to teach one morning a week, so I will be at the school and even teaching a mini-lesson to the kindy (I'm a Spanish teacher) so she is really looking forward to that. But it is a huge change for all of us so I definitely have mixed emotions.

#16 ·
My oldest ds starts full day k tomorrow, and you can add me to the list of anxious mamas. Full day is LONG.

Question; have you spoken to your kids starting school, and told them something along the lines of how you are excited for them, but will be missing them while they are gone?

I haven't but wanted to hear other opinions. I think my ds, and kids in general, pick up on your emotional state, even when your behaviour is normal, and am wondering if it is useful to acknowledge my mixed emotions (andhis possibly?).
Or is this just overdoing it?

#17 ·
My oldest started half day k 2 days ago. The house has been so quiet without her. The most heartbreaking part is her little brother saying he misses sissy.
: Come read my blog and see her bittersweet pics. (By the way, SHE was comforting ME telling me that it was going to be ok and that she has to go to school because she's getting bigger now).

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...0-a537df9d9e5f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.