what are your thoughts on the school shootings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2006, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your thoughts and feelings on the school shootings, and how does it make you feel about sending your child to school?

Does it make you consider homeschooling?

Does it make you wish your school had better security?

Are you satisfied with the security your school has?

I have 1 child in school and another homeschooled. My schooled child loves school so much that I cannot consider removing her based on what I consider to be a small risk (if you look at the millions of school children vs the handful of school shootings, it does look like a small risk).

What kind of security does your school have?

My feeling is that there are 2 different kinds of school shootings-- one is where a disgruntled student comes in for "revenge." Another kind of shooting is when a stranger not connected to the school attacks it (like the beslan massacre or the PA and colorado shootings).

I fear the "disgruntled student" kind of shooting more than the "stranger shooting" as it seems more realistic that it could happen. The stranger shootings are more random in that the attacker could have chosen any school, like a serial killer could chose any person. But the disgruntled student will have only 1 target, his own school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 04:33 PM

It's horrible these events took place in schools, but in these cases anyway, I don't think it's possible to prevent this kind of tragedy by increasing security or anything like that.

So no, these events haven't changed my perspective on school security. Our school's biggest security problem is that it's a bit of a pass through for trespassers, and the school does have security guards to discourage them. I'm not really afraid for my children.

There are many other schools in the area that are no where near as safe as they should be, but the problem isn't security, it's the fact that the schools have very limited options what to do with thug students. Students are afraid of the bathrooms, they're afraid to ride the school bus. Teachers are afraid of some of their students. Some students are openly hostile, calling their teachers names, hitting them with f-word while refusing to do what they're ask to do, intimidating them, while the meeker, mellower students literally take a "lay low" tactic to avoid the bullies. The students are often terrified to "rat" their abusers, even when they're hit, because the punishment is too often a short suspension, and the students are terrified of the revenge when the perpetrator comes back to school or if the perpetrator comes looking for them outside of school. I know students and their parents who won't even attend their school's football or basketball games, because misunderstandings turn into dangerous fights, cars are vandalized, it's just a mess.

While school officials try to beef up security and minimize these kinds of troubles, the real problem in my mind is that they're just unhealthy institutions to begin with. When students are forced together who really don't want to be or deserve to be there, it naturally creates all kinds of social dysfunction.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:07 PM

I am absolutely homeschooling my children. Besides the fact that they would learn more, I would feel so much better about their safety. I graduated highschool in the wake of Columbine and had to walk through metal detectors in my moved-there-for-the-schools suburban highschool. I just wish dsd's biomom would let me homeschool her. Me and DH both want to (esp now) and dsd wants to be homeschooled too. I feel like the school she is in now has pretty good security, but I think it could be better. If someone really wanted to shoot guns in the halls of her elementary school, they would be a lot better off posting a security guard at the door and checking my drivers liscense for the umpteenth time after saying "Hello Mrs T" before letting me take dsd home.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:13 PM

I think that the chances of a school shooting occurring at any particular school are miniscule, and so rationally it doesn't frighten me. On a gut level, of course the idea of anyone hurting my child fills me with dread! But really, it's so unlikely. I don't worry about driving her as a passenger in my car, and realistically that's much more dangerous.

There was just a bomb detonated in a library in Salt Lake City -- but I'm not going to keep her out of the library.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:18 PM

Homeschooling isn't an option for us, but even if it was I wouldn't choose it for that reason, just like I wouldn't stop driving or going to public places or flying just because one of the bad things might happen (and happens quite rarely out of the total population). I think some better enforcement of the gun laws we have might help this situation some, but if a crazy person wants to do nasty things they'll do it anyway. Home isn't necessarily safe either-- think of all the kids who've been kidnapped or murdered in their own house.

I think it's a particularly sad this last one happened to the Amish, who don't generally cause anyone else trouble and make a point out of living peacefully.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I found this entry in wikipedia, about the history of school shootings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting
Old 10-03-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I think that the chances of a school shooting occurring at any particular school are miniscule, and so rationally it doesn't frighten me. On a gut level, of course the idea of anyone hurting my child fills me with dread! But really, it's so unlikely. I don't worry about driving her as a passenger in my car, and realistically that's much more dangerous.
ITA.

The schools here are very lax on their security and IMO it serves a better learning environment for the students to have that than being treated like they're in a prison.

The school shootings do not change my opinion on sending the kids to public school.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:30 PM

Feh. It's America. I could get shot walking down the street, my husband could get shot at his workplace, I guess theoretically we could all get blown up by terrorists AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT unless we vote Republican. I can't get all hot and bothered everytime violence breaks out in a cold sweat across America, or I'd be hot and bothered all the time. The only thing I could do to avoid violence is to either A) keep my entire family at home and under my control at all times (and what a life!) or B) move to Canada. Where violence also happens, but not at the amazing clip as in the USA. Funny thing about gun laws, much?

But I also don't watch CNN news, and that keeps the heartrate down a bit.

If one were to be catty about school shootings, I'm quite sure I can find many instances of "homeschooling violence" where either homeschoolers or their parents went nutso and hurt family members. But there would be unique circumstances surrounding that situation, just as there are in the recent ones. Some people are crazy, and angry, and have quick, cheap access to guns, whether in a schooled or homeschooled situation.

I think it's hard to give up that control over our children and their environment, and imagine all the bad things that MIGHT happen if they were to leave our oversight. But it doesn't mean that it will happen, or that a lot of wonderful, amazing things MIGHT happen instead.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
But I also don't watch CNN news, and that keeps the heartrate down a bit.
I'm with you, there
Old 10-03-2006, 06:59 PM

Although I just read on Yahoo news that the dude had 600 rounds of ammo. See, what kind of country does one live in where a person can have 600 rounds of ammo and is not the army? What kind of hunting is a person planning to do with 600 rounds of ammo?

This country is majorly messed up. We spend so much on the fears of terrorists from without, when we have people terrorizing us daily from within. And it will be forgotten about by next Tuesday, when perhaps Paris Hilton gets a new set of earrings to match her doggie.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 PM

After these school shootings, the question "What if" did run thru my mind, however I don't have the option to homeschool, and like flyingspaghettimama
Quote:
I can't get all hot and bothered everytime violence breaks out in a cold sweat across America, or I'd be hot and bothered all the time.

One of my co-worker's dd goes to college where a father came on campus and shot his son's. I mean at what point do you stop homeschooling?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 PM

1Xmom - my dh & I went to that college (I am assuming you mean Shepherd in WV???) It has been so strange because it is such a safe college...really small little college community where everyone knows each other. That was such a strange and sad story...the sons were older (like 22 & 26 or something?)

BJ
Barney & Ben
Old 10-04-2006, 03:45 PM

Although my son is in kindergarten and his school has a unique setup - the K and 1st grade classes are in a separate building/annex from the rest of the school - I do find myself a little uneasy. I know he's safe, but I do worry about the upper grades as he gets older.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:31 AM

I've been a little freaked out for MY safety. I teach in the first room you'd encounter if you walked in the gate, even before office. I feel alittle unprotected (though maybe someone would be more likely to jump a fence). We are practicing lock-down drills this week. I keep my door locked. My dss actually has great security, so much so that his biomom can't pick him up from school because she doesn't have a drivers license! His school is on air force base property, so you have to go through a securtiy check point with armed gaurds to get to the school (we are not military, it's a public school) . I know that the most dangerous part of my work is the drive to school (40,000 people die in cars a year) but it just doesn't feel that way.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 AM

The recent shooting just make me so very sad. Children should not have to be afraid to go to school, but this current society seems so unpredictable and violent . My oldest daughter is in first grade and attends public school. I have thought of homeschooling her, but she is very very social and loves interactions with different people. It seems that anything can happen anytime, anywhere. Not only at schools but other places as well. I just wish humankind was simply more kind.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 AM

I'm not really any more worried about sending my kids to school after these horrible shootings. I'm probably going to homeschool, but that's for academic/philosophical reasons.

Some people suggest more gun control. I think we need to stop glamorizing violence and using "news" (i.e. someone else's tragedy) for entertainment. We can't count on the government or the networks to stop this for us. We need to turn off our TVs. I never watch TV news anymore and I certainly don't miss it. I think these warped killers get a thrill out of the idea of being celebrities, and I think they feed off each other. I don't think it's just a coincidence that the most recent murders at the Amish school came so quickly after the incident at the Colorado school. If we didn't have guns, these maniacs would come up with some other horrendous means. (Columbine killers had homemade bombs, man who killed Amish girls had intended to hang them--at least according to the news I read.)

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)

User Tag List